The Official Feminist/Womanist/Women's Issues Thread :umad:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I'm just gonna fill this up with Buzzfeed videos for now because that's just the mood Im in. Feel free to post thoughts, comments, book suggestions, videos and articles.

There was also a thread in The Root, I'll link it when I find it.
Found It!

Let fukkery commence because you know some posters won't be able to resist it. :troll:

Serious questions:
What are your opinions on feminism/womanism? What are some issues you feel women face today?

Last edited:

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
Serious questions:
What are your opinions on feminism/womanism? What are some issues you feel women face today?

Great idea. Even though I already see it being derailed.

But, I agree with feminism/womanism, not because I feel like I have no rights or anything but because there are women in the world that don't have any rights. That are forced to do what men want them to do or they're killed or ridiculed. For some reason everyone thinks if you're a feminist/womanist you hate men when that isn't true, there are feminist that do hate men but that doesn't mean that all feminists do. Its really sad that wanting all women to be treated fairly and not be forced into living your life the way a man thinks you can live it is seen as a bad thing

To be a feminist you have to have tough skin because you will be hit with worst insults and attacks for no reason other than you want to be treated fairly. Just look at some of the guys on the coli, if you say youre a feminist they say you're fat, you're ugly, you hate men, you're bitter etc when a lot of the time that isn't true.

I don't know how women can say that feminism isn't needed when baby girls are being killed just because they're girls, when little girls are forced to marry old men, when women are being raped and blamed for it, when victims of sexual/physical abuse are told to keep it quiet to protect the man, when women are afraid to report rapes or harassment because they'll be insulted for it ,when women are being shamed for everything we want to do that doesn't include a "housewife" and a mother. It's really sad.

Last edited:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Great idea. Even though I already see it being derailed.

But, I agree with feminism/womanism, not because I feel like I have no rights or anything but because there are women in the world that don't have any rights. That are forced to do what men want them to do or they're killed or ridiculed. For some reason everyone thinks if you're a feminist/womanist you hate men when that isn't true, there are feminist that do hate men but that doesn't mean that all feminists do. Its really sad that wanting all women to be treated fairly and not be forced into living your life the way a an thinks you can live it.

To be a feminist you have to have tough skin because you will be hit with worst insults and attacks for no reason other than you want to be treated fairly. Just look at some of the guys on the coli, if you say youre a feminist they say you're fat, you're ugly, you hate men, you're bitter etc when a lot of the time that isn't true.

I don't know how women can say that feminism isn't needed when baby girls are being killed just because they're girls, when little girls are forced to marry old men, when women are being raped and blamed for it, when victims of sexual/physical abuse are told to keep it quite to protect the man, when women are afriad to report rapes or harassment because they'll insulted for it ,when women are being shamed for everything we want to do that doesn't include a "housewife" and a mother. It's really sad.
Great post! I think people lose focus on women's issues globally and just focus on the feminists in America. A lot of women's advocates do a lot of great work but it gets overshadowed by Feminist/Black Feminist/Womanist shaming. There are so many issues and viewpoints and arguments within the feminism. It's ignorant lump everyone together under one stereotype.

There is a feminist on YouTube whose name slips my mind, she receives so many death, rape and General threats all the time. I think she's the one where someone made a video game about punching her in the face. I'll post one of her vids in my next post.

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
What are the advantages of being a feminist/womanist or whatever other names these cacs have come up with?

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

Ashley Banks

Daps
What are the advantages of being a feminist/womanist or whatever other names these cacs have come up with?

I think the biggest advantage of being a feminist is not being limited to the "mother/wife" life. You realize that you have a choice, you don't have to be what men think you should because you're afraid you won't get married because you don't have to get married. Knowing that you can be whatever you want to be, I think that is the most freeing thing ever.

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I think the biggest advantage of being a feminist is not being limited to the "mother/wife" life. You realize that you have a choice, you don't have to be what men think you should because you're afraid you won't get married because you don't have to get married. Knowing that you can be whatever you want to be, I think that is the most freeing thing ever.

Whats wrong with being a mother/wife? What other "choice" would you be free to have? :mjpls:

When there's a lack of mothers/wives, then you have whores and out of wedlock births,absent fathers in children's lives, due to lack of a family structure and care for one.

Last edited:

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Cacs didn't come up with womanist, womanism came in response to the exclusion of issues relating to women of color from feminist groups.

What issues were you excluded from that are more important than the Black family unit/structure? Wouldn't being a woman make that the most important issue?

• Dap

Ashley Banks

Daps
Whats wrong with being a mother/wife? What other "choice" would you be free to have? :mjpls:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a mother/wife but not all women want that and they shouldn't be shamed and belittled for wanting something else.

For the second question, I'm not sure what you mean.

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a mother/wife but not all women want that and they shouldn't be shamed and belittled for wanting something else.

For the second question, I'm not sure what you mean.

Its not shaming, its a question as to what is it that you are now "primed" to do, if you're not a mother/wife.........

Second question is in line with the first.....what is the end goal for this feminist/womanist movement........it looks as if the end goal that we've encountered in our communities are broken families, while this movement to want "something else" continues......

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
There's nothing wrong with being a mother/wife. Some women want more than that (a career or perhaps something else), and they want the freedom to do it in peace.
I think they do most times have the freedom to do that. I know somebody will post some stats or something but in regular life who's like a chick can't be anything she wants to be? Nobody its just pros and cons with some decisions and people like to bytch when they don't get all the pros with none of,the cons. Life don't work,like that for most.

• Dap

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Its not shaming, its a question as to what is it that you are now "primed" to do, if you're not a mother/wife.........

Second question is in line with the first.....what is the end goal for this feminist/womanist movement........it looks as if the end goal that we've encountered in our communities are broken families, while this movement to want "something else" continues......
The only thing I really see hear about feminism is social media stuff and honestly its moreso about something sexual most times.

• Dap