Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps
@Jean toomer don't ever talk to me about self respect. Here is a Liverpool supporter making excuses for his club, that in 2019 gave a 1 minute applause for an ex-player who called his black teammates "white-n*****s"
Regarding the above, I find that response just as odious and distasteful - full stop.
The history of the Portuguese treatment of blacks in Africa and Europe is historical and well documented and is completely exemplified by his tweets and response. The man is a racist and as a black man you’re giving him the default escape of ignorance because he plays for your damn team which I find pitiable.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Regarding the above, I find that response just as odious and distasteful - full stop.
The history of the Portuguese treatment of blacks in Africa and Europe is historical and well documented and is completely exemplified by his tweets and response. The man is a racist and as a black man you’re giving him the default escape of ignorance because he plays for your damn team which I find pitiable.

Of course, you can throw around labels and dap fish to try make me look like a hypocrite.

But not knowing doesn't make you a racist, no matter how badly you want it to be to suit your narrative. Antoine Griezmann made a mistake, and it looks bad but he didnt know any better. Bernardo made a mistake, and it looks horrible but he didn't know.

Now contrast that to what John Terry and Luis Suarez did.

I'm not going to respond to you anymore because like I said you are more concerned with throwing around labels and dap fishing instead of actually looking at the facts. Bernardo is a racist and Mendy is his best friend, run with that as much as it you'd like.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
He needs a better squad to play well against Southampton, West Ham, Leicester and the EUFA pub team from this past week :ld: ?

Even Lampard has managed to impose a proactive playing style on his team with ZERO transfers. Same Brendon Rogers. Same Klopp. Same Pep. Same Poch. Same Peri @ West Ham.

All of these managers have come in and have quickly imposed a style on the team without "4+ transfer windows" as many are saying Ole needs.

Man Utd look like they are unable to actually do anything value-added and productive with the ball at their feet. They have no idea what they are supposed to be doing and that is on the Manager.

He is unable even to turn a slide around as shown with Cardiff and as he showed last year at Man Utd.
I'm not here saying Ole is doing the best with what he has because he isn't. But when I look at Leicester or West ham's lineup. I see better players on those lineups than united's so I don't know what to tell you. Most people including myself predicted he would finish outside the top 6 with this squad as is before a ball was kicked this season because it was obvious the squad is a very poor one. Midfield is atrocious. Attack is weak and pretty much depends on a young championship winger. Defence is ok. I'm really not sure what Pep or Klopp is doing with this squad except gutting it completely.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I'm not here saying Ole is doing the best with what he has because he isn't. But when I look at Leicester or West ham's lineup. I see better players on those lineups than united's so I don't know what to tell you. Most people including myself predicted he would finish outside the top 6 with this squad as is before a ball was kicked this season because it was obvious the squad is a very poor one. Midfield is atrocious. Attack is weak and pretty much depends on a young championship winger. Defence is ok. I'm really not sure what Pep or Klopp is doing with this squad except gutting it completely.

Liverpool's midfield was atrocious when he arrived and yet Klopp got his new team to a Europa League Final in his first season and to a league cup final.

Europa League Final 2016 line-ups.

600px-Liverpool_vs_Sevilla_2016-05-18.svg.png

He added Winaldum and (no one's pick for an amazing player) and got to a Champions League final in 2018.

600px-Real_Madrid_vs_Liverpool_2018-05-26.svg.png

Point being that it's hard to judge a team when the players are managed badly and a good manager can make players play better.

It's not just about Klopp and Pep anyway. I named many managers who are doing better with nominally worse players or more importantly who have imposed a pro-active style even though some of their players are not ready for it. Lampard for example.

MU have been in relegation form since he was appointed permanent manager with around 1.1 points per game. That PSG match was the last away win. No way is the squad that bad. There is no clear pattern of play.

You are somehow suggesting here that player performance (or lack thereof) is an objective assessment of how good they are in isolation but I do not agree. Wolves and Watford should demonstrate that there is more to performance than "how good a player is".

Ole is failing at the basics, which is as expected from a manager whose solitary EPL achievement was to get a team relegated..

The list of his mistakes is extensive and getting longer all the time. You have his inability to get the team to do complex things like pressing as a team or carving out opportunities and you have basics like his poor in-game management and his squad management. He is overplaying Rashford so surprise surprise he gets a stress injury. He keeps playing Mata and Matic in a team which he wants to press. He said he didnt want Lukaku, Fellaini when the team needs them. Some of the "rubbish" players that have left which Ole couldn't get to win against two relegated teams at the end of the season are now performing well for their new clubs. He puts young on set pieces... He had that penalty taker issue.. He got rid of Smalling when he was the most reliable+robust backup defender at the club. Note that Maguire's main weakness is a lack of speed. He keeps playing Pogba as a DLP.

The odd thing is the lengths to which people go to make excuses for him. The good thing is that there is no hiding. He is so ill-suited to the position that his performance is guaranteed to fall far shorter than that which could reasonably be expected from the squad.

Next three games ...

o6KOjQWl.png

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Liverpool's midfield was atrocious when he arrived and yet Klopp got his new team to a Europa League Final in his first season and to a league cup final.

Europa League Final 2016 line-ups.

600px-Liverpool_vs_Sevilla_2016-05-18.svg.png

He added Winaldum and (no one's pick for an amazing player) and got to a Champions League final in 2018.

600px-Real_Madrid_vs_Liverpool_2018-05-26.svg.png

Point being that it's hard to judge a team when the players are managed badly and a good manager can make players play better.

It's not just about Klopp and Pep anyway. I named many managers who are doing better with nominally worse players or more importantly who have imposed a pro-active style even though some of their players are not ready for it. Lampard for example.

MU have been in relegation form since he was appointed permanent manager with around 1.1 points per game. That PSG match was the last away win. No way is the squad that bad. There is no clear pattern of play.

You are somehow suggesting here that player performance (or lack thereof) is an objective assessment of how good they are in isolation but I do not agree. Wolves and Watford should demonstrate that there is more to performance than "how good a player is".

Ole is failing at the basics, which is as expected from a manager whose solitary EPL achievement was to get a team relegated..

The list of his mistakes is extensive and getting longer all the time. You have his inability to get the team to do complex things like pressing as a team or carving out opportunities and you have basics like his poor in-game management and his squad management. He is overplaying Rashford so surprise surprise he gets a stress injury. He keeps playing Mata and Matic in a team which he wants to press. He said he didnt want Lukaku, Fellaini when the team needs them. Some of the "rubbish" players that have left which Ole couldn't get to win against two relegated teams at the end of the season are now performing well for their new clubs. He puts young on set pieces... He had that penalty taker issue.. He got rid of Smalling when he was the most reliable+robust backup defender at the club. Note that Maguire's main weakness is a lack of speed. He keeps playing Pogba as a DLP.

The odd thing is the lengths to which people go to make excuses for him. The good thing is that there is no hiding. He is so ill-suited to the position that his performance is guaranteed to fall far shorter than that which could reasonably be expected from the squad.

Next three games ...

o6KOjQWl.png
I actually agree with most of this. I never said its Ole that will take us back to the top because that is laughable. I'm just suggesting the club stop treating symptoms and rather look into the root cause of the issue. Sacking Ole and appointing a better manager isn't going to get us challenging for titles if we don't get proper football leadership in place instead of Woodward because its a combination of a proper technical director and a top coach that will gut the squad properly. I maintain no one is doing anything with this squad as it currently is.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I actually agree with most of this. I never said its Ole that will take us back to the top because that is laughable. I'm just suggesting the club stop treating symptoms and rather look into the root cause of the issue. Sacking Ole and appointing a better manager isn't going to get us challenging for titles if we don't get proper football leadership in place instead of Woodward because its a combination of a proper technical director and a top coach that will gut the squad properly. I maintain no one is doing anything with this squad as it currently is.

Ole has the team performing at relegation levels. That is way below "doing anything", it is abject failure.

MU lost 8/12 matches towards the end of last season I think. Which player with options would come and play for a manager like that?

The longer this continues the more valuable brand capital is spent. Capital which took decades to acquire and capital which the club might NOT be able to win back any time soon.

The club can do both. Address and correct their Ole error and also address the other issues.

Mou reached an FA cup final, got 2nd in the EPL and won 2 or 3 cups with a team very close to the one Ole inherited. All without a DOF so ...

Those are solid achievements which are beyond Ole. Ole is not the right person to use as part of determining how good/bad the players are as Ole is incompetent (managerially speaking).

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Media scape goating caused fans to turn on Lukaku, a striker who scored 42 goals in 96 games. Thats not a bad strike record
That's really good in fact just that it looks ordinary in the Messi CR7 era, I was super surprised they let him go and also that they didn't go sniffing around Eriksen, team lacks the creativity he brings.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Until there is an emphasis placed on tekkers first, athleticism second, America aren't going any further then they have been before.
See I’d say the US needs to do the opposite. They are never going to have the skills of the elite countries. However they could build the most athletic team if they can start peeling kids away from football. You can build a great counter-attacking team. But that would take going away from a pay-to-play model.

The main issue with American soccer is that leadership handicapped the talent pool by making it upper-middle class sport.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I think OGS is doing a good job...

If only the next coach hired is actually proactive with their coaching, both tactically and improves the players as a whole, which wasn't really happening under Mourinho. Getting rid of most of the old furniture, the ones stealing wages and players just aren't at the level required. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day, so you cannot get rid of
giphy.gif
and some of the ones he did keep, was more for good mentors to guide the younger players. Also implementing the youth, which got sidetracked under Mourinho, when things looked to be promising under LVG.

Also Sir Red Nose was in a very similar situation as OGS is in now. He had a lot of deadwood and a big big drinking culture that thrived under Ron Atkinson and Red Nose decided to keep the captain and ship his drinking partners out. So United had alot of teething problems, those early days, all the while trying to get United back to what they were under Busby. Alot of fan favourites got sold and moved on even before Mark Robins goal saved his job.

OGS is gone at the end of the season, but whoever takes over on a permanent basis is going to have a clean slate and have a better understanding of what talent United need moving forward, because the squad doesn't have 457583 player to choose from, as it did last season. Someone had to do the genocide of the squad, because it was bloated with all Fergie, Moyes, LVG and Mourinho players, that is what OGS did. Also the failure of the financial genius not hire a DoF to do so.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
See I’d say the US needs to do the opposite. They are never going to have the skills of the elite countries. However they could build the most athletic team if they can start peeling kids away from football. You can build a great counter-attacking team. But that would take going away from a pay-to-play model.

The main issue with American soccer is that leadership handicapped the talent pool by making it upper-middle class sport.

How do you know, the Americans cannot have skills of elite countries, if they put more emphasis on tekkers first. That is such a defeatist mindset, you sure you ain't British with that outlook. Oh nah we cannot do a Cruyff turn, let's just continue to run hard, show determination and heart, all the while chasing shadows of 5'10 and below players, but because Team America PHUCK YEAH, are all 6+ and 175lbs can do the 40 in 4.2 and jump a 52 vertical, it's going to be alright.

America has been doing your way for decades and what for? To be beaten up by the smaller Mexicans who can ping it round them.

Tekkers over athleticism isnt just for football it is for all sports. Too much is made of how fast kids can run or how high they can jump and those physically imposing over the other kids are, because the other kids haven't physically matured yet. Athleticism can go just like that, whether it is a injury, not living right, being overloaded with games as a younger player. Having a team full of Theo Walcott's :scust: are you some sort of pervert.

Last edited: