Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps

Robbie barking the play by play like he's Ray Hudson.

CTdS2BM.png

I kinda feel sorry for the Egyptian dude.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Happy for Cisse. Two straight AFCONs where local managers win the trophy. Stop hiring Europeans :mjpls:

This is my main reason as to why I went for Senegal here. I want to see African players playing for African managers for African nations. Could you imagine the "scandal" if Cisse was tipped to manage England or France :mjlol: They'd riot in the streets.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Apparently Cisse has a national team selection policy don't know if it is accurate or not but dude only selects guys who play (1) in Europe (2) who are in top divisions in Insert Major European Country (EPL, Ligue 1, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc). So If you are a guy playing in China US Middle East or any other place that is not a respectable football league, he will not select you in the national side.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Apparently Cisse has a national team selection policy don't know if it is accurate or not but dude only selects guys who play (1) in Europe (2) who are in top divisions in Insert Major European Country (EPL, Ligue 1, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc). So If you are a guy playing in China US Middle East or any other place that is not a respectable football league, he will not select you in the national side.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, I think Clarence Seedorf wanted to implement a similar policy at Cameroon when he managed their national team last go around. Kinda makes sense since Senegal doesn't really have any local clubs they can recruit from even for a GK.

Usually other African nations will have at least one or two players that play for a local club, usually the GK.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, I think Clarence Seedorf wanted to implement a similar policy at Cameroon when he managed their national team last go around. Kinda makes sense since Senegal doesn't really have any local clubs they can recruit from even for a GK.

Usually other African nations will have at least one or two players that play for a local club, usually the GK.

I think he is smart enough to recognize that abroad instills a different level of competition and that is real. Our leagues on the continent cannot compete.

However this international vs local argument is prevalent argument in African countries especially Francophone ones. Ppl point out to those North African countries who have won multiple afcons like Egypt pre Salah. How many Egyptian players who are thriving in big teams in European leagues are thriving outside of Salah.

Those same argument proponents point to the star studded Ivory Coast teams of the past who did not win anything for the longest.

Great debate to have.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I think he is smart enough to recognize that abroad instills a different level of competition and that is real. Our leagues on the continent cannot compete.

However this international vs local argument is prevalent argument in African countries especially Francophone ones. Ppl point out to those North African countries who have won multiple afcons like Egypt pre Salah. How many Egyptian players who are thriving in big teams in European leagues are thriving outside of Salah.

Those same argument proponents point to the star studded Ivory Coast teams of the past who did not win anything for the longest.

Great debate to have.

With Egypt, their 3-peat run featured a team mostly of Al-Ahly, Zamalek and Ismaily players. Their squads were well organized and had high team chemistry, unlike other African nations that tended to be a smattering of players in different leagues, teams, and different philosophies of play.

I can't say too much for other N. African nations (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia) but in Egypt, their domestic league is very well supported and the Egyptian economy is good enough that the top players may not feel the need to go overseas and seek greener pastures.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
Elitist but effective

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With Egypt, their 3-peat run featured a team mostly of Al-Ahly, Zamalek and Ismaily players. Their squads were well organized and had high team chemistry, unlike other African nations that tended to be a smattering of players in different leagues, teams, and different philosophies of play.

I can't say too much for other N. African nations (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia) but in Egypt, their domestic league is very well supported and the Egyptian economy is good enough that the top players may not feel the need to go overseas and seek greener pastures.

In terms of club/league value in North Africa Egypt is 1, then Tunisia/Morocco, and finally Algeria. The big clubs in Morocco (Raja, Wydad) and Tunisia (Esperance) have big followings and relatively big budgets in African terms. Algeria's league is quite well supported as well (in terms of fan support) but clubs there have smaller budgets.

As far as how this translates to their NT - Egypt pulls almost exclusively from their big clubs Zamalek/Ahly/ and now Pyramids. Tunisia also historically and till now always has domestic league players on their team. Morocco and Algeria on the other hand have relied on their diaspora players who were brought up in academies in France (and Netherlands/Belgium for Morocco). One interesting exception for Algeria is CF Paradou, a relatively new club in terms of their history, that has put resources into developing a European style academy system. They've had some success with Bouadoui and Youcef Atal both sold to Ligue 1 for good sums.

I'd like to see stronger domestic leagues in other parts of Africa, but obviously the economy (and backing from monied businessmen) are the main variables.

One thing thats a bit of a mystery is why South Africa doesnt do better. They have a strong domestic league thats well supported and players all from the same league and yet constantly choke in qualifying. I do find they are fun to watch, when they are at their best though.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Was doing some readings on past AFCONs after this one wrapped up. Some very interesting findings

-Kinda surprised that Tunisia and Morocco only have 1 title each. Morocco hasn't won since 1976. Their last Top 3 finish was in 2004 but they're considered an African "powerhouse". Looking kinda suspect in the light...
-Nigeria leading the way with eight 3rd place finishes. "Always the bridesmaid never the bride" :francis:

AFCON rankings of title-winning nations.

1. Egypt: 7 titles - 3x runner up - 3x bronze
2. Cameroon: 5 titles - 2x runner up - 2x bronze
3. Ghana: 4 titles - 5x runner up - 1x bronze
4. Nigeria: 3 titles - 4x runner up - 8x bronze
5. Ivory Coast: 2 titles - 2x runner up - 4x bronze
6. Algeria: 2 titles - 1x runner up - 2x bronze
7. DR Congo: 2 titles - 2x bronze
8. Zambia: 1 title - 2x runner up - 3x bronze
9. Tunisia: 1 title - 2x runner up - 1x bronze
10. Sudan: 1 title - 2x runner up - 1x bronze
11. Senegal: 1 title - 2x runner ups
12. Ethiopia: 1 title - 1x runner up - 1x bronze