Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Better manager???? What has he ever won?? Let's see how successful he is at guiding the club into the new stadium where funds may be more limited at the offset.

Wenger successfully maintained top 4 with no funds and having to sell the clubs top players for over a decade. He doesn't get enough credit for that at all. Let's not even mention The Invincibles... better manager lol

This was Spurs best season in decades... and they won nothing.

If this trend of spuds finishing above Arsenal continues for the next few years (and they actually win some silverware), then maybe you have an argument.

Invincibles was over a decade ago. The game has long passed Wenger by. Why do you think the rest of the league cheers for Arsenal to retain him every week?

They paid big money for guys like Alexis, Mustafi, Xhaka, and Ozil. They don't have Manchester money but don't pretend they moved into the Emirates and all of a sudden became misers.

Conjiggle

Pro
Daps
Invincibles was over a decade ago. The game has long passed Wenger by. Why do you think the rest of the league cheers for Arsenal to retain him every week?

They paid big money for guys like Alexis, Mustafi, Xhaka, and Ozil. They don't have Manchester money but don't pretend they moved into the Emirates and all of a sudden became misers.

I respect your views, but I can't agree with you at all.

You do realize all of the players you just mentioned joined the club within the last 4 years right? With two of them joining at the start of this season.

It is a known fact that Arsenal lacked the funds to be competitive from a financial standpoint after moving to the Emirates. We can sit here and run down the list of players that the club sold just to balance the books (RVP aka Judas, Nasri, etc).

The Invincibles could have been 100 years ago. No other manager has accomplished that since (unless we are going to credit Rodgers doing it with Celtic in the Scottish league :mjlol:).

The narrative that the game has passed Wenger by is also stale. He just became the winningest manager in the FA Cup and up until this year always qualified for Champions League. The state of Arsenal has more to do with the board and joke of an owner.

The fans chanting for Wenger to stay was just a classic case of trolling. Let's not act like the fans of teams like Sunderland wouldn't kill to have a manager that has had the success Wenger has had.

Again, Spurs played excellent this season. I won't deny that (as much as it pains me to say). But let us not get ahead of ourselves comparing them to Arsenal. Spurs have a very long way to go before they are recognized as a big club.

dappadonna

'OOOOOHHHH DOOOONNNAA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North London
This is just as fraudulent as Arsenal finishing ahead of Tottenham last season. Point is, Spurs are trending upwards with a better manager and better players and Arsenal are running in place with Wenger. And there's a good shot they're gonna lose their best player this summer.

Fam, as a Tottenham fan, I don't give a fddduck about coming 2nd place in a close league title race... U win a cup and your name is written in the history books forever.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Can't believe Totti has finally called it a career. One of my favorite Totti goals was against Sampdoria, this was after Italy had won the World Cup in 2006.

At first glance it doesn't look like much, but watch it a few times over. On the volley aiming at the far post with his 'weaker' foot side netting. I remember the Sampdoria fans stood up and applauded.
:whoo:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Whole stadium was bawling :mjcry:

What a great moment in the sport.

"We're here, the moment has arrived. Unfortunately, the moment has arrived that I hoped would never come," Totti told the crowd in his postmatch speech.

"Over the last few days, so much has been said about me, such wonderful things. You were behind me, pushing me on during difficult moments, and that's why I want to say thank you to everyone.

"I cried on my own, like crazy! You can't just forget 25 years like this. I thank everyone, even if this is not easy for me. I spoke to my wife about what these years have been like.

"I thank my mother and father, my brother, family and friends. Thank you to my wife and three children. I wanted to start from this, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get to the end of it."

Totti, who joined the club academy as a boy, recounted the past 28 years as a member of Roma. But admitted it was now time to "grow up."

"It is impossible to explain 28 years in a few phrases. I'd love to do it with a song or a poem, but I'm no good at those. I tried to express myself through my feet, because everything seems easier that way.

"Speaking of which, do you know my favourite toy when I was young? The football! And it still is. But at a certain point, you have to grow up. That's what they told me, that time had made its decision.

"Damn you, time! The same that on that June 17, 2001 we wanted to go so fast. I couldn't wait to hear the referee blow his whistle three times and it still gives me goosebumps now.

Ad (0:27)

int_170526_INET_FC_Totti_Future_Discussion_0526_1.jpg

Luciano Spalletti explains just how important AS Roma's Francesco Totti is to Roma and football in general.
"Now time has come and tapped me on the shoulder, telling me I have to grow up. He said, from tomorrow, you will be an adult. Take off your shorts and boots, from now you are a man and can no longer smell the grass, feel the sun in your face, the adrenaline that consumes you and the satisfaction of celebrating.

"I asked myself over these months why I am waking up from this dream. You know when you're a child, and you're dreaming something wonderful until your mother wakes you up to go to school? You try to get back to sleep, but will never be back in that same dream. The spell is broken.

"This time it wasn't a dream, it was reality. I want to dedicate this letter to all the children who cheered me on, to those who perhaps grew up with me and became fathers.

"I like to think of my career as a fairy-tale to tell ... and this is the worst part. Now it really is over. I take off my shirt for the last time. I will fold it nicely, even if I have to admit I'm not ready to say it's over and maybe I never will be.

"Sorry if during this period I didn't give interviews or clarified my thoughts, but it's not easy to switch that light off. Now I am afraid. It's not the same fear you have in front of the goal when you need to score a penalty. This time I cannot see through the holes in the net what lies beyond.

"So allow me to be a little afraid. This time I am the one who needs you and your warmth. What you've always shown me. With your affection, I will certainly be able to turn the page and throw myself into a new adventure.

i

Totti was honoured by fans before Sunday's match.
"Now is the moment to thank my teammates, Coaches, directors, Presidents, all those who worked alongside me over the years. The fans, the Curva Sud, a reference point for us Romans and Romanisti.

"Being born Roman and Romanisti is a privilege. Being captain of this team was an honour. You are and always will be in my life. I might not be able to have fun with my feet any more, but my heart will always be with you.

"Now I walk down those stairs, enter the locker room that welcomed me when I was a child and I leave now that I am a man.

"I am happy and proud to have given 28 years of my love to Roma. I love you!"

Goals from Edin Dzeko, Daniele De Rossi and Diego Perotti confirmed Roma's direct qualification to the Champions League group stage after lowly Genoa threatened to hold them to a draw with efforts from 16-year-old Pietro Pellegri and Darko Lazovic.

Had the northerners managed to divide the points in Rome, Napoli would have snatched second place courtesy of their 4-2 victory at Sampdoria.

Midfielder De Rossi, who has 226 more appearances to make for Roma before he beats Totti's record, paid tribute to his teammate while also lending support to under-fire head coach Luciano Spalletti.

He told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "There are some people who are not normal, they do not have normal life stories, and in this case we're talking about a football player. I read a banner that said 'In football the real battle is to wear the same shirt for 25 years' and it's true.

"I know what it's like to remain with a team for many years while not always getting exactly what you want.

"He won in another way, he won a trophy by uniting a city.''

On Spalletti, De Rossi added: "I've heard a lot of people say they would be happy for him to go, but I hope he doesn't because I'd like to get to the next May 28 in the same shape we're in now. I doubt many other coaches could do as well as him, winning 88 points and guiding us into this high finishing position.''

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
If City are willing to pay 45 million pounds for Ederson who won't be a top 3 EPL GK, then I'd expect United to ask for 80 when Madrid come calling for De Gea.