Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Never liked how Emery was mocked and derided at Arsenal. Wenger’s boots were always going to be impossible to fill but he never had a fair shake IMO. I always liked him.

When you see managers at other teams have more time with way more resources, only to do way less, it’s an injustice as to how he was treated.

The next manager after Wenger was gonna have issues. There was no football apparatus after he left really. Wenger WAS Arsenal. So while Emery didn't really get a fair shake he didn't do himself no favors. The epic collapse at the end of 2018 AND losing the Europa final didn't help not to mention his signings were either being shipped off (Saliba), being grossly overpaid (Pepe) or flat out terrible (David Luiz). Then the 7 game winless streak in 2019.

It was a comedy of mismanagement, which makes since considering the ownership was in flux. As much as they polarized the fanbase, the Kroenkes brought stability to the club through Edu/Arteta. But make no mistake, Emery was NOT doing a great job at the time.

He's a great manager for mid-table clubs with emerging talent and low expectations. Villa, Sevilla, Valencia and Villareal are perfect for him. PSG and Arsenal? Not so much. Also, the team clearly needs to have a "v" in its name as well :manny:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
If he was given more time, i think he (Emery) would have made a great job at Arsenal too. it took Arteta years to make Arsenal a competitive team again.
I forgot he was at Psg. Did he win the Ligue 1 there?
Never liked how Emery was mocked and derided at Arsenal. Wenger’s boots were always going to be impossible to fill but he never had a fair shake IMO. I always liked him.

When you see managers at other teams have more time with way more resources, only to do way less, it’s an injustice as to how he was treated.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
If he was given more time, i think he (Emery) would have made a great job at Arsenal too. it took Arteta years to make Arsenal a competitive team again.
I forgot he was at Psg. Did he win the Ligue 1 there?

Emery had 18 months to make Arsenal's defence less chaotic. That defence was broken and he didn't fix it at all. Arteta with those same players + Mari and Soares who aren't really upgrades on the players they had already. Made Arsenal's defence/defending more bend but not break and defend more as a unit in those months after he came in.

Yeah Emery is a very good coach but all these OMG if Emery stayed posts what would he of done. Are forgetting the stuff what was happening under his nose when he was there I.e the results vs the teams Arsenal should be beating and the helter-skelter nature of those matches. It was unsustainable and it was his undoing.

JDH

All Star
Supporter
Daps
what Arteta has done in his first gig as head manager is remarkable tbh. Yeah he did come up under pep and soaked up game from him for years but going from being the understudy to the main man is a huge step especially a big club like Arsenal and he shouldered the responsibility

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I hate the revisionist history with Emery’s tenure at Arsenal. He bottled top 4 by losing 3 of the last five matches, whilst having a bad record away from home and we were giving up 20+ shots to relegation teams. His hands were tied with the recruitment but the style of football was stale and pragmatic when we were under pressure in games.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
If Arsenal buys a striker this january and Arteta still doesnt win a big trophy :hubie:
Last season they had no cups no nothing. No reason to lose the league the way they did. I know they lost it to City but City was more focused on the Ucl
We didn’t ‘lose’ it to City, we shot ourselves in the foot. We didn’t need to beat City to win the league.

It would’ve been different if those two games were the deciding factors, but the fact we lost/drew those “winnable” games is unacceptable to me.

I’m always going to get behind the manager but Arteta can’t have any excuses this season.
I dunno if I agree with this, especially if the season after your back to challenging for the league
I’m not mad at finishing 2nd, it’s the manner in which we conceded the title. As I said, he can’t have any excuses this season.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We didn’t lose to City, we shot ourselves in the foot. We didn’t need to beat City to win the league.

It would’ve been different if those two games were the deciding factors, but the fact we lost/drew those “winnable” games is unacceptable to me.

I’m always going to get behind the manager but Arteta can’t have any excuses this season.

I’m not mad at finishing 2nd, it’s the manner in which we conceded the title. As I said, he can’t have any excuses this season.
That fukking Everton defeat. We choked man....we choked