The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I believe it close to being one in the same this what I found on the subject

What is the Difference Between Master Recordings and Music Publishing?
Basically the difference is that with owning your masters gives you the rights to distribute your own music. You alone makes the decision on what service can host your music.

Publishing means you get paid off people using your music. For instance the owners of your masters can allow a third party to use your song for a movie, but if you own the publishing, you get paid for them using your song.

Seems like you'd make more money from publishing but would have more control of your music with masters.

That's what I got from this article.

:yeshrug:

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
Y'all really don't think they would go behind a pay-wall? I feel like that's the logical move.

1) Podcast was free online on Soundcloud

2) Moved to an exclusive platform that required you to sign up for the free App with Spotify. All Joe really wanted was the "analytics" he claims, but why? So he can use that as a selling point to say not only did this many people follow us to a platform, but we grew our audience by this much. Which would justify a big bag to

3) Move behind a paywall in a deal that he keeps ownership of the Pod and gets a cut of ad revenue. At that/this point in the lifecycle of the Pod, he's just looking to sit back and get cake kicking it with his friends

Remember this post when it happens in 2 weeks :mjgrin:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
DJ Khaled just got an Amazon podcast :jbhmm:

Might be the new wave :jbhmm:
Here's an article on that Amazon podcasts news btw...

Amazon Music now has podcasts

Amazon Music now offers podcasts. The company issued an update today that brings more than 70,000 shows to the platform, including some major titles, like Serial and Pod Save America, as well as new exclusive deals like a show with DJ Khaled called The First One, where he’ll interview artists about their breakthrough hits and the stories behind them. Disgraceland, a popular show from iHeartMedia, will also become exclusive to the platform starting in February 2021.

Podcasts can be listened to through the updated Amazon Music app, on the web, or on Amazon Echo devices. Echo devices will search Amazon Music by default and will remember where listeners left off, regardless of what platform they use to listen.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Amazon will be selling ads for its shows, although it’s unclear if that means DJ Khaled and other hosts will be reading ads and if paid subscribers will hear these ads, similarly to Spotify.

Of course, this now makes Amazon Music even more of a competitor with Spotify, a company that’s already heavily invested in podcasts. Apple Music now stands out as the primary major music streaming app that has yet to integrate podcasts. Apple operates Apple Podcasts but has kept the two siloed from each other, even though podcasts and music are being combined across platforms to diversify catalogs and turn apps into the go-to places for all audio needs.

Amazon Music’s podcast update is especially intriguing given that Audible recently announced its newest and cheapest subscription plan that gives listeners access to exclusive podcasts. Those shows are seemingly not included in Amazon Music, meaning if people want to hear an Audible show, they’ll have to separately subscribe. Amazon Music, meanwhile, is including shows that are available across all platforms, which differentiates it from Audible currently.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Y'all really don't think they would go behind a pay-wall? I feel like that's the logical move.

2) Moved to an exclusive platform that required you to sign up for the free App with Spotify. All Joe really wanted was the "analytics" he claims, but why? So he can use that as a selling point to say not only did this many people follow us to a platform, but we grew our audience by this much. Which would justify a big bag to

3) Move behind a paywall in a deal that he keeps ownership of the Pod and gets a cut of ad revenue. At that/this point in the lifecycle of the Pod, he's just looking to sit back and get cake kicking it with his friends

Not giving out analytics should be illegal

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I’m confused by this analytics talk. So they signed exclusive with Spotify 2018 maybe Spotify convinced Joe to signing to an exclusive distribution deal would give them unique access to their ‘new analytics platform’.

2019, seems like EVERY podcast who distributes on Spotify can use their analytics platform. I’m assuming other providers like Stitcher, Overcast have their own ones too.

So if an exclusive deal was based on a technology that was readily available to everyone (where a year after they didn’t even need to go exclusive), going exclusive to Spotify ‘for the data’ was an ill-timed move, when non exclusive podcasts can get this now.

These are my assumptions but I want us to start digging into these technologies rather than just throwing around ‘data’ and ‘analytics’ without looking into the platform

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Episode 382 | "Thank You" - The Joe Budden Podcast with Rory & Mal
The end of this chapter has arrived. The guys reflect on the last two years during their exclusive deal (23:05), Joe addresses Mal's sports curse (48:22), new music (55:30), Kanye's Twitter rant (129:41), Roy Jones Jr. has a changed of heart (169:09), Nicki Minaj wins her lawsuit (174:40) and more.

Sleeper Picks:
Joe | Mark Morrison - “Return Of The Mack”
Rory | Roc-A-Fella - “We Are The Champions” (Ft. Kanye West, Cam’ron, Beanie Sigel & Twista)
Mal | Joe Budden - “So Long Goodbye”
Parks | De la Soul - “I Am I Be”