Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
mendy slowed down for that tackle lol'
happy i didnt bother to tune in for either game

edit: wouldnt be surprised if madrid still lose or draw

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Brehs and Crehs....Was always a distant observer (world cups + generally keeping tabs on the greats) but finally started watching/following european league. Not gonna lie, 75% of the time I just watch the extended highlights online (which I think are amazing) due to work/life time limitations. Trying to get a feel for the conventional wisdom and have questions around here on a few topics.

1. VAR? Personally I'm a fan

2. Ansu Fati? How does he compare or where is he "ranked" informally or not among the best younger players.

3. I never played growing up so I know almost nothing about strategy/formations etc anyone know of a decent video/site with the basics

4. Do you think or has there been any discussion regarding if/how covid era playing conditions (no crowds) have affected specific teams? Has there been any appreciable decline say in home field advantage?

When I was still enlisted and didn't get paid to go to school, I missed like 80 percent of Man U's games, and could only do what you were doing. It's hard over here man.

To answer one out of four because the euro bros are probably better equipped for the other 3, a few team's fanbases have used the COVID no crowd thing as an excuse. IE Liverpool

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
When you say "use to blow up" you mean the refs or the players?

Ahh, so if it goes to VAR the decision is made by a video ref?

It's difficult to say bc as you suggest so much of this revolves around subjective interpretations of things that are happening very quickly and obviously there's something to be said for wanting to encourage a free flowing quality to the game. At the end of the day though I think ensuring that clearly incorrect calls are rectified are more compelling interests than the drawbacks. They can always work on the process - but having instances where a blatantly incorrect call cost a team a championship is inexcusable.

wtf...68 straight wins is absolutely insane.

The refs use to blow the whistle for almost every dive/flop on any bit of contact. Now they don't do it as often. They allow the game to flow, play on/allow the advantage more. This has happened more in the European leagues and CL/EL/International matches.

The video ref job is to confirm the on pitch refs decision/check for any infringements on that decision/or anything the ref might of missed like off the ball incidents. But it hasn't worked like that. The on pitch ref has made some bad calls and the video refs have back the call up. Like giving pens when the initial foul and contact happened outside the box but the fouled players momentum took them into the box. And then there is the handball rule.