The Official Formula 1 Thread 🏁

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Fill me in on the ICE swaps, please. Not just the rules, but the situation at hand, and how Merc can take advantage of it. Thank you in adavnce!
Merc have gone for broke and are running their engines at full power, it doesn't seem to be affecting the other components of the engine, but the ICE is degrading in horsepower after 3-4 races.

In aero dependent circuits they have been blown out of the water by Red Bull, but on power dependant circuits this gives Mercedes a distinct advantage.

If the remaining circuits are power dependant, Merc could ostensibly take a new ICE each race and still come back from the 5 place grid penalty to win.

Personally I think the ICE is important but the changes Merc made to their rear suspension has also paid dividends. They were running a high downforce wing and still had amazing top speed.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Fill me in on the ICE swaps, please. Not just the rules, but the situation at hand, and how Merc can take advantage of it. Thank you in adavnce!
As a supposed cost cutting measure , teams are limited to being able to use a certain number rof components per season:
  • 3 ICE (Just the engine)
  • 3 MGU-H (regenerative system that harvests heat energy)
  • 3 MGU-K (regenerative system that harvests kinetic energy [under braking])
  • 3 Turbochargers
  • 3 control electronics
  • 5 exhaust systems
  • Each gearbox has to last 7 or 10 races
My numbers might be off for a couple. I think it's when you take the first component beyond the allocation, it's a 10 place grid penalty; each subsequent unit is only 5. You can't take a new one each session and stockpile over a weekend - Honda did that and they closed the loophole to where I think the component needs to be run in the race. Lewis is beyond taking that first extra ICE, so now it's only 5 place penalties from here on out.

It looks like the benefit of a new engine is a few tenths worth in pace, and then a significant drop off in that benefit after a couple of weekends at the level they've been running the engine. From then on it's like @jj23 said, they can literally power back from the 5 places they lose from the penalty.

Audibly, in qualifying that engine sounded to me like they used to sound when engine modes weren't locked down by parc ferme. I think they're playing with some other settings with the energy deployment to reel that power in during the race.

Taco

All Star
Daps
Merc have gone for broke and are running their engines at full power, it doesn't seem to be affecting the other components of the engine, but the ICE is degrading in horsepower after 3-4 races.

In aero dependent circuits they have been blown out of the water by Red Bull, but on power dependant circuits this gives Mercedes a distinct advantage.

If the remaining circuits are power dependant, Merc could ostensibly take a new ICE each race and still come back from the 5 place grid penalty to win.

Personally I think the ICE is important but the changes Merc made to their rear suspension has also paid dividends. They were running a high downforce wing and still had amazing top speed.
As a supposed cost cutting measure , teams are limited to being able to use a certain number rof components per season:
  • 3 ICE (Just the engine)
  • 3 MGU-H (regenerative system that harvests heat energy)
  • 3 MGU-K (regenerative system that harvests kinetic energy [under braking])
  • 3 Turbochargers
  • 3 control electronics
  • 5 exhaust systems
  • Each gearbox has to last 7 or 10 races
My numbers might be off for a couple. I think it's when you take the first component beyond the allocation, it's a 10 place grid penalty; each subsequent unit is only 5. You can't take a new one each session and stockpile over a weekend - Honda did that and they closed the loophole to where I think the component needs to be run in the race. Lewis is beyond taking that first extra ICE, so now it's only 5 place penalties from here on out.

It looks like the benefit of a new engine is a few tenths worth in pace, and then a significant drop off in that benefit after a couple of weekends at the level they've been running the engine. From then on it's like @jj23 said, they can literally power back from the 5 places they lose from the penalty.

Audibly, in qualifying that engine sounded to me like they used to sound when engine modes weren't locked down by parc ferme. I think they're playing with some other settings with the energy deployment to reel that power in during the race.
Thank you brehs for the knowledge! Now with all that being said is it feasible for Merc to do it? It seems a bit far fetched, but it seems like Merc needs to pull all the tricks out the bag so it's not completely unlikely.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thank you brehs for the knowledge! Now with all that being said is it feasible for Merc to do it? It seems a bit far fetched, but it seems like Merc needs to pull all the tricks out the bag so it's not completely unlikely.
There isn't a cost cap until next year, so yes. Really depends on if they see any degradation.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Functionally I think they can. It requires strategy and car setup to be correct, and it's more of a burden on Lewis to maintain his relentless pace, but it can be done. I don't know if it makes sense financially because of the budget cap and taking away money for next year. Also logistically, I don't know if they're able to. I'm not sure how many spare engines they keep on hand and if they would need to get replacements shipped from the factory.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
There isn't a cost cap until next year, so yes. Really depends on if they see any degradation.
The cost cap is this year as well. But as an engine manufacturer the cost cap doesn't extend to engines. That why people are saying RB is sacrificing next years performance for a shot at the title this year.

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
They should and they can afford to.

There is no guaranttee that success ever comes like this again and a chance at a wcc and wdc.

There is only a small chance Russell could be as consistent as Lewis over a decade.

Get it now
They definitely should at least take one more. Especially since the remaining tracks look like they will be Merc friendly.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Even some of Verstappens fanboys in the comments are saying Masi is full of shyt. FIAs behavior is just condescending to any rational individual. Shameful.
So here's my question.

Max got a black and white flag for weaving.

Masi said the push off of Hamilton was close to a black and white flag, even though it wasn't investigated (madness in itself)

So if the camera shows Max was deliberate with his steering, does that become a second black and white flag and subsequent disqualification? :jbhmm:

Remember a while back the stewards gave Lewis a break then red bull provided footage that caused them to change their mind and penalise him?

Of course we know that won't happen in the case, but I just need everyone on this board to appreciate the utter fukkery that's happening to Lewis right now.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Some people are also arguing Max understeered into the corner.

Someone made an image on Autosport.

Understeered by 4 car lengths! That's GOAT understeer.

many-max.png