Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Our hands are tied financially because of the club being for sale(even then we need to sell to buy for FFP reasons.)

If you expected us to spend huge amounts you either don’t understand the situation or you’re just dumb. :why:

Given you take Goldbridge seriously i’ll have to go with the latter. :skip:

No one is debating WHY we are in this position.

My issue is fans with rose tinted glasses pretending a below average transfer window is "pretty good"

A pretty good window is signing someone like Enzo FUKIN Fernandez on deadline day!

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
In my group chat, we were discussing the lasting impact of Chelsea’s conduct over the last two windows. This egregious level of overpaying is now gonna have fans (and media) from every other big club kick up a fuss if their team isn’t willing to pay 50m over market value. I’m already seeing it with the fan channels that are upset that Arsenal didn’t pay the 80m for Caicedo and didn’t pay the 100m for Mudryk.

The fact that fans will now be demanding clubs pay 100m for players with less than a season worth of games under their belt is :scust:

I like Caicedo but someone with an 80m price tag should literally jump out at you every time you watch them play.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
In my group chat, we were discussing the lasting impact of Chelsea’s conduct over the last two windows. This egregious level of overpaying is now gonna have fans (and media) from every other big club kick up a fuss if their team isn’t willing to pay 50m over market value. I’m already seeing it with the fan channels that are upset that Arsenal didn’t pay the 80m for Caicedo and didn’t pay the 100m for Mudryk.

The fact that fans will now be demanding clubs pay 100m for players with less than a season worth of games under their belt is :scust:

I like Caicedo but someone with an 80m price tag should literally jump out at you every time you watch them play.
Supply demand rhetoric and barriers to entry dictate overall value. The notion of real player value is meaningless in football. I mean Jack Grealish for gods sake.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Supply demand rhetoric and barriers to entry dictate overall value. The notion of real player value is meaningless in football. I mean Jack Grealish for gods sake.

I would agree but there’s usually only 1-2 ridiculously overpriced signings per season. This season alone, we’ve seen Anthony, Fofana, Cucurella, Mudryk, Caicedo, Isak, Enzo, etc all going for pretty much double what they’re worth. The fact that none of them (Mudryk and Enzo are TBD) have lit up the league makes it even worse because future clubs will feel justified asking for exorbitant prices because they know the output doesn’t have to match.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
And you do :mjlol: Please educate us. No one is asking for an 80m player in January breh. All we needed was a solid replacement for Partey and Jorginho aint it. Imagine Xhaka and Jorginho starting important games down the stretch. That's where we are today unless some of our defenders can fill that role.

It's like cats forgot this dude lead a not that talented Chelsea team to a UCL and Italy to a Euros. Let just ignore that, let's ignore he has better numbers than Elneny, let's ignore he only cost a fraction of what the other transfers would have been. Let's also ignore the fact that splashing the cash in a situation of power isn't the flex people think it is. Not taking this window into account, look at the money Chelsea already spent...look at where they are in the table.

Its Monopoly money at this point and its insane. If I was a young academy talent in the Prem I'd be really worried. Most of these guys are going to have to go the Bellingham route and play in Germany or France before even getting a sniff of the PL. That's really bizarre to me. All of the teams I've enjoyed through the years have had talented cores of academy talent they've brought through the ranks. That paradigm is getting blown up and its sad to see.

Also, inflation is a thing so 100m now is basically 70m a decade ago. But to your point, 100m for a player should be game changing, team changing. If Mudryk is 100m then what's Mbappe's worth? 180m? 200m? Because you can look at him and PERHAPS 2 or 3 other players under 25 that can take matches over and win them nearly single handedly.

It's sad, man. I used to love when people took the time to research players, watch other leagues etc. I remember my homies who followed Serie A talking about players like Leao in 2019/2020. One of my good friends put me up on Camavinga when he was at the Rennes II. People don't take pride in doing their homework on players.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Some might say those two were flops, too. :skip:

Amateur hour smh. :snoop:

todd-boehly-boehly.gif

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I would agree but there’s usually only 1-2 ridiculously overpriced signings per season. This season alone, we’ve seen Anthony, Fofana, Cucurella, Mudryk, Caicedo, Isak, Enzo, etc all going for pretty much double what they’re worth. The fact that none of them (Mudryk and Enzo are TBD) have lit up the league makes it even worse because future clubs will feel justified asking for exorbitant prices because they know the output doesn’t have to match.

Imagine what bukayo saka would go for? :leon:

crazy i got fired in my fifa 23 manager mode for having too high wages they need that todd boehly mode

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps

What you're failing to account for when it comes to inflated transfer fees is that smaller/selling clubs no longer have to bow down to pressure and sell. These clubs either have billionaire owners themselves or are loaded from previous transfers so they can now sell on their own terms.

Also big clubs have now completely bought into their own bullshyt myth that it's impossible to take a chances on young players because of competitiveness of the league/CL. So they would rather outsource vetting/blooding of a young player like Caicedo to Brighton for 40m rather than buying him for 7m and doing it themselves.

naijaboi

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NaijaToLAViaATL
It's like cats forgot this dude lead a not that talented Chelsea team to a UCL and Italy to a Euros. Let just ignore that, let's ignore he has better numbers than Elneny, let's ignore he only cost a fraction of what the other transfers would have been. Let's also ignore the fact that splashing the cash in a situation of power isn't the flex people think it is. Not taking this window into account, look at the money Chelsea already spent...look at where they are in the table.
You are comparing him to Elneny and thats a problem. I don't mind players like Xhaka and Jorginho but they are players that require protection on the field so the prospect of having both starting important games is scary.

You keep mentioning big money signings like I didn't say a few pages ago we should walk away from the Caicedo deal. If the goal was to get a midfielder for cover in case of an injury to Partey we have not done that. That's all I'm highlighting. We could have with good scouting and planning but it is what is. Happy with the window overall. I think our bench is much stronger with ESR, Jesus and Reiss coming back soon.