The Official Formula 1 Thread 🏁

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
These interviews with Lewis and George don't sound promising at all. I really hope these dudes are exaggerating :francis:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I still don't know what, if anything, I'm supposed to read into practice times. Just hoping that Mercedes and Lewis in particular are holding a lot back.
He didn't use DRS on his qualifying run, so he's not as far back as he looks. But the Mercedes isn't in the conversation with Red Bull and Ferrari right now. It's going to be a question on how close they are to the top of the midfield. The car looked mostly stable during the race simulations but there's a lot of sliding on corner exit. No idea if that's bad setup or wind gusts. He was moving to the right on the straights to avoid the bumps.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Mercedes is fairly open about the fact that they aren't on top but have a concept they feel they can rapidly develop.

The real issue isn't with the chassis, imo, it's the engine. Ferrari is clearly back as the best unit. But it looks like Renault may have jumped Mercedes as well.

Oh and Leclerc was faster than Max in Sector 2 which is the least power dependent. I think when these guys finally go all out in Q3 we're seeing a Ferrari 1-2.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Mercedes is fairly open about the fact that they aren't on top but have a concept they feel they can rapidly develop.

The real issue isn't with the chassis, imo, it's the engine. Ferrari is clearly back as the best unit. But it looks like Renault may have jumped Mercedes as well.

Oh and Leclerc was faster than Max in Sector 2 which is the least power dependent. I think when these guys finally go all out in Q3 we're seeing a Ferrari 1-2.
Problem with the engine theory is that porpoising occurs with higher down force load, which is why DRS was alleviating the problem during testing. The car starts bouncing like halfway down the main straight. If anything, they could be producing too much downforce for their setup. Seems to me like if porpoising is going to be an issue they can't get away from, it's something you'd want to try and adjust so that it's happening deep into the braking zone. But it's going to be compromise after compromise until they understand it.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
Problem with the engine theory is that porpoising occurs with higher down force load, which is why DRS was alleviating the problem during testing. The car starts bouncing like halfway down the main straight. If anything, they could be producing too much downforce for their setup. Seems to me like if porpoising is going to be an issue they can't get away from, it's something you'd want to try and adjust so that it's happening deep into the braking zone. But it's going to be compromise after compromise until they understand it.
It's not just Mercedes v Ferrari teams we're talking about in regards to the engines, it's their customer teams as well. Ferrari/Haas/Alfa all look to have more power than Mercedes/AMR/McLaren/Williams. It's the clearest indication that there's been a shakeup in power-unit hierarchy.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It's not just Mercedes v Ferrari teams we're talking about in regards to the engines, it's their customer teams as well. Ferrari/Haas/Alfa all look to have more power than Mercedes/AMR/McLaren/Williams. It's the clearest indication that there's been a shakeup in power-unit hierarchy.
I think Ferrari probably does have the strongest PU as Toto mentioned a few weeks ago. I've been high on them since the beginning of last year to come back with a vengeance.

That being said, I find it hard to believe Mercedes HPP missed the mark that much. The Mercedes powered cars weren't even in the same class in Sector 1. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning when everyone is running 100%.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
I think Ferrari probably does have the strongest PU as Toto mentioned a few weeks ago. I've been high on them since the beginning of last year to come back with a vengeance.

That being said, I find it hard to believe Mercedes HPP missed the mark that much. The Mercedes powered cars weren't even in the same class in Sector 1. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning when everyone is running 100%.
Can't underestimate how much Ferrari and Renault could have gained as they basically gave up on development of their old units in 2020.

Doesn't necessarily mean Mercedes dropped the ball. Just other factory efforts got a head start.

The silver lining here is Mercedes is easily the best at developing their car throughout the season. For entertainment sake, whoever is at the front to kick the season off, Mercedes will be right there with them probably by the European stint.

If Mercedes showed up here a second ahead it woulda been curtains for the next few years.

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
That Mazepin ep on the netflix show is hilarious.

His dad threatened to stop financing the team because he was so shyt :mjlol:.

Then tried blame it on the team giving young Schumacher a better car :mjlol:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Can't underestimate how much Ferrari and Renault could have gained as they basically gave up on development of their old units in 2020.

Doesn't necessarily mean Mercedes dropped the ball. Just other factory efforts got a head start.

The silver lining here is Mercedes is easily the best at developing their car throughout the season. For entertainment sake, whoever is at the front to kick the season off, Mercedes will be right there with them probably by the European stint.

If Mercedes showed up here a second ahead it woulda been curtains for the next few years.
Yeah, I don't doubt Mercedes will find the optimum setup eventually. However, that cost cap will limit the type of extensive upgrades throughout the season they used to do.

This is what the new regs were supposed to do though. The field looks like its closed up although Verstappen's long runs looked stupidly quick.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, I don't doubt Mercedes will find the optimum setup eventually. However, that cost cap will limit the type of extensive upgrades throughout the season they used to do.

This is what the new regs were supposed to do though. The field looks like its closed up although Verstappen's long runs looked stupidly quick.
If there's any justice in the world, Ferrari will shyt all over Red Bull until Merc is out of this situation :to:. They don't even gotta beat them that bad, just let Leclerc crash into Verstappen.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If there's any justice in the world, Ferrari will shyt all over Red Bull until Merc is out of this situation :to:. They don't even gotta beat them that bad, just let Leclerc crash into Verstappen.
Lewis said right now Red Bull is out front by a second with Ferrari about a half second behind them. I know yall don't like Max but he's gonna be out there near the front for the forseeable future. It might be a long season breh. :francis:

But...anything can happen in F1.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Lewis said right now Red Bull is out front by a second with Ferrari about a half second behind them. I know yall don't like Max but he's gonna be out there near the front for the forseeable future. It might be a long season breh. :francis:

But...anything can happen in F1.
Yeah I read that. Don't need too much time in hand for an ill advised turn 1 dive though :hubie:. Charles is up for the task.

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Yeah I read that. Don't need too much time in hand for an ill advised turn 1 dive though :hubie:. Charles is up for the task.

:russ: thats Sharle's shyt

I'm actually fukking with the yellow helmet this year.

I hope Merc gets the car sorted. I'm watching FP2 right now, not feeling so great.

I haven't watched DTS, after what happened at the end of last season, I'm not in any rush to watch that shyt.

Anybody see how the right side pod of the Alpine car just shredded itself on the straight in FP1? shyt was very weird