Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
You mean to tell me a guy like Pogba who can make passes like that can’t get into mufc? :stopitslime:

Daps
I can't believe FDB failed at a (very good, but still) MLS team and moved into that job.

If your last three jobs went "fail at a top Italian team," "fail at a mid-table PL team," and "fail at a MLS team," how the fukk do you walk into the Netherlands job like that? Winning a bunch of Eredivisies at Ajax was a long time ago by this point.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I can't believe FDB failed at a (very good, but still) MLS team and moved into that job.

If your last three jobs went "fail at a top Italian team," "fail at a mid-table PL team," and "fail at a MLS team," how the fukk do you walk into the Netherlands job like that? Winning a bunch of Eredivisies at Ajax was a long time ago by this point.

Read this and you'll understand why.

The decline of Holland: how Dutch are doomed by total obsession with past | Priya Ramesh

Daps

I was reading a Jonathan Wilson book about how the Dutch basically believe in playing Total Football above all else, win or lose, and that they take it as a point of national pride to play "the right way" over winning. There was a bunch of stuff about how they were much more physical in the 2010 World Cup and even though they made it to the final, the papers and supporters shyt on the team for how they played.

So this article tracks with that book and leaves the idea that the Dutch are just trying to relive the Johan Cruyff 1970s more than anything else when it comes to football, and that they look to make hires of people who are somehow connected to Cruyff's managerial tree.

Thanks for the article; it was very good.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

MLS was not really a complete failure. That combined with people looking down on MLS kept him viable

Daps
MLS was not really a complete failure. That combined with people looking down on MLS kept him viable

They won a U.S. Cup and a Campeones Cup, but I don't think that overrides that FDB never figured out how to work Pity Martinez into that squad and kept trying to impose a style on them that they weren't very good at. I think the equivalent in England - winning an FA Cup and a Community Shield - would be considered a failure if the formerly championship-level squad were much worse while still having a highly-paid and talented group of players, even considering that Josef Martinez got hurt in the first game this season.

I did want to ask why people looking down on MLS would keep him viable, though. Wouldn't not being able to cut it in a lesser league make him less viable? I'm legit just wondering about your perspective on this.