Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
Literally the one thing that European football should take from American sports is better profit-sharing. Spread the profits around = better competition within your domestic league = better preparation for European football because you haven't taken the last two months off after securing your league title in mid-March.

As the EPL's performance in Europe this year shows.

JDH

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Literally the one thing that European football should take from American sports is better profit-sharing. Spread the profits around = better competition within your domestic league = better preparation for European football because you haven't taken the last two months off after securing your league title in mid-March.

9b5.jpg

Hagendas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If the players and manager can't get excited, mentally prepared for a European Final it is not the fault of the competitiveness of their leagues

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
you stannies do know that it's the foreign players that's advanced your top 6 right :mjpls:

has nada to do with England football :wow:

same can be said, for barca, madrid, juve, to a lesser extent bayern, (since bayern is the backbone of the NT) but pretty much every big team is full of foreigners, u remember when Inter won there was like one italian in the starting line up:mjlol::yeshrug:

When we praise the epl is, we are praising the style of play, drama and how small teams can shock bigger teams more times than not. not the british players most of them are overrated bums:lolbron:

Daps
If the players and manager can't get excited, mentally prepared for a European Final it is not the fault of the competitiveness of their leagues

I think that even if you are excited and you badly want to win, it's got to be hard to kick yourself, your play, and your mindset into overdrive after months of getting fat off of victories over, say, Guingamp and Stade Rennes. I think that players are only human and it's hard to ramp up from that to playing Liverpool, Man City, and Tottenham, especially when the latter have been in dogfights for CL spots and the title all season and are better tested by both one another and even their mid-table opponents than you've been all season.

But that's just my opinion. :hubie:

Hagendas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think that even if you are excited and you badly want to win, it's got to be hard to kick yourself, your play, and your mindset into overdrive after months of getting fat off of victories over, say, Guingamp and Stade Rennes. I think that players are only human and it's hard to ramp up from that to playing Liverpool, Man City, and Tottenham, especially when the latter have been in dogfights for CL spots and the title all season and are better tested by both one another and even their mid-table opponents than you've been all season.

But that's just my opinion. :hubie:

Lol Ajax and barca lost because they were soft, arrogant and couldn't defend for sh!t it had nothing to do with thier league

Daps
Lol Ajax and barca lost because they were soft, arrogant and couldn't defend for sh!t it had nothing to do with thier league

I wouldn't characterize Ajax as soft or arrogant at all. Your best argument would have been that having to battle PSV all season for the Eredivisie didn't help them beat Tottenham, but I would definitely say that it helped them surprise everyone by getting this far as they beat a soft Real Madrid and a soft Juventus that barely had any meaningful games left to play by the time they played Ajax, they won their league by so much.

You can call out their defending, sure, and they play in the Eredivisie, where defense is optional, but they had played well defensively all the way up to that second half against Spurs in the CL. I think they're just young and they choked it away at the end because that's what young squads do sometimes.

Barca is soft, definitely, because they really weren't challenged in the league this year and outside of Copa del Rey, they also haven't really been playing meaningful games since a couple of months ago. Meanwhile, Liverpool has had to win every week in the league just to keep up with Man City.

Ay, you don't have to agree with me, but I definitely think it matters. That's all.

ShenJingPoQi

All Star
Daps

La Liga and Bundesliga bosses are nervous. The real reason Barcelona, Madrid and Bayern dominated European football for the past decade or so; is because simply they’ve monopolized all the world class talent whilst just buying the best players from their local rivals. Sure they have obtained European success when you have all the best players in the world but EPL and its model has stolen the limelight. The EPL model and its distribution model has created a league of drama, big matches weekly and endless source of debate and talking points. EPL is now a social event, where people worldwide watch it over the weekend and base their weekend around it. EPL is also just starting to tap into India and Chinese market.

United vs Wolves is more popular worldwide than the Madrid derby. Ponder that,

EPL is an economic juggernaut