The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The problem with Joe’s argument is that we have seen major artists go years without dropping and their shyt gets panned or lukewarm reception when it comes out.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
That’s what Joe was saying artist that don’t drop regularly usually get whatever they release or leak propped up as really good work because the Stan’s are so starved for new music. I forgot what artist they were speaking about

In another recent segment about that, Joe mentioned the last album not being Kendrick's best, and that's true. But even as a huge Kendrick fan who was heavily disappointed by the album, I didn't really see a lot of actual fans propping that album up. Even the reviews were mixed, which never happens with him. My reaction is basically "well I hope he had to get this off his chest and the next one will be back on track."

I always think about Ice's brain dead reaction to SZA's album. Nearly a 6 year wait, dude listened once late and night and said it was mid. That's it. No reevaluation, no listening at a different time/mindset, nothing. Just immediate "I don't like this" and the end. Not sure how an artist should deal with that level of just fast food consumption. I wasn't into the Kendrick album but I listened to it quite a bit, specifically the songs I enjoyed or found interesting.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
"Who work harder between you and Ice?"

Joe nasty for asking that question and Ice nasty for answering it :snoop:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
In another recent segment about that, Joe mentioned the last album not being Kendrick's best, and that's true. But even as a huge Kendrick fan who was heavily disappointed by the album, I didn't really see a lot of actual fans propping that album up. Even the reviews were mixed, which never happens with him. My reaction is basically "well I hope he had to get this off his chest and the next one will be back on track."

I always think about Ice's brain dead reaction to SZA's album. Nearly a 6 year wait, dude listened once late and night and said it was mid. That's it. No reevaluation, no listening at a different time/mindset, nothing. Just immediate "I don't like this" and the end. Not sure how an artist should deal with that level of just fast food consumption. I wasn't into the Kendrick album but I listened to it quite a bit, specifically the songs I enjoyed or found interesting.
I feel like with the speed of how albums drop now, if you don't immediately grab the attention on first listen, you probably never getting another listen. I know that's how is for me now.

Back in the days, there weren't so many albums dropping, plus shows, podcasts, etc..so I would revisit albums after a while if I didn't like it the first time. But so much content is dropping so often, it kinda just gets lost.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

I feel like with the speed of how albums drop now, if you don't immediately grab the attention on first listen, you probably never getting another listen. I know that's how is for me now.

Back in the days, there weren't so many albums dropping, plus shows, podcasts, etc..so I would revisit albums after a while if I didn't like it the first time. But so much content is dropping so often, it kinda just gets lost.
Unless you’re a Stan of that artist the days of letting an album grow on you are pretty much over

Im a 6lack fan but that new album was so boring on initial listen there’s no way I will revisit with some much much and my disposal

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Parks sounding real opp'ish with this ai talk
That surprised me. One thing I noticed within the last couple years, before the AI shyt kicked off publicly, was that Spotify got exposed for creating fake jazz music. Fake artists were added to various jazz playlists (smooth jazz for instance) and a bit of digging connected them directly to Spotify. I'm not sure if this was an early, covert use of AI or a group of musicians anonymously commissioned by Spotify to create some tracks that will not require royalty payments or splits. Obviously the popularity of jazz is low so this didn't gain much traction beyond some Reddit and twitter posts.

Then last year I saw a report about AI being used to replicate jazz musicians by era. For instance you could program it to generate "1960s modal era Miles Davis" and it would generate a fake record that sounded like Kind Of Blue.

I also find it suspect that we're only hearing about this in relation to black music or black artists. You could convince me it was just based on what's popular (rap) if the jazz thing wasn't the first salvo.