The Official Fargo on FX Thread

Daps
your taking it from when Gus spotted him, but Gus knew his family was in danger prior to that, hence the phone call to Molly before he spots Malvo, then Gus seeing the Wolf kinda made something click, I think many fathers may or could easily be depicted as "magically growing balls" in such circumstances (along with his previous experiences with Malvo).

but is cool breh its all open to interpretation, This is just my humble opinion.

Like I said, too fairy tale-ish for me, and the writer reiterated my concern as something grappled with. :yeshrug:

Also the basement thing you seem to struggle with, with Malvo's ability in "tight" situations (to say the least) why is it such a reach for him to get out of the basement, did you see the other shyt Malvo pulled off in the 10eps?

I didn't say it was a reach, I'm asking how he got out. .. do you know? Do they ever show/explain it?

That's like them showing the police picking him up in Duluth, and then just showing him freed a few hours later. Without showing how he weaseled out of that situation it's completely understandable for the viewer to question it.

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
Like I said, too fairy tale-ish for me, and the writer reiterated my concern as something grappled with. :yeshrug:

I didn't say it was a reach, I'm asking how he got out. .. do you know? Do they ever show it?

That's like them showing the police picking him up in Duluth, and then just showing him freed a few hours later. Without showing how he weaseled out of that situation it's completely understandable for the viewer to question it.

aid, too fairy tale-ish for me, and the writer reiterated my concern as something grappled with. :yeshrug:

I didn't say it was a reach, I'm asking how he got out. .. do you know? Do they ever show it?

That's like them showing the police picking him up in Duluth, and then just showing him freed a few hours later. Without showing how he weaseled out of that situation it's completely understandable for the viewer to question it.[/QUOTE]

nah I dont know. But I dont know how Malvo pulled off alotta shyt they never showed, but them showing how capable he was kinda "allowed" me to think he had an unerring ability to get out of near enough any situation.

Plus it adds to mystique of one TV's best ever characters.

again, just my humble.

Daps
nah I dont know. But I dont know how Malvo pulled off alotta shyt they never showed, but them showing how capable he was kinda "allowed" me to think he had an unerring ability to get out of near enough any situation.

Plus it adds to mystique of one TV's best ever characters.

again, just my humble.

Like what?

The only other thing I can kinda think of is the taking out of the entire Fargo syndicate. But that just means he's a substantially better shot than those guys and they had poor protection protocols. How ever unlikely, it's easy to see how he could pull that off.

That's nothing like getting out of a locked basement.

The Blind Man

Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
Like what?

The only other thing I can kinda think of is the taking out of the entire Fargo syndicate. But that just means he's a substantially better shot than those guys and they had poor protection protocols. How ever unlikely, it's easy to see how he could pull that off.

I mentioned the mystique of the character.

The writer reiterated that in the article

they created a character "who could get out of locked room"

there is mystery involved....

its how they wanted it
:yeshrug:

Daps
I mentioned the mystique of the character.

The writer reiterated that in the article

they created a character "who could get out of locked room"

there is mystery involved....

its how they wanted it
:yeshrug:

The writer is talking about Malvo getting out of the Duluth lockup:

For me, the question is, he shoots Malvo when he's sitting there injured and unarmed. Is it an act of bravery or an act of cowardice? It's not for me to make that choice, but I do feel like Gus has seen what Malvo is capable of and how he can seem to escape from a locked room, and knows that the only way this will ever end is if Malvo ends.

Gus didn't see Malvo get out the basement, he saw him get out of the police station...and the showed the viewer how Malvo was able to pull that off.

The only thing (that I can think of) that they didn't show/explain was how Malvo got out of that basement.

The Blind Man

Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
The only thing (that I can think of) that they didn't show/explain was how Malvo got out of that basement.

Sorry breh I'm not saying I know, or that they explained...

on some "what happened to the russian in the woods" shyt

for me it added to the mystique.

The creators didnt show how Malvo became so good at his "job" shooting/blackmailing/master of disguise just that he was.

Enough for me, but im bias this was one of the best things ive seen on TV.

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
You talked before about the idea of Malvo as a man who can vanish out of a locked room. As you were writing the series, did you decide at a certain point that you were just going to treat him as a supernatural person, or did you have to say at every scenario, "How could a person actually do this?"

Noah Hawley: I'm a firm believer that when you make a Coen brothers movie, you have to accept the mystery. I had a number of discussions with the folks at MGM who kept asking, "How did he get out of that basement? Don't we have to show an open window or something?" And I said, "No, I don't know how he got out of that basement. You just have to accept the mystery." It was Billy's idea that Gus shoots him and he appears to be dead and then he sits up with that amazing grimace and smile with the bloody teeth. That was Billy's desire to do it that way, and I find it so chilling, and for a moment, you ask, "Is this guy really human or what?" And, of course, he is in the end. But there is that elemental figure who runs through the Coens' work from the lone biker of the apocalypse, to Anton Chigurh to even Peter Stormare. There is always this sense of a wild and elemental force. The Coens, in a lot of their movies, are making horror movies. There is a similar tension, and even morality, this idea that if you transgress, you will be punished, which is very much a horror movie mentality.

Daps
You talked before about the idea of Malvo as a man who can vanish out of a locked room. As you were writing the series, did you decide at a certain point that you were just going to treat him as a supernatural person, or did you have to say at every scenario, "How could a person actually do this?"

Noah Hawley: I'm a firm believer that when you make a Coen brothers movie, you have to accept the mystery. I had a number of discussions with the folks at MGM who kept asking, "How did he get out of that basement? Don't we have to show an open window or something?" And I said, "No, I don't know how he got out of that basement. You just have to accept the mystery." It was Billy's idea that Gus shoots him and he appears to be dead and then he sits up with that amazing grimace and smile with the bloody teeth. That was Billy's desire to do it that way, and I find it so chilling, and for a moment, you ask, "Is this guy really human or what?" And, of course, he is in the end. But there is that elemental figure who runs through the Coens' work from the lone biker of the apocalypse, to Anton Chigurh to even Peter Stormare. There is always this sense of a wild and elemental force. The Coens, in a lot of their movies, are making horror movies. There is a similar tension, and even morality, this idea that if you transgress, you will be punished, which is very much a horror movie mentality.

:snoop:

I just realized there were multiple pages to that article. :snoop:

I almost thought Malvo was gonna come back alive after being shot too, cuz they hadn't addressed that basement exit, and i thought I was right until Gus put two in his head.

What movie is that from where they say "two in the head, you know he's dead" ?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Like what?

The murder scene in Vegas.

He killed 3 people, moved the bodies and cleaned up the elevator without anybody witnessing it.

Daps
The murder scene in Vegas.

He killed 3 people, moved the bodies and cleaned up the elevator without anybody witnessing it.

:dwillhuh:

There's nothing supernatural about that. Implausible, but he clearly gets off on a service floor that's vacant. Malvo dealing with the bodies gives Lester the time he needs to escape.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:dwillhuh:

There's nothing supernatural about that. Implausible, but he clearly gets off on a service floor that's vacant. Malvo dealing with the bodies gives Lester the time he needs to escape.
I mean, is it not just as far fetched though?

What's more of a reach? Him killing 3 people in a public elevator in Vegas (where people are on them all times of day), cleaning up the scene, and disappearing without getting seen, without surveillance spotting him dragging bodies or him getting out of the basement?

It's obvious that there was a way out the basement or else he wouldn't of gotten out right?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Was this supposed to answer or address my question about Malvo getting out of the basement? If so, I must've missed it.

It does address Gus killing Malvo, tho, and it looks like the writers had the same reservations that I'm expressing with that. He expected the audience to forget Gus went into the cabin, I did not forget, so I wasn't surprised to see him appear, I was waiting on it. :yeshrug:
Do you read articles or do you skim thru em breh? Its a 3 page interview. Its on pg 2

Daps
I mean, is it not just as far fetched though?

What's more of a reach? Him killing 3 people in a public elevator in Vegas (where people are on them all times of day), cleaning up the scene, and disappearing without getting seen, without surveillance spotting him dragging bodies or him getting out of the basement?

It's obvious that there was a way out the basement or else he wouldn't of gotten out right?

Dog the floor was vacant, with mad supplies. It being vacant may be far fetched, but it was, so, no, it wasn't that big of a reach that he was able to get the bodies cleaned up.

In fact, did he get the bodies cleaned up and dispose of them? LVPD was trying to question Lester as soon as he got home that day. They must've found those bodies.

Lester sneaking back into the hospital was probably the most farfetched thing on the show, imo.

It's not even about it being farfetched, it's about them not showing how he could've gotten out. Like the writer said, MGM wanted to show a window or something, but they chose to leave that as "mystery" and I can't think of any other point which they did that.