Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
Makes no damn sense, but this is Chelsea. nearly 300m of players he wanted then gets sacked less than a month with them. Madness.
Yeah it's crazy, he was about to get one of those 6+1 Boehly contract extensions if he didn't lose to Dinamo Zagreb.

But it's pretty obvious players quit on him. Effort levels similar to Man Utd under Rangnick last season after getting knocked out of CL.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Yeah it's crazy, he was about to get one of those 6+1 Boehly contract extensions if he didn't lose to Dinamo Zagreb.

But it's pretty obvious players quit on him. Effort levels similar to Man Utd under Rangnick last season after getting knocked out of CL.

I just read there was a contract extension talk on the 19th of Aug.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
AVB had had a cup of coffee. Potter is in his 11 year as a head coach. Big difference.

AVB was still trying to do his Jose act at Chelsea but without none of the charisma.

Potter should get a more time because he's Boehly guy Tuchel wasn't and Tuchel did nothing to convince him he could be his guy he did the opposite.

Potter’s pedigree is much higher but I still feel like the jump from Brighton to Chelsea is a lot given the expectations of the club. Boehly’s gonna give him until the end of the season but if the team isn’t progressing the way they’re expecting, I can’t see him lasting 18 months

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Potter’s pedigree is much higher but I still feel like the jump from Brighton to Chelsea is a lot given the expectations of the club. Boehly’s gonna give him until the end of the season but if the team isn’t progressing the way they’re expecting, I can’t see him lasting 18 months

Look at Chelsea signings barring Koulibaly and the kids. The experienced players all have PL experience they all know Potterball theyve all but 1 who happens to be his former player played against it. The flexibility the movement the freedom the Chelsea players will enjoy playing in that type of system much more than whatever Tuchel was trying to do for the last 10 months.

Potter in 6 months at Swansea had Citeh going life and death with them in the cup. They were a championship team. What you think he'll do with higher level players?

This will be Boehly first managerial appointment the first guy will get some time providing results aren't too up and down.

Also let's be honest apart from Poch and Zidane who is waiting for Qatar to finish there aren't that many big club coaches out there at the moment. They either already employed/no chance of getting them at big clubs or they've already been at Chelsea.

What good coaches are there in the game at the minute not called Pep Carlo Klopp Conte? Enrique has a world cup as does Tite. Or the 2 I've already named? Xavi looks a good coach but we don't know enough yet whoelse is there ? Nagelsmann? then who else? It's looking very bare once you get past the big known names.

The only free person is Mancini but he can blow hot and cold and can be a pain in the ass as well.

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Not mad at Potter, he's proved himself now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage

Eh, I'd rather see him continue the project at Brighton. Sometimes the superstar players/mega budgets aren't the best thing at getting a team on the same page. Taking players who are hungry, and willing to do the job no matter what is rare. Leicester doesn't win the league imo if they took the Forrest route and bought 50 players when they came up.

That's part of why these mid-table teams are always in flux. I'd love to see a manager go. "Actually....fukk Chelsea."

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
Look at Chelsea signings barring Koulibaly and the kids. The experienced players all have PL experience they all know Potterball theyve all but 1 who happens to be his former player played against it. The flexibility the movement the freedom the Chelsea players will enjoy playing in that type of system much more than whatever Tuchel was trying to do for the last 10 months.

Potter in 6 months at Swansea had Citeh going life and death with them in the cup. They were a championship team. What you think he'll do with higher level players?

This will be Boehly first managerial appointment the first guy will get some time providing results aren't too up and down.

Also let's be honest apart from Poch and Zidane who is waiting for Qatar to finish there aren't that many big club coaches out there at the moment. They either already employed/no chance of getting them at big clubs or they've already been at Chelsea.

What good coaches are there in the game at the minute not called Pep Carlo Klopp Conte? Enrique has a world cup as does Tite. Or the 2 I've already named? Xavi looks a good coach but we don't know enough yet whoelse is there ? Nagelsmann? then who else? It's looking very bare once you get past the big known names.

The only free person is Mancini but he can blow hot and cold and can be a pain in the ass as well.

My concern about Potter is purely down to whether the players will respect his authority enough due to him not being accomplished from a winning perspective. If he can get the players to buy in then they should do well but this squad has shown for the last 2-3 seasons that there are character issues and it seems like it doesn’t take much for there to be fallings out in the changing room.

I like Potter and even wanted him at Arsenal over Arteta because I think he’d be better suited to a rebuild/young squad if he’s going to a big club. Given the amount spent on Chelsea’s squad, he’s going to have to hit the ground running.

I think Zidane would probably be the best big name to come in and command respect but he‘s made it clear that he doesn’t want to live in England. Mancini would also make sense but I get the feeling that he’s not gonna get off his sofa unless Madrid, Juve or Milan calls.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
Makes no damn sense, but this is Chelsea. nearly 300m of players he wanted then gets sacked less than a month with them. Madness.
This might be one of the most reactionary decisions I’ve ever seen in football unless Boehly already had someone in mind.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
My concern about Potter is purely down to whether the players will respect his authority enough due to him not being accomplished from a winning perspective. If he can get the players to buy in then they should do well but this squad has shown for the last 2-3 seasons that there are character issues and it seems like it doesn’t take much for there to be fallings out in the changing room.

I like Potter and even wanted him at Arsenal over Arteta because I think he’d be better suited to a rebuild/young squad if he’s going to a big club. Given the amount spent on Chelsea’s squad, he’s going to have to hit the ground running.

I think Zidane would probably be the best big name to come in and command respect but he‘s made it clear that he doesn’t want to live in England. Mancini would also make sense but I get the feeling that he’s not gonna get off his sofa unless Madrid, Juve or Milan calls.

Chelsea do have a central midfield issue they havent addresses though.