ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
not much to be honest :obama: but it increases palestine's rights as a state that can join some other international bodies etc

basically the US and Israel were being super upset about this and threatening consequences the Palestinians were like "this is our right bro" and it turns out the US isn't really going to do anything about it

to break it down super simply the US/Israel says Palestine should negotiate with Israel directly but Palestine says Israel just uses negotiation as a delay tactic while making peace less possible

I think the biggest benefit they will get is "also opens the door to the Palestinians joining U.N. agencies, most critically the International Criminal Court, where they could use their newfound status to press for war crimes charges against Israel for military operations and construction of Jewish settlements on occupied territories. On the downside, the vote does not change the situation on the ground – a point Israelis have repeatedly stressed in an effort to blunt any appearance of defeat."-Huffingtonpost

They will be at the International Criminal Court pressing charges like crazy if anything else pops off with Israel. I think that is the biggest benefit.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
They will be at the International Criminal Court pressing charges like crazy if anything else pops off with Israel. I think that is the biggest benefit.

That's really a double edged sword. Palestinian Governments directly target civilians.

Also the US will be forced to pull funding from any UN Panels they join.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That's really a double edged sword. Palestinian Governments directly target civilians.

gonna put on my :tinfoil: real quick.

if the U.N. takes in a country that targets civilians, then targeting civilians becomes an accepted tactic in the U.N.

Globalist take control and point to this as a precedent to use deadly force to suppress civilian uprising?

:tinfoil:

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989

Dang...Well this will be interesting. I think the vote said more than anything that the majority of the world does not agree with Israel. This is a bad sign for them. I know the vote will mean nothing physically on the ground because they still need to negotiate boarders with Israel but it is a victory for them. Which is rare.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Dang...Well this will be interesting. I think the vote said more than anything that the majority of the world does not agree with Israel. This is a bad sign for them. I know the vote will mean nothing physically on the ground because they still need to negotiate boarders with Israel but it is a victory for them. Which is rare.

Why isn't Palestine a member state of the UN then?

That's correct nothing on the ground will change.

America already had to pull its funds from UNESCO. Which is ar real shame because they could really use the funding.

If the Palestine starts joining lots of panels this could really hurt our brothers and sisters around the world. I think Palestine is being incredibly selfish and shortsighted.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
Why isn't Palestine a member state of the UN then?

That's correct nothing on the ground will change.

America already had to pull its funds from UNESCO. Which is ar real shame because they could really use the funding.

If the Palestine starts joining lots of panels this could really hurt our brothers and sisters around the world. I think Palestine is being incredibly selfish and shortsighted.

I agree. I think Palestine is taking advantage of the sympathy they received too early and in the wrong forum. They should have negotiated those borders first. Its fukked up what is going to happen to UNESCO. I expect one of two things is going to happen. The violence is going to escalate or there will be negotiated peace that will last for a year. Hamas is out here :mj: but they have won nothing except some recognition from the UN...which is basically nothing in the end game.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I agree. I think Palestine is taking advantage of the sympathy they received too early and in the wrong forum. They should have negotiated those borders first. Its fukked up what is going to happen to UNESCO. I expect one of two things is going to happen. The violence is going to escalate or there will be negotiated peace that will last for a year. Hamas is out here :mj: but they have won nothing except some recognition from the UN...which is basically nothing in the end game.

word breh? They've waited a half century how much longer?

Israel and the US peace process is not working out. Palestinians should work towards their natural rights based on legal status, unafraid of threats

just a few hours ago you had the whole world arrayed against the US, Canada and Israel and some islands that are basically US pawns. Everyone sees that justice delayed decades is justice denied.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
word breh? They've waited a half century how much longer?

Israel and the US peace process is not working out. Palestinians should work towards their natural rights based on legal status, unafraid of threats

My whole point the is the upgrade is just going to let them bring matters to the international criminal court, where it will be stalled. They still don't have their own boarders as a country, they have a peace of paper that says, "Yeah we see you". But that's about it. It would have been better to get those boarders first then work their way to this. Especially since Israel was looking like a$$holes to the rest of the world for bombing on them in Gaza like crazy, they had the momentum to get the boarder deal done, but they went in this direction. We will see what happens. I want the Palestinians to get their own land and be free from the occupation but this is going to cause more problems than solutions. Israel's PM started bytching up a storm after the vote, you know he is going to do something foul.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
there is no confusion about the 'solution'. there is only delay.

for palestine
* state in west bank and gaza strip
* some (small percent) of refugees return to israel, others get compensation
* get some land from israel in return for some israel settlements in palestine areas

for israel
* demilitarized palestine
* some west bank settlements remain
* peace and normal relations with dozens of countries

:obama:

the only tough parts are the exact layout of the 1967 borders, water resources, some stuff like that. it's very hard to settle on that of course but it's basically a geographic issue

Haha what

According to this, you basically agree with what Israel has been pitching the Palestinians for years.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
toon-welcome+un.jpg

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
My whole point the is the upgrade is just going to let them bring matters to the international criminal court, where it will be stalled. They still don't have their own boarders as a country, they have a peace of paper that says, "Yeah we see you". But that's about it. It would have been better to get those boarders first then work their way to this. Especially since Israel was looking like a$$holes to the rest of the world for bombing on them in Gaza like crazy, they had the momentum to get the boarder deal done, but they went in this direction. We will see what happens. I want the Palestinians to get their own land and be free from the occupation but this is going to cause more problems than solutions. Israel's PM started bytching up a storm after the vote, you know he is going to do something foul.

like any international institution the ICC is a political body it's not going to take cases about Israel. The borders won't be figured out until the final negotiated settlement.. borders are pretty much what the argument is about

this UN bid was in the works well before the Gaza bombing. I think people don't realize the extreme diplomacy that it took behind the scenes especially countering US pressure on european countries