Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Mascherano at CB is understandable, he was already defensive. However I feel Yaya at CB was kinda a waste

Not online necessarily, but almost everyone I know irl seems to remember him as that kind of player for some reason :stopitslime:

Masch was nothing like a traditional CB. He was short, slow, could barely head the ball. It seemed like madness to people at the time. MU fans were hoping to exploit him as a weakpoint in 2011 but Pep made it work. Like he made Yaya work.

In hindsight people might think of Masch as being a good defender but at the time ...

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

FzJHSeF.png

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
really hate it when people try to box him in as a typical midfield destroyer due to his physique. He had crazy technique

Seedorf was probably my favourite midfielder as a kid, he was such a brilliant player. Amazing at everything. He was so complete.

Essien was fantastic as well, basically a Seedorf regen. It's sad he had all those injury problems, we never got to see him as a mature elder statesman type midfielder, with wisdom and experience compensating for declining explosiveness.

i hate that shyt. Pep making Yaya play CB and Mou making Mikel a DM. Iirc Mikel was a 10 before Mou

We all know why :mjpls:

Why is there a perception that defensive midfielders are somehow lesser? It's a position that requires tremendous intelligence, tactical knowledge and vision. Only the smartest midfielders can play at defensive midfield with consistent success. You've got to be able to stay two moves ahead of the opposition, so you're always in the right place to intercept a pass or better still prevent it from being attempted in the first place by shutting down the angle. You've got to stay aware of all the off the ball movement. And you have to be so clear in your decision making as to when to press forward and challenge the guy on the ball, or when to stand off him and provide cover.

And then when you get on the ball you've got a lot of responsibility as well, you're the guy who sets the tempo of the game. You can play it safe and make short, simple passes. Or you can be more direct. Equally your positioning is also important. Sometimes you choose to push up the field and contribute to the attack, other times you stay back to cover the defence. The best defensive midfielders know how to mix it up, they determine when to retain possession and when to take risks based on their reading of the match situation.

So overall you have to be so intelligent to play at that position. Out on the wings and at number 10, you don't. Technical skill and pace will do just fine. You don't need to be constantly thinking about the state of the game.

Mikel was ideal for it because his outstanding attribute was intelligence, not skill on the ball. He was a way better number 6 than he could ever have been a number 10.

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
That leaked team should be more than enough to beat Villa at home.

I predict a United and another game where United fail to keep a clean sheet. My official position remains #OleOut regardless of what happens today.

Wtf is Chelsea vs City on at the same time though? Should be a super Sunday fixture.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
That leaked team should be more than enough to beat Villa at home.

I predict a United and another game where United fail to keep a clean sheet. My official position remains #OleOut regardless of what happens today.

Wtf is Chelsea vs City on at the same time though? Should be a super Sunday fixture.

Citeh play on Tuesday.

Also Chelsea vs Citeh has been a Saturday game for the last few years. Usually the 5:30 game.