• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
And with that said, while I'm loving how the "underdog" teams have been winning games unexpectedly...the truth is that a lot of these Euro teams/players are simply tired from having just left their league teams a week or two ago. That alone is going to have their federations fight to never have this November-scheduled WC ever happen again.

I disagree. Most of the players in Europe (and tbh, most of these players on African, SA and Asian nations play club football in Europe) are at mid-season fitness levels. If anything, they should be fresher since they aren't playing at the end of the season when their legs are tired. I actually think the quality of play has been sharper as a result. If the KOs produce more good, sharp football, I could honestly see another WC being held in the Nov/Dec time period.

This is where the weakness in domestic football in West Africa hurts. North Africans have quality local candidates who manage professional club teams ( see: Ragragui who won African CL last year) but no such equivalent yet in West Africa. Just need to hope potential candidates can develop over time or through club football exposure in Europe.

Yep. All of this. All of the big West and Central African clubs, Canon Yaounde, Union Douala, Eyimba, Asante Kotoko etc are old shells of themselves

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Crazy that Netherlands/USA might end up the match of the R16. The rest look somewhat straightforward with Brazil facing Korea and probably Switzerland against Portugal.

If USA beat Holland, Arg/USA might crack all sorts of viewership records.
full

The football Gods need to bless us tomorrow.

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Ayew brothers should never play for Ghana again. Terrible performance. Kudus is the real deal, needs a manager who can build around his talents, he's a potential match winner.

Got a feeling that Senegal gonna give England that work:demonic:

I've been watching football my whole life and World Cups since France 98, this is the best group stage I've ever seen, not even close:ehh:

The gap between the smaller teams and the heritage teams (I would say bigger but some of the most important football nations are actually small countries e.g Netherlands, Uruguay, Portugal) has closed. The smaller teams have lost that inferiority complex, the better teams can't just show up anymore they have to actually WORK for their wins. Japan, South Korea and Morocco might be a real problem in the coming decades. Japan are great as a team and very organized, they don't make mistakes. While South Korea have become technically excellent, great at passing and moving, can create consistent clear goal scoring chances.

USA has a bright future. Technically the best USA team I have seen not just athletic and organized as usual. I think they are one or two players away from being really good. Mexico are underachieving as a footballing nation, they already consistently produce quality players, however their coaches are way too cautious.

Last edited: