Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It does sound like it's a project that would instill a salary cap. But if fukking Florentino is the president, one would guess he's doing this so he can back to the Galácticos fukkery and not worry about financial fair play.

Greed instills more greed. They will want to increase revenue YOY and net profit so the players will be on the other end of that.

Roberto Firmino

#GoonLife
Daps
Reppin
Naija
Players gonna get fucced and they don't even realize it. These NFL owners are gonna put in a salary cap.
I don't know about a hard salary cap but I did see something earlier about 55% of turnover being the max allowed to be spent on wages can't remember where and don't know how true that is.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Greed instills more greed. They will want to increase revenue YOY and net profit so the players will be on the other end of that.

I'd expect a salary cap to show up eventually, not from the get go. I'd think most teams would want freedom to sign every top player they can get so they can gain the most interest. Once that is done and people start losing interesting on a league that doesn't have any motivation whatsoever for 95% of it's participants, I could see management saying "well, fukk it" and put a salary to maximize them TV contracts.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Also.. after two years of seeing the same teams and no possibility for change it will get boring.

Yes.. level of comp matters but the other part is "the dream". Same teams every year gonna destroy the dream aspect.
And that's when they'll start hosting the games in New York, LA, Tokyo, Dubai, etc. etc. and invite teams from other continents.

IF this really happens it's the opening of Pandora's box in so many ways. Don't think for a second owners weren't watching with hard eyes when Boca played River in Spain.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Also.. after two years of seeing the same teams and no possibility for change it will get boring.

Yes.. level of comp matters but the other part is "the dream". Same teams every year gonna destroy the dream aspect.

That's gonna be their main downfall, imo.

You can't have an NFL-type league when the main attraction of it, parity (or the illusion of it), is gone. For it to have the kind of parity it needs, it would require the kind of rules that clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester, etc. would not accept. And if they do, a significant portion of their fanbase would just dip.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
You can't play with over a hundred years of tradition in Europe. Generations grew up on watching their club have a chance to be something or pull an upset. Rivalries are organic.. they've spanned for decades..

These rivalries will consist of bandwagoners not a grandfather and father and son.. Bandwagoners are unreliable. When you price out the true fans.. you not gonna like the end result.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You can't play with over a hundred years of tradition in Europe. Generations grew up on watching their club have a chance to be something or pull an upset. Rivalries are organic.. they've spanned for decades..

These rivalries will consist of bandwagoners not a grandfather and father and son.. Bandwagoners are unreliable. When you price out the true fans.. you not gonna like the end result.

but americans and rich arabs don't care about history. Stan kroenke moved the rams from st louis, all these other american owners own teams in leagues where teams move cities etc.

They don't care about history.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I could see management saying "well, fukk it" and put a salary to maximize them TV contracts.

Yep.. that's the NFL way. They are seasoned vets when it comes to fuccing over players to maximize profits. They'll start doin sneak shyt like expanding the playoffs... and then the regular season. The more games the better.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
but americans and rich arabs don't care about history. Stan kroenke moved the rams from st louis, all these other american owners own teams in leagues where teams move cities etc.

They don't care about history.

And I think they are undervaluing the interest people have in the name of the clubs and players instead of said tradition.

Who gives a fukk if Haaland and Mbappe are playing for the SuperClub Cup III in 2025 :mjlol: this whole project sounds like it will lose steam after a couple of years if they are not able to struck a deal with UEFA/FIFA.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
And I think they are undervaluing the interest people have in the name of the clubs and players instead of said tradition.

Who gives a fukk if Haaland and Mbappe are playing for the SuperClub Cup III in 2025 :mjlol: this whole project sounds like it will lose steam after a couple of years if they are not able to struck a deal with UEFA/FIFA.

the thing as well is say being a fan of tottenham, man city , arsenal etc. and you went to away games now the train ride to this and that, Now with brexit you're going to have to pay much more to go fly to spain this week, italy the next etc.