Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

DrHackenbush

Happy wars/sad love songs
Daps

Yeah no word about Kimpembe who dived in and got skinned or the fact that if Mbappe would have scored 1 of the 2 Pogba laid on for him the game would have been over. Always find some way of blaming Pogba. Dude just needs to leave the Premier league, they never appreciated him..always with the "he doesn't work hard enough" BS premier league mentality which is why they breed players like Jordan Henderson instead of Pogba

DrHackenbush

Happy wars/sad love songs
Daps
They have a point though. :ld: Attacking wise Pogba was incredible, but his dilly-dallying on the ball resulted in Swizz's 3rd goal.

He didn't dilly-dally on the ball, there were 3/4 Swiss players around him when he got the ball, he literally took 1 touch and one of the Swiss players just nicked in and toed it away. There were still 5/6 players behind him after that

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
France should had way more players back. Absolutely criminal they had committed so many forward that late in game but it’s also criminal Pogba gave the ball away there.

Pogba has been absolutely brilliant this tournament but an elite MF should not give the ball away there at that point in the match.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
It really is, when you speed him up you lose so much of what makes him great.
I disagree.

Pogba was stellar with Juve against Pep's Bayern. Same against Pep's City when Mou beat them in their stadium when they had the title celebrations ready. And those Pep teams were pressing heavy ones

In both cases Pogba played higher on the field (LM with Juve, 8/10 with United) because that's where he should be played. A guy with his striking and vision is wasted in a double pivot. Play man as 8 almost 10 role and it's a wrap for the opposition.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
France should had way more players back. Absolutely criminal they had committed so many forward that late in game but it’s also criminal Pogba gave the ball away there.

Pogba has been absolutely brilliant this tournament but an elite MF should not give the ball away there at that point in the match.

This is false. I suggest you go back to the game and pause and slow watch from 89:29 to the 89:34. France had pushed up because Lloris was taking an offside free kick. The CB's where on their halfway circle and Pogba had just gone over the halfway line with his cushion header to Benz.

Pogba problem was he didn't scan his left he was only looking right. So when Pogba was about to get the ball back from Benz he had 3 options. Turn back or first time pass to the left for Coman were the best ones. There was a first time pass to Sissoko that was also on to the right but that was risky because it was would of had to be on his left. Taking the first touch is what allowed the Swiss to swarm him

Last edited:

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
This is false. I suggest you go back to the game and pause and slow watch from 89:29 to the 89:34. France had pushed up because Lloris was taking an offside free kick. The CB's where on their halfway circle and Pogba had just gone over the halfway line with his cushion header to Benz.

Pogba problem was he didn't scan his left he was only looking right. So when Pogba was about to get the ball back from Benz he had 3 options. Turn back or first time pass to the left for Coman were the best ones. There was a first time pass to Sissoko that was also on to the right but that was risky because it was would of had to be on his left.
Or Benz doesnt give the ball back to Pogba who is surrounded by 3 swiss and instead send it to Sissoko on the right where he was chilling.

Pointing that goal back to Pogba is unfair. Not saying he has 0 responsability because he did turn the ball over and he should have scanned over his left but he's not among the ones that share most of the blame.

It's like saying Ginola is responsible for Kostadinov's goal in '93. Like the TO happens yes but the whole defensive sequence that follows is a disaster. And also the opposition played the counter well too. That shouldnt be forgotten either.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Or Benz doesnt give the ball back to Pogba who is surrounded by 3 swiss and instead send it to Sissoko on the right where he was chilling.

Pointing that goal back to Pogba is unfair. Not saying he has 0 responsability because he did turn the ball over and he should have scanned over his left but he's not among the ones that share most of the blame.

It's like saying Ginola is responsible for Kostadinov's goal in '93. Like the TO happens yes but the whole defensive sequence that follows is a disaster. And also the opposition played the counter well too. That shouldnt be forgotten either.

You and I both know if your CM turns the ball over in midfield and the Opps score that player is getting the majority of the blame. Always has done always will do.

That Bulgaria blame game goal is a classic. :pachaha: :hubie:

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
I disagree.

Pogba was stellar with Juve against Pep's Bayern. Same against Pep's City when Mou beat them in their stadium when they had the title celebrations ready. And those Pep teams were pressing heavy ones

In both cases Pogba played higher on the field (LM with Juve, 8/10 with United) because that's where he should be played. A guy with his striking and vision is wasted in a double pivot. Play man as 8 almost 10 role and it's a wrap for the opposition.
I’m mostly speaking under the assumption we’re talking about him deeper in midfield, in the PL especially he just doesn’t do things quick enough to play there.

I’ve liked him on the left when he’s played there for us, he was outstanding when he played consistently last season. Though I would always prefer Rashford there, which will likely mostly be the case now Sancho is coming for RW. So that now presents a problem, where does Poggers play? No.10? Nope, whatever you want to say about him recently, Bruno has that locked and is better than Pogba there(for us/our system).

He’s an outstanding player who I’d be happy to keep to play in advanced positions, but I wouldn’t cry over him leaving if it meant we replaced him with a top class CDM/CM who CAN be amazing in the double pivot(or a good enough CDM to allow us to play a single pivot with two either side) :manny: