Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Even with Real having Kroos, Modric & Isco in midfield, the team at its core is still a counter attack first team.

But that's the problem...you saw a multitude of goals from Barca the last couple weeks. Set pieces, counter-attack, possession, etc. Inesta musta drank some virgins blood or something. Messi put the team on his back. Paulinho is looking worth every cent of his fee. Deolufeu has become a much more mature player and is making better decisions with the ball.

It looks like a "sum is greater than the value of its parts" type of side. Which is Barca's MO outside of Messi's brilliance. Madrid looks lost without Ronaldo and now without Marcelo the transition game is severely hampered.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
But that's the problem...you saw a multitude of goals from Barca the last couple weeks. Set pieces, counter-attack, possession, etc. Inesta musta drank some virgins blood or something. Messi put the team on his back. Paulinho is looking worth every cent of his fee. Deolufeu has become a much more mature player and is making better decisions with the ball.

It looks like a "sum is greater than the value of its parts" type of side. Which is Barca's MO outside of Messi's brilliance. Madrid looks lost without Ronaldo and now without Marcelo the transition game is severely hampered.

I wouldn't start crowning Paulinho as a good buy just yet, they goals vs Getafe & Eibar. Deulofeu is probably being ordered to release the ball earlier, also he is the only attacking player they have available who can stretch the play. He still goes down blind alleys and inconsistent and I don't think his end product has improved that quickly from the player who I saw at Milan for the 2nd half of last season, lets see how both do when they play against proper teams.

Marcelo will be a loss, but as long they have him back for the CL last 16, they will be ok. They bought Theo Hernandez for a reason, so its time for him to show the Alaves form of last season.

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Madrid won 8 games in the last 5 minutes last season. You can contribute some of that to luck and another part to strategy. They used to drain teams of energy and then rush them with the quality bench players they had. Selling Morata Danilio James etc was a crucial mistake as their bench is literally what set them apart from other top teams.

Nothing can be as treacherous as football. Preseason all odds were against Barca and Paulinho was a laughing stock to barca fans and outsiders. But we forget how special Messi is until times like this and Paulinho is becoming more of a hero with each game.
Lets not forget about Semedo tho. The guy is a beast in attack and defence.

Ces1ne?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Maradona took 2 average Argentinian teams to back 2 back world cup finals, the 2nd time was even better considering his ankle was the size of a tennis ball for the whole tournament. He took a non successful Southern Italian team, with only 2 major trophies before his arrival and left them with their 1st ever league title (won 2, while he was there) and 1st ever european title (Uefa Cup / europa league). He basically doubled Napoli's honours in 7 seasons at the club (he won 4 major honours). All the while going up against giants such as Juve & Sacchi's Milan.

The best 2 players Maradona played with when he was Napoli were Alemao & Careca and he won a titles, before they even came to the club.

Maradona played in an era of shyt pitches and where tackling resembled playing American football and you actually had to do something nasty to get a booking.

One of the main reasons why Messi struggles internationally, he doesnt have Iniesta and Xavi controlling the tempo of the game and he has to do everything himself. Argentina blessed with attacking players but midfield is :hhh: the best midfielder of Messi's Argentina generation is Banega and his career has been up and down can, (had spark when he started, got his leg run over by his own doing, became a drunk, was injury prone, then managed to have a good 2 seasons, moved to Inter and went back to type).

:cheers::cheers:

Dapped/repped & deserves 2 or 3 more for that summary of THE GOAT (:stop:there is no discussion, “el pibe de oro”......the undisputed GOAT).
:whoa: This isn’t a slight on Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Messi, CR7, etc......:yeshrug:but they just can’t hang with Diego and WHAT HE DID (plus the glorious style/way he did it:banderas:)

MoroccanBoy

Madness
Daps
I used to play football at a decent level. I was in an academy for a league 1 side in the uk. Obviously not premier league level but we played plenty of premier league academies and held our own. I actually scored against Tottenham and west ham. I played cm but more defensively like a makalele reading the game I front the back 4. I quit playing all together at 16 when I went rogue and became a degenerate dikkhead :scust:

nahnah

Superstar
Daps
I have a sneaky feeling Mr Kane is going to break the PL scoring record for goals per season this season. Would it be worth a bet :patrice: