Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs and Crehs....Was always a distant observer (world cups + generally keeping tabs on the greats) but finally started watching/following european league. Not gonna lie, 75% of the time I just watch the extended highlights online (which I think are amazing) due to work/life time limitations. Trying to get a feel for the conventional wisdom and have questions around here on a few topics.

1. VAR? Personally I'm a fan

2. Ansu Fati? How does he compare or where is he "ranked" informally or not among the best younger players.

3. I never played growing up so I know almost nothing about strategy/formations etc anyone know of a decent video/site with the basics

4. Do you think or has there been any discussion regarding if/how covid era playing conditions (no crowds) have affected specific teams? Has there been any appreciable decline say in home field advantage?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Brehs and Crehs....Was always a distant observer (world cups + generally keeping tabs on the greats) but finally started watching/following european league. Not gonna lie, 75% of the time I just watch the extended highlights online (which I think are amazing) due to work/life time limitations. Trying to get a feel for the conventional wisdom and have questions around here on a few topics.

2. Ansu Fati? How does he compare or where is he "ranked" informally or not among the best younger players.

3. I never played growing up so I know almost nothing about strategy/formations etc anyone know of a decent video/site with the basics

4. Do you think or has there been any discussion regarding if/how covid era playing conditions (no crowds) have affected specific teams? Has there been any appreciable decline say in home field advantage?
1. VAR as a technology is good but it's its use that is controversial. Referees interpretations and he lack of daring to contradict a main ref's bad decision makes VAR looks bad. One issue is also that slow motions make anything meaningful while sometimes it's just reflexes or momentum and this seems to be lost by referees.

2. For what it's worth, a couple of weeks ago, l'Equipe rated Fati as best player in the world under 20

- I would recommend the 'Inverting the pyramid' book that will give you an history of the most revolutionary/famous strategies since football's inception.
- You can also watch this Tifo Football youtube channel which often goes in depth into tactics (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCGYYNGmyhZ_kwBF_lqqXdAQ)
- A couple years ago, I used to read this dude's blog : Adin Osmanbasic

4. Don't know.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

1. VAR has improved refereeing to a degree. They seem to allow the game to flow more than previously. Before VAR the majority of them use to blow up for anything, now its only a minority who are being very anal. But the actual decision making has probably gotten worse from both the refs and the video ref people. But thats because the rules seem to be unclear and the refs are all using their own interpretations of the laws. It seems like the refs and the videos ref are trying not to undermine one another in some instances.

2. Fati is got to do it on a cold wet night in Stoke Depending on who coaches Barca next season and if Messi is no longer there he should flourish even more. Until Messi is gone everyone has to play 2nd fiddle. But he is legit, but needs an standout performance in a big European game to get the hype hype. If he does some magic in the Euros (if fit for that) then yeah his star probably just underneath Mbappe & Haaland as goal scorers gets all the love.

3. Tbh me personally. Every sport I've watched and I watch a lot. I've always just watched the sport and figured it out for myself.

Look for zonal marking/Michael cox on Twitter. I think he his old site zonal marking is pretty much dead. But he also has book called Zonal marking.

Can check Tifo football on YT.

Navigate thru this site The Coaches' Voice | The Inside View of Football you'll get some old school formations and tactics of yesterday eras teams and coaches.

This is decent for analysis Match Analysis Archives - Football Bloody Hell

Books

41D+OjJf3BL.jpg

51-lkvGJlNL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51UvIMo+aBL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

4. Yes covid/no crowds has had a huge impact. Away wins are at an all time high. And the home crowd is the 12th man for many teams. Especially those with close knit communities where football is the lifeblood of the town/city. Probably helped some managers/coaches keep their jobs tho with no fans.

Last edited:

Montez

Superstar
Daps

1. VAR is only an issue in England. Will always be teething issues but it's here to stay. It takes away from the drama but they will figure it out.

2. Tier 1 but he's younger and isn't in a great situation. Plus he's recently had surgery on his knee.

3. @Liu Kang & @Kunty McPhuck Dropped gems. Would also add https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFY0YHhxiIQWYYsLgeUBcbg

4. West Ham being the top 4 and Liverpool losing 4 in a row at home after going 68 unbeaten could be the biggest signs of the no fans in the stadium. I do think it's hard because there are so many other factors. Hellish schedule and injuries have been killing Liverpool who play an uptempo style.