Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
The best part of a billion in fee + wages for Mbappe to walk around the pitch for 85 minutes for a season is crazy. :dead:

These Saudi lads are clearly not stupid, I just can't see a situation in which they'll accept only having him for a year with that outlay.:patrice:

I can’t imagine the Saudis would care if he only stayed for a year. The ability to say one of the world’s best players came to the league in their prime would boost the league’s profile to the point that they could bargain for better broadcasting deals and attract better players.

The quality of the football is still gonna be shyt because these teams are still 80% part time Imams but the names get views.

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
AEfWaFE.jpg
giphy.gif
How is the monthly less than the weekly. They messed that up

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
I can’t imagine the Saudis would care if he only stayed for a year. The ability to say one of the world’s best players came to the league in their prime would boost the league’s profile to the point that they could bargain for better broadcasting deals and attract better players.

The quality of the football is still gonna be shyt because these teams are still 80% part time Imams but the names get views.
I'm not sure bro, I don't think him going there for that money then popping off to Real as soon as he possibly can would have the sportswashing effect they're looking for.

Again, i get it, bottomless pit of money, but I don't think they're getting their moneys worth. :patrice:

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I'm not sure bro, I don't think him going there for that money then popping off to Real as soon as he possibly can would have the sportswashing effect they're looking for.

Again, i get it, bottomless pit of money, but I don't think they're getting their moneys worth. :patrice:

If it was any other team, I’d totally agree with you but Real is the prestige club in world football so I don’t think there’s much shame in losing a player to them. The way they’ve been spending money right now, I don’t see any actually footballing IQ behind it.

For the record, I think this Saudi situation is gonna be another Chinese Super League situation and players will stop going once they start missing out on awards and international appearances. Money can’t build football heritage overnight and Saudi would still need to improve their own homegrown players to have any lasting power.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
So does the Asian Concacaf/Uefa not of FFP?

I didn't realize PSG need to do this, though, because if they just lose Mbappe, they wouldn't be able to keep bringing in signings because of how much of a financial loss it would be. I wonder what MBappe does?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
The best part of a billion in fee + wages for Mbappe to walk around the pitch for 85 minutes for a season is crazy. :dead:

These Saudi lads are clearly not stupid, I just can't see a situation in which they'll accept only having him for a year with that outlay.:patrice:

Mbs will prob just kill a random Saudi billionaire and freeze his assets :troll:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
If it was any other team, I’d totally agree with you but Real is the prestige club in world football so I don’t think there’s much shame in losing a player to them. The way they’ve been spending money right now, I don’t see any actually footballing IQ behind it.

For the record, I think this Saudi situation is gonna be another Chinese Super League situation and players will stop going once they start missing out on awards and international appearances. Money can’t build football heritage overnight and Saudi would still need to improve their own homegrown players to have any lasting power.
I get the CSL comparisons but this Saudi pot of money won't ever run out like the Chinese one did.

Ultimately the aim is to either be invited to the Champions League(extremely unlikely), or be part of the breakaway Super League(more likely).

Both could be unlikely however once the European elites start feeling threatened. They'll move to block them out.