Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
Ultimately, Money talks. Saudi investors have set aside 700Bn for their investment projects. $700bn. The european elites at some point will just want a piece of that pie.
You may be correct, but i think at a certain point these clubs will realise that once they're in the same competitions, what's to stop the Saudi teams completely overtaking them? I think that will be in the back of their mind.

There could be some sort of situation where the Saudis fund the league but there's also (albeit very high)regulations on spending on playing staff.

No way they let the Saudis in without some sort of safety net to keep them on top.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
It's still crazy, because you basically have to win one big group, they should have had done best 8 runner ups to the playoffs.

Look at how much more forgiving Asia's qualifying is for their 8 spots.

Too many rounds imo. AFC nations have better footballing infrastructure to warrant that many rounds. I think this one from CAF is fair. Ideally you want your strongest nations to go to WC. This gives them that route.

Last time you’d win your group then still have a final playoff round. This time win and you’re in.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You may be correct, but i think at a certain point these clubs will realise that once they're in the same competitions, what's to stop the Saudi teams completely overtaking them? I think that will be in the back of their mind.

There could be some sort of situation where the Saudis fund the league but there's also (albeit very high)regulations on spending on playing staff.

No way they let the Saudis in without some sort of safety net to keep them on top.

when that briefcase shows up with that cold hard cash

xrd-exrd.gif

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps

In this country, four of the biggest agencies — CAA Base, Wasserman, Stellar and ARETÉ — are challenging the new regulations and an arbitration tribunal is due to decide on the case before the new rules come into force on October 1.

The statement added: “Fifa particularly notes that the award confirms its regulatory authority to regulate the activity of football agents in the transfer system. Those provisions notably include the service fee cap, the prohibition of multiple representation and the principle that only licensed football agents may provide football agent services, all of which will enhance contractual stability.”

Agents first sat the new exam in April, with 48 per cent of the 3,800 who took the test failing to pass.

The rules will also cap agents’ payments at 6 per cent of a player’s contract. There are no such rules in force now and the most extreme example of a payment to an agent was when the late Mino Raiola earned a reported £41 million from the transfer of Paul Pogba in 2016, representing the player, the selling club (Juventus) and the buying club (Manchester United) in the deal.

The agents are challenging the FA over its National Football Agent Regulations (NFAR) which cover English domestic transfers. The action against Fifa covers its agent regulations which apply to international transfers.

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Must be nice being linked to a player of Mbappe's calibre.

We are closing in on a deal to sign someone called Hojlund.

• Haha
Reactions: JDH