Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
Gary Neville got vested interest in things staying the way they are. He’s a club owner(part of a group) for fck sakes who has already sold 50% stake to a billionaire. You think wants that club eventually make its way to 1st division he’s not gonna cash in? :lolbron:
Stop it this is mainly because of the American owners

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
If these join Bayern and PSG it's a wrap. Add to that Ajax, Lyon, Porto, Atalanta, Dortmund. That's nine teams in the Champions League vs ten in the rebel league. It would seriously undermine the USP of the rebels if there almost as many strong teams outside their league as there are within it. Throw in all the bans and sanctions and sheer outrage and there's no way the rebel league will survive past half a season.
atalanta? really? over sevilla, napoli or benfica? lol

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Not sure this invalidates anything Gary Neville has said. Not sure why fans bring things like this up.
Cause he’s a massive fukking hypocrite, been a United fan for 40 years but only now he wants to speak up about the Glazers and they’ve been ‘scavenging’ your club for how long? Again I don’t support this shyt it’s :scust: but I’ve no time for high and mighty hypocritical bullshyt either.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Cause he’s a massive fukking hypocrite, been a United fan for 40 years but only now he wants to speak up about the Glazers and they’ve been ‘scavenging’ your club for how long? Again I don’t support this shyt it’s :scust: but I’ve no time for high and mighty hypocritical bullshyt either.

He also addressed that and admitted he didn't speak up about the Glazers. Again, that shouldn't fly in the face of the points being made why this is a terrible idea. Its like only a saint can speak up when something is wrong so no one should ever speak up against anything.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Does that make him any less of a hypocrite? Y’all gotta stop coming at me like I support this shyt cause I don’t but I’m not gonna listen to people be hypocrites and I’m not trying to hear anything from Sky Sports or BT talking about greed given the money people have to pay for their coverage and as posted above the way they took CL off free-to-air :dead:

But you've nailed the problem. This shyt doesn't actually happen in the overseas markets. They make the vast majority of their money from European fans for two reasons; 1) the interest and engagement is the highest, and 2) a single European fan has the purchasing power of two dozen African and Asian fans.

Even Australia for example. Football will only ever be a niche sport here because we already like cricket, rugby league, tennis and Aussie rules; these sports have up to 170 years of history here and football can't ever compete with that tradition. But an Australian has basically the same purchasing power as a European, so one Australian fan is potentially worth 20 in developing countries even if football is the dominant sport there.

When I got into football it was all free to air. Well not all of it, but enough to get a boy's attention. The Premier League used to be on FTA until like 2004 I think. Leeds were very popular because they had Viduka and Kewell tearing it up, getting to the Champions League semi finals and such. Lots of people also liked Manchester United an Arsenal being the dominant teams in the early 00s, and Chelsea too mostly for Zola and Hasselbaink. But we also got other leagues on FTA, Serie A (hence my supporting Inter) and Bundesliga. And we got Champions League and UEFA Cup, the European Championship and the World Cup. shyt was sweet. You got access to all the best club and international football without having to pay a cent.

Now nothing is on FTA. One network carrys international football, Premier League, and the European club tournaments; another network carrys the other European domestic leagues. The first network charges $15 a month (or it's free if your mobile phone contract is with that company), the second $25 a month (although that provides a shyt ton of sports included in the package, it's not exclusively football).

So let's do some quick maths. Suppose I take out both subscriptions (and for a short time last year I actually did). The Premier League and Champions League each got $5 a month from me; Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, and La Liga got like... a dollar a month each? 50 cents a month? Some really small fraction of $25, since it has to be divided up into 4 leagues and the total bill is for like 20 other sports, many of which - cricket, league, tennis, Aussie rules - would command the lion's share for the Australian market.

Now let's say there are 2 million Australians who like football enough to take out both subscriptions (this is an extremely generous estimation on my part, the real number is probably way smaller). The Premier League as a whole takes in $120 million a year from Australia, the Champions League another $120 million, and the other European domestic leagues about $12 million a year, each.

It's not a huge market. And bear in mind even though the subscriber count is small, Australia alone probably out earns most of Asia (excluding Japan, Singapore and South Korea basically) and all of Africa combined. In India for example an annual pass to watch every single football match in Europe, all competitions in one package, clocks in at about $4 per person per year. You'd need 180 million Indian subscribers to equal what you get from 2 million Australians.

Europe is where these super league clubs will make their money then. Its got the right mix of high population and wealthy population. JP Morgan are not loaning them 3.5 billion on the expectation that they will recoup more than a third or half of that outside Europe, the risk would have been justified by ratings projections and TV rights for the European market.

So if Europeans maintain the rage and boycott the rebels, they will be deep in shyt.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
:dead:at city and chelsea having to persuade spurs
spurs are the key to all of this :dead:

Spurs, Chelsea and Citeh have no power in the structure. Yeah they will be founding members but this is all being led by United Liverpool Arsenal Real and Juve owners who take up all the power positions. Spurs can side with Citeh and Chelsea's stance they didnt want to get left behind even tho Spurs are Pro SL mainly to make the stadium worth the outlay. The main ringleaders are those 5 clubs so they will get the most shyt.

Spurs Inter Barca and Atletico have big debts so they can say their motivation was to repay their debts quicker.

Last edited:

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
He also addressed that and admitted he didn't speak up about the Glazers. Again, that shouldn't fly in the face of the points being made why this is a terrible idea. Its like only a saint can speak up when something is wrong so no one should ever speak up against anything.
Have I said anywhere that it’s not a terrible idea :francis:

Doesn’t mean I’m gonna listen to Gary and other hypocrites get on their soapbox either :hhh:

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
They aren't recent Champions League quarter finalists are they? Atalanta got that far fairly recently I thought
atalanta have done better than napoli the past few years and are a better side

however considering arsenal and tottenham got in i dont think that really matters for this :dead: and napoli are a bigger club with more clout