Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
It's a dog eat dog world, competitors have no reason to offload Barca's dead weight considering they are absolute beggars right now with 0 leverage.

And Barça also missed plenty of opportunities to clear the mess :
- they could have not buy Aguero or Depay and them to pile up even more on the wage bill but they did anyway
- they could have sold Grizzi to Atleti weeks ago but they didnt
- most importantly, they could have sold Messi to City last year and literally solve the issue (a likely 100M+ transfer fee and Messi wages off the books) but they didnt. :mindblown:
I disagree, clubs and agents help each other out all the time. While obviously other clubs wouldn't give them the money they wanted, they would still help them offload players.

Italian teams do it all the time between each other and that Pjanic/Arthur swap deal from last season was just a way for both clubs to balance their books. I've mentioned it before but Juventus exchanged Spinazzola to Roma for a 20-year old left back who they immediately loaned out to Cagliari and then to Genoa, no intention of ever using him. It was a book balancing deal and also I believe a wink-wink deal for Zaniolo in the future, but then Zaniolo had two ACL injuries.

I'm sure Barca could easily find a partial salary loan for Coutinho and Pjanic, find a taker for Braithwaite, been less demanding with Atletico in that Griezmann exchange deal, but like you said instead of doing that they actually kept bringing in players :manny:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Dani Alves :wow:

• 6 LaLiga Santander
  • 5 Copa del Rey
  • 5 Supercopa de Espana
  • 4 European Supercup
  • 3 Champions League
  • 2 Europa League
  • 3 Club World Cup
  • 1 Serie A
  • 1 Coppa Italia
  • 2 Ligue 1
  • 1 Coupe de France
  • 1 Trophee des Champions
  • 1 Coupe de la Ligue
  • 1 Paulista Championship
  • 1 Copa do Nordeste
  • 2 Copa America
  • 2 Confederations Cups
  • 1 Olympic Gold Medal

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And the award for the biggest loser club goes to Man United. Let's give them a round of applause everyone

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We are atleast 4 quality signings away from making a serious title challenge

Fed up honestly

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
And the award for the biggest loser club goes to Man United. Let's give them a round of applause everyone

McFred forever

giphy.webp

SwagKingKong

All Star
Daps
I disagree, clubs and agents help each other out all the time. While obviously other clubs wouldn't give them the money they wanted, they would still help them offload players.

Italian teams do it all the time between each other and that Pjanic/Arthur swap deal from last season was just a way for both clubs to balance their books. I've mentioned it before but Juventus exchanged Spinazzola to Roma for a 20-year old left back who they immediately loaned out to Cagliari and then to Genoa, no intention of ever using him. It was a book balancing deal and also I believe a wink-wink deal for Zaniolo in the future, but then Zaniolo had two ACL injuries.

I'm sure Barca could easily find a partial salary loan for Coutinho and Pjanic, find a taker for Braithwaite, been less demanding with Atletico in that Griezmann exchange deal, but like you said instead of doing that they actually kept bringing in players :manny:

You are wrong. First of all, La Liga rules state that a player can reduce his salary with a max 50 % from the previous year; Messi agreed to do that.

Secondly, the club can max have 70 % of their income spent on salary. Barca stands on 95 %, as of today, without Messis salary, hence theyre having to offload players, still.

So if you do the math, they would basically have to get rid of Griezmann, umtiti, pjanic, coutinho and sergi roberto to sign Messi. Laporta tried just that and failed. Nobodys taking on their salaries, theyre too high, especially in full. For example, Pjanic is probably going back to Italy on loan but Barca will still pay probably half his salary. Every team in the world knows that they have to reduce salary by any means so there will be loans where Barca still has to pay a percentage of the salaries.

They couldve taken the cvc investment deal with La Liga but then they wouldve been forced to give up TV rights for 50 years and making a superleague impossible for them to join. So they chose not to and thats why Messi couldnt be signed.

La liga were not going to make an exception because they want to force Barca to take the cvc investment deal, so that they cant leave La Liga to form a superleague in the future.