jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Germany giving other teams the blueprint on how to play spain

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
Individual quality yes but they're not beating prime Spain in a game.
Prime Spain lost its first game in 2010 and scored 8 goals in total. This current squad already has 7. I am not a fan of that team. They were good in their own weird way, but just didn't put teams away like some of the other WC winners

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
I don't watch a ton of soccer so I'm probably wrong, but there seems to be a lot of disallowed goals in this tournament. I can't even get excited when someone scores because there is like a 50% chance it's getting wiped out

I felt the same way about VAR at first, but I’ve come to appreciate the added f#ckery that it brings.

I can fully understand people that hate it though :manny:

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
They're not beating prime Costa Rica in a game if we're plucking them straight from their time period.
this is why calling Pele the goat is :gucci:
Teams back then didnt know how to defend and some of them were playing with 5 strikers and 2 defenders.
Today even amateur teams like San marino, malta and leichtenstein, know some basic defending. they're not getting battered 6-0 every game like they did 10-15 years ago.
PPl dont realise how much this game has evolved

Daps
Is it worth a buy? How does it compare to Michael Cox Zonal Marking if you read it?
It's worth a read. It does a very good job of charting tactical development across Europe and South America. It doubles as a history of football in general and an explanation of how the game went from a lot of kick-and-rush to what it is today.

It's a good companion to Zonal Marking, actually. I would tell someone who wanted to know more about football tactics to read both.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Teams back then didnt know how to defend and some of them were playing with 5 strikers and 2 defenders.
Today even amateur teams like San marino, malta and leichtenstein, know some basic defending. they're not getting battered 6-0 every game like they did 10-15 years ago.
Saw Pele do amazing things, then saw Maradona make those things look ordinary, then you get Zidane, Ronaldo all the way to Messi today

Piff Huxtable

Delaney 2020,2024,2028...
Daps
Prime Spain lost its first game in 2010 and scored 8 goals in total. This current squad already has 7. I am not a fan of that team. They were good in their own weird way, but just didn't put teams away like some of the other WC winners
plus they needed Robben choking to win it

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
Na Pele is special. There were some things he did that were unreal. Mbape is the only player that comes close right now but he isn't as good in the air or as good of a team player and passer.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Talking about Zonal Marking, I'm still furious that Cox nuked the website once he got on. Only way to read the analysis now is true Wayback Machine :mjcry: That website was what got me into tactics

Gilver

Really?
Daps
Reppin
NW, UK
I mean, if you go back in time and grab an 8 year old Pele and train him with modern tactics and develop him physically with the advancements we've made maybe he's still up there.

Swings n roundabouts innit.