Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Question is do the domestic leagues have legal authority to kick or even punish these teams?

And if they do will they have the balls to so it?
Those happen as point deductions or straight up relegations but it's usually for financial reasons.

Palermo was relegated some years ago. Juve got relegated after Calciopoli. Rangers got demoted to like 4th division or something. It's possible but also depends on countries' law.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
I assume the Leagues can say that the clubs broke the agreement/contracts.
Those happen as point deductions or straight up relegations but it's usually for financial reasons.

Palermo was relegated some years ago. Juve got relegated after Calciopoli. Rangers got demoted to like 4th division or something. It's possible but also depends on countries' law.
I'm assuming clubs will argue that this has no effect on domestic leagues and only on CL/EL to avoid any punishment.

Even though we all know what the end game is :francis:

sportscribe

Superstar
Daps
1. Because local rivalries matter more to Europe and the clubs left out of this will suffer.

2. These NFL owners will see to it that there's a salary cap which will cause so may problems..

3. it's not all the best teams. French and Germans aren't there.

1. I agree, but that's not the point. This breakaway league is about consolidating power among the big clubs while maximizing revenue.

2. This is based on what exactly? Salary caps in American sports are more about ensuring parity. European clubs operate on a free market system. Do you think all of these owners will kowtow to some American billionaires when they themselves have as much if not more money than them? Do you think players themselves wouldn't boycott?

3. You mean Bayern and PSG? They already dominate their respective leagues anyway, so nothing has changed.

Where is this fallacy coming from that all the teams are somehow owned by Americans who will rule the roost and somehow make all the decisions everyone will ?simply fall in line and follow?:

Let's look at the facts:

Manchester City: Owned by an Emirati group
Tottenham FC: Owned by a British investment company
Chelsea FC: Owned by Roman Abramovich, a Russian
Real Madrid: Owned by its club members
Barcelona FC: Owned by its club members
Atletico Madrid: Majority shareholder is from Israel
Inter Milan: Owned by a Chinese conglomorate
Juventus: Owned by an Italian business family

Only AC Milan, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd (by owning majority of the shares outstanding) are owned by majority US shareholders.

TobiOT

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
East London
ctlE8e-y

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
And some American posters in the other thread want this like the nfl because that's what they used to :picard:

I don’t even like to sound like snob but the American sports model will never work for football. I could list several reasons why it won’t but I’ll just summarise it by saying it’s a terrible idea.

This has nothing to do over with this fake American concept of “parity” because if that was the case, Liverpool, Utd and Arsenal owners wouldn’t have been front and centre lobbying for the big six to have voting/veto rights over team takeovers. They just want to protect their profits.