Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
I would agree but there’s usually only 1-2 ridiculously overpriced signings per season. This season alone, we’ve seen Anthony, Fofana, Cucurella, Mudryk, Caicedo, Isak, Enzo, etc all going for pretty much double what they’re worth. The fact that none of them (Mudryk and Enzo are TBD) have lit up the league makes it even worse because future clubs will feel justified asking for exorbitant prices because they know the output doesn’t have to match.
Very good points.

• Dap
Reactions: EA

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Its Monopoly money at this point and its insane. If I was a young academy talent in the Prem I'd be really worried. Most of these guys are going to have to go the Bellingham route and play in Germany or France before even getting a sniff of the PL. That's really bizarre to me. All of the teams I've enjoyed through the years have had talented cores of academy talent they've brought through the ranks. That paradigm is getting blown up and its sad to see.

Also, inflation is a thing so 100m now is basically 70m a decade ago. But to your point, 100m for a player should be game changing, team changing. If Mudryk is 100m then what's Mbappe's worth? 180m? 200m? Because you can look at him and PERHAPS 2 or 3 other players under 25 that can take matches over and win them nearly single handedly.

If I was a young prospect at a big 6 club and my pathway to the first team wasn’t already mapped out, I’d 100% be looking for a move abroad. Guys like Bellingham, Sancho, Madueke, Marcus Edwards, Balogun have all gone abroad and increased heir profile. The other leagues are just that much better at developing talent now.

People forget that Mbappe and Haaland are both U25 as well. Them man are worth 300m+ in today’s market :heh:

Imagine what bukayo saka would go for? :leon:

crazy i got fired in my fifa 23 manager mode for having too high wages they need that todd boehly mode

No one could even chat to us if they’re not talking 200m. Sake’s on that level now if Enzo is 120m.

What you're failing to account for when it comes to inflated transfer fees is that smaller/selling clubs no longer have to bow down to pressure and sell. These clubs either have billionaire owners themselves or are loaded from previous transfers so they can now sell on their own terms.

Also big clubs have now completely bought into their own bullshyt myth that it's impossible to take a chances on young players because of competitiveness of the league/CL. So they would rather outsource vetting/blooding of a young player like Caicedo to Brighton for 40m rather than buying him for 7m and doing it themselves.

Whilst I agree that teams don’t have to sell anymore, we did just see what happens when teams don’t bend to ridiculous asking prices with the Anthony Gordon transfer. Everton were trying to charge Chelsea 60m for him in the summer, and just half a season later, his value dropped. These players are mostly unproven and inconsistent so teams need to stop being so reactionary in the market. Lyon were quoting 55m for Aoauar a few years ago and now he’s looking like he might leave on a free transfer.