The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I was thinking the same. I thought the album got unfairly painted as trying to bite the Bad Boy formula due to Sunshine and I Know What Girls Like mainly. I think Volume 1 Jay definitely tried to broaden his sound and soften it up some to expand his audience. IMO Volume 2 was more biting of the Bad Boy formula by having tracks that appealed to all areas of the country. He had the down south with "Money Ain't A Thing", clubs with "Can I Get A", west coast with Short "A Week Ago", simplistic mainstream with "Hard Knock Life", streets with "Money, Cash, Hoes" "Reservior Dogs", fast rapping with Jigga What. That to me was more copying the Bad Boy formula of hitting every market with something.
To me Volume 1 is a Bad Boy sounding album because it literally follows the Bad Boy blueprint. Big and Jay rapped nothing alike, their subject matter was similar but how they attacked it was completely different. So the content of their songs weren't the same, but the sound/vibe of them were absolutely. At least to me. It's pretty clear.

Volume 2 was a Bad Boy sounding album as well, just didn't have the overall pop/colorful singles that Volume 1 had.

Last edited:

douche

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know whether or not it sounds exactly like a bad boy album [its very close] but I do remember Dame going around and doing interviews at the time and saying specifically "this album ain't for everyone." This album was JayZ's "electric circus". It was him experimenting and not chasing commercial success.

I used to play this album nonstop when it first came out. I loved it that much. No one at school was talking about it all for weeks/months. Then all of a sudden "a million" caught on. People loved that shyt. I looked at everyone like "where the fukk yall been?" JayZ is my favorite MC.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I don't know whether or not it sounds exactly like a bad boy album but I do remember Dame going around and doing interviews at the time and saying specifically "this album ain't for everyone". This album was JayZ's "electric circus". It was him experimenting and not chasing commercial success.

I used to play this album nonstop when it first came out. I loved it that much. No one at school was talking about it all for weeks/months. Then all of a sudden "a million" caught on. People loved that shyt. I looked at everyone like "where the fukk yall been?" JayZ is my favorite MC.
The funny thing is, I think the album is slept on. lol. It sounding like a Bad Boy album isn't even a slight, I still think it's a dope project. It got unfair hate because the Sunshine video.

iamduval

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know whether or not it sounds exactly like a bad boy album [its very close] but I do remember Dame going around and doing interviews at the time and saying specifically "this album ain't for everyone." This album was JayZ's "electric circus". It was him experimenting and not chasing commercial success.

That’s was the first def jam album. He shot a lot of visuals and it was kind of a disappointment, sales wise

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
This isn't the first time Mal has tried to put Jay on Malcolm's level and it's beyond disrespectful. And then this man tries to hype up Ariana fukking Grande, that man is nuts:hhh:
Yall still get aggy over what Mal say ? lol
mentally dude is a teenager, he never grew up

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Their Hov-engers shyt is corny at this point... but Ariana vocal skills are elite bruh.
Never said her skills weren't. My point is that he could of praised Jay without disrespecting the impact Malcom had on our us. Not trying to diminish anything Jay has done but he ain't on that level. And as far as Ariana, I'm not saying she can't sing but Mal was acting as if it's blasphemous to even think that anyone besides Whitney could fukk with her.

Yall still get aggy over what Mal say ? lol
mentally dude is a teenager, he never grew up
The problem is that they have a large audience and if something get's repeated enough time people will actually start believing it which can be very dangerous (see the Gamestop stock fiasco).

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I could definitely give you comps, sound wise. That's easy.

A Million and 1 Questions = 10 Crack Commandments
Lucky Me = Stevie J produced this, this is literally a Bad Boy record
Who You With II = Player Hater/Another
Where I'm From = Last Days
You Must Love Me = My Downfall
Lol hell naw

that’s crazy