The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I'm not talking about car setup, I'm talking about the entire philosophy of the car. It's almost certainly been designed around Verstappen's driving style. Gasly and now Albon are forced to adapt to that, a new team, a new way of doing things. I want Albon to outperform, but he's got an uphill battle. Red Bull expects instant results. Given their track record now, Albon may not get any longer than the end of this season.
Lol the philosophy? Itā€™s a high downforce car. Not much more to it than that. And theyā€™re not looking for Albon to be a star. They want him to be Verstappens Bottas.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lol the philosophy? Itā€™s a high downforce car. Not much more to it than that. And theyā€™re not looking for Albon to be a star. They want him to be Verstappens Bottas.

@Obreh Winfrey has a point. Most drivers like their cars to handle in a certain manner. When the car is being designed, they will usually try to lean it in a direction that allows the number one driver to get the most out of it.

The exception to this always seems to be Mercedes, who make the car as fast as possible and trust their drivers to extract the best from it. From there they dial in the oversteer or understeer to suit.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
@Obreh Winfrey has a point. Most drivers like their cars to handle in a certain manner. When the car is being designed, they will usually try to lean it in a direction that allows the number one driver to get the most out of it.

The exception to this always seems to be Mercedes, who make the car as fast as possible and trust their drivers to extract the best from it. From there they dial in the oversteer or understeer to suit.
Not to be a dikk, but what youā€™re saying is nonsense. None of us are in those garages to know the particulars of these cars. Itā€™s literally a secret. The only verifiable information we have is that itā€™s a design that emphasizes aero with high downforce. The RB is a capable race winning car. Daniel was able to compete in it and obviously Max has done well. Gastly is just trash. Thereā€™s no point trying to pretend we know the intricacies of the most advanced cars in Motorsport. It doesnā€™t even matter if the car truly isnā€™t ideal for him. All he needs to do is be a factor and play defense so Max can have a better chance of winning races through strategy when the RB is lacking in pace against Merc and Ferrari.

And everything you just said about how Merc designs their cars is objectively incorrect. There are in depth articles where the drivers, engineers, and Toto talk about the process.

Last edited:

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not to be a dikk, but what youā€™re saying is nonsense. None of us are in those garages to know the particulars of these cars. Itā€™s literally a secret. The only verifiable information we have is that itā€™s a design that emphasizes aero with high downforce. The RB is a capable race winning car. Daniel was able to compete in it and obviously Max has done well. Gastly is just trash. Thereā€™s no point trying to pretend we know the intricacies of the most advanced cars in Motorsport. It doesnā€™t even matter if the car truly isnā€™t ideal for him. All he needs to do is be a factor and play defense so Max can have a better chance of winning races through strategy when the RB is lacking in pace against Merc and Ferrari.

And everything you just said about how Merc designs their cars is objectively incorrect. There are in depth articles where the drivers, engineers, and Toto talk about the process.

This year mercedes came with a spec A car that wasnt fast enough but was handling quite well. The spec B car was a clear improvement but was fidgety and jittery on the road driving, compared to the red bull and the ferrari, but it has proven to be faster.

The on board clearly show how much more on edge the car was compared to other teams, but it was lightning fast. Listening to Mercedes, unless they were lying, the on edge nature of the car was a sacrifice made to get the most out of the car and the drivers needed to tame it.

Out of the box Bottas seemed to like this year's car and tyre combination a lot more and Lewis constantly spoke about getting comfortable with it. What is objectively incorrect about what I said?

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
This year mercedes came with a spec A car that wasnt fast enough but was handling quite well. The spec B car was a clear improvement but was fidgety and jittery on the road driving, compared to the red bull and the ferrari, but it has proven to be faster.

The on board clearly show how much more on edge the car was compared to other teams, but it was lightning fast. Listening to Mercedes, unless they were lying, the on edge nature of the car was a sacrifice made to get the most out of the car and the drivers needed to tame it.

Out of the box Bottas seemed to like this year's car and tyre combination a lot more and Lewis constantly spoke about getting comfortable with it. What is objectively incorrect about what I said?
Stuff like that. In Hungary they DID show the on-board; and they were raving about how planted the car was, so I'm not sure why you're saying the car is "jittery". This new chassis will serve as the foundation for Merc through the end of the 2020 season and in Germany Lewis was demolishing the field by a huge margin before poor strategy ruined his race. How does a "jittery" car do that in the wet?

And to expound further on what I meant about you not understanding how the cars are set up-- I don't think you understand what happens during a race weekend. You were saying things about Merc building the car to go "as fast as possible" and then the driver's "dial in" oversteer or understeer after the fact. But that's not how that works. The TIRES determine how much down-force the car can generate without prematurely degrading; and the FIA pre-selects the allowed compounds for each track. The whole point of FP1-3 on Fridays is to determine the best aero setup to match with the tires for that particular race weekend. That ultimately determines how much oversteer or understeer a car has-- but only for that weekend. This is why you'll see cars with the green flow-vis paint during the practice sessions-- and it's also the reason why it was such a big deal that almost none of the teams were able to to get practice runs in on all of the compounds due to the weather last race. They didn't have the data to know how to mesh the aero with certain tire compounds for a strong race pace.

And to close, ALL F1 cars are always on the edge. That's literally the point. This is a sport where hundredths of a second can be the difference between victory and second place.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Stuff like that. In Hungary they DID show the on-board; and they were raving about how planted the car was, so I'm not sure why you're saying the car is "jittery". This new chassis will serve as the foundation for Merc through the end of the 2020 season and in Germany Lewis was demolishing the field by a huge margin before poor strategy ruined his race. How does a "jittery" car do that in the wet?

And to expound further on what I meant about you not understanding how the cars are set up-- I don't think you understand what happens during a race weekend. You were saying things about Merc building the car to go "as fast as possible" and then the driver's "dial in" oversteer or understeer after the fact. But that's not how that works. The TIRES determine how much down-force the car can generate without prematurely degrading; and the FIA pre-selects the allowed compounds for each track. The whole point of FP1-3 on Fridays is to determine the best aero setup to match with the tires for that particular race weekend. That ultimately determines how much oversteer or understeer a car has-- but only for that weekend. This is why you'll see cars with the green flow-vis paint during the practice sessions-- and it's also the reason why it was such a big deal that almost none of the teams were able to to get practice runs in on all of the compounds due to the weather last race. They didn't have the data to know how to mesh the aero with certain tire compounds for a strong race pace.

And to close, ALL F1 cars are always on the edge. That's literally the point. This is a sport where hundredths of a second can be the difference between victory and second place.

Ok sir. You didn't understand the point ai am making and we will leave it at that. I spoke of the car in the early stages of development from the beginning of the season to now.

Check the pole laps in Oz, the driving in Bahrain and China, the same commentators spoke of how much difficult the Mercedes was to handle than the Ferrari and the Red Bull, but the car was still faster. So if you are pretending to speak to objectivity, which I am not , (I speak with my knowledge from watching and reading) commentary varies to suit the situation so don't pretend the commentary made in Hungary trumps what was said in Oz and Bahrain. I clearly said the bottas seem suited to the tire and car combination moreso than Lewis, which he has alluded to. So why the long diatribe about tyres? The general principle of how they work is understood, whether you think I do or not. I also understand what they do at free practice, so your condescension isn't required.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
Ok sir. You didn't understand the point ai am making and we will leave it at that. I spoke of the car in the early stages of development from the beginning of the season to now.

Check the pole laps in Oz, the driving in Bahrain and China, the same commentators spoke of how much difficult the Mercedes was to handle than the Ferrari and the Red Bull, but the car was still faster. So if you are pretending to speak to objectivity, which I am not , (I speak with my knowledge from watching and reading) commentary varies to suit the situation so don't pretend the commentary made in Hungary trumps what was said in Oz and Bahrain. I clearly said the bottas seem suited to the tire and car combination moreso than Lewis, which he has alluded to. So why the long diatribe about tyres? The general principle of how they work is understood, whether you think I do or not. I also understand what they do at free practice, so your condescension isn't required.
My guy. You said Merc builds the fastest car possible and then they dial in oversteer and understeer to suit the driver. I simply highlighted that was incorrect and that the cars are adjusted as the teams collect on track data during the race weekend. Tires are everything in F1, hence my "diatribe" about the tires. You can't make adjustments to the car without knowing which tires are going to be used on which track and you've actually run the car THAT weekend in conditions hopefully similar to what they'll see that Sunday. The car was stable before they switched to this new chassis in Germany. They simply didn't have enough data to understand how to bring it all together the first couple races. A lower tier driver like Bottas will hop in a fast car and turn in good numbers. Someone like Lewis will get in the same car and notice things Valtteri wouldn't.

The original comment I responded to was you alluding to the notion that these manufacturers design the car to the preferences of the #1 driver. My argument was that this is no longer true like it was in past eras. Both drivers get the same car. The differences in setup only happen during qualifying and race day based on the data collected during the practice sessions. And those adjustments are based on whatever the data (and driver feedback) suggests are the best performing.

If Albon has the necessary speed and race craft he theoretically can challenge Max. See LeClerc and Vettel as an example. Ferrari have made strategy calls that benefit Seb even when Charles has at times had better race pace; and that in my opinion is the real uncertainty with the addition of Albon. If he's competitive-- will he be allowed to truly race? Or is he simply here to run interference for Max?

No condescension intended.

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
9875231075_30ac80fea6_b.jpg