The Official Formula 1 Thread šŸ

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Hulkenberg dominated the juniors too. Now heā€™s a reserve. Look. Iā€™m not suggesting GR is outright some mid. Iā€™m just not big on declaring every driver as the next big thing. When he delivers on a consistent basis and wins, then Iā€™ll sing his praises. Iā€™m the same with Max. Heā€™s eliteā€” but all the fanfare around him reminds me ALOT of when Kimi came onto the scene. Similar circumstances and everything. Iā€™m a results guy is all.
That's fine. But the fanfare is there for a reason. No one is suggesting he's Lewis's equal or something.

It's all marketing.
:comeon:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
That's fine. But the fanfare is there for a reason. No one is suggesting he's Lewis's equal or something.

:comeon:
I mean.. the fanfare is there because the ingredients were there for the sport and other involved entities to create that fanfare. We do the same thing in the NBA. Ben Simmons, Luka, and Zion were all somehow the next LeBron and Devin Booker the next Kobe. Sure, these youngsters have done some impressive things-- but they know what they're doing when they make those comparisons. It still amazes me how people assume Max is going to go on some crazy run and win a bunch of titles-- like it's some sort of common thing when it really isn't.

ApolloStark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Him getting that P2 was VERY setup dependent. Iā€™ll never knock a guy for not making mistakes, but that lap is being overrated. Look at him today, behind Latino. Plenty of guys can be quick over a lap. I genuinely think heā€™ll be another Bottas/Rosberg. Quick over a lap, but second tier in race craft.

That's a fair point but race craft is something you develop once you're in a car that can win grand prixs. Lewis' race craft these days is second to none but it wasn't always that way at the start of his career

If it had been he'd probably have at least one more championship

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
C'mon guys. Russel is fast over one lap. Blistering. The question becomes about race pace, especially with someone constantly putting him under pressure. Let's not question his talent though. Norris, Leclerc, Russell and Verstappen are special.

We will find out next year how he fares next to Lewis, but I don't see why we need to compare him to Lewis. Frankly I think Covid has done a number on Lewis and he's just not telling anyone. That he can still maintain his form is astounding to me, but I am also seeing lapses that wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago.

Compare Russell to Lewis when he has won 100 races and gotten 100 poles, along with several world championships.

Last edited:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
That's a fair point but race craft is something you develop once you're in a car that can win grand prixs. Lewis' race craft these days is second to none but it wasn't always that way at the start of his career

If it had been he'd probably have at least one more championship
:gucci: Bruh. I hate coming off like an irrational stan. But what are you talking about? Did you actually watch Lewis' rookie season? The opening lap of Malaysia alone is more impressive than what we've seen from any of the upcoming rookies.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:martin: Another FP being cut short. Qualifying is going to be about making your first lap your best lap. You don't want to get caught out by a red flag in Quali
Feels like the race is going to be messy as hell too. Especially the first lap. After that I expect overtakes to be limited and a boring race.

Pole will be critical.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
:gucci: Bruh. I hate coming off like an irrational stan. But what are you talking about? Did you actually watch Lewis' rookie season? The opening lap of Malaysia alone is more impressive than what we've seen from any of the upcoming rookies.
Couldnt agree with you more. All of the superlatives they keep throwing around for these new guys is so over the top. Lewisā€™s rookie year was unlike anything witnessed before in the sport.