Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
All of them but Kamala's.

Really, Marvel should stop bullshytting and just name new books "The Incredible Tax Write Off" "The All New Tax Write Off" "The Unstoppable Tax Write Off" etc etc
Moon Girl won't be cancelled either. Although I am not a fan of her being the editorially appointed smartest person on earth, her book is pretty cool and they are pushing her in all events.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Kamala also sells poorly tbf
Kamala is interesting b/c she came out the gate (imo) with Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur level expectations (but without any scholastic-based novelties).. Meaning everyone figured she'd be on that 10-15k a month cancellation numbers by the end of the first arc or two.

So the fact that Kamala was selling in the mid-high 20ks had people gassing her up as a rookie of the year, myself included. Which i feel was fair at the time. She was in that category where her success was judged based on overcoming the bottom barrel expectations for a woc Muslim finding an audience.

But at some point, that novelty wears off (i think) and you start getting judged relative to your peers. Tho to that point, Gwen and Jane are her superiors but she does maintain that 25-30k range well, which will keep her above a lot of marvel solo characters, male and female.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
None of the new characters have arch enemies. shyts lazy as fukk.
Talkin about ms marvel?

In general i do feel it kinda stagnated. i started her current solo run last year and it wasn't a bad read, quite the opposite, but i got bored tbh.

I didnt really care about autistic clone kamalas or school science project competitions. but i get that i wasnt/am not the target audience for her stories

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Kamala is interesting b/c she came out the gate (imo) with Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur level expectations (but without any scholastic-based novelties).. Meaning everyone figured she'd be on that 10-15k a month cancellation numbers by the end of the first arc or two.

So the fact that Kamala was selling in the mid-high 20ks had people gassing her up as a rookie of the year, myself included. Which i feel was fair at the time. She was in that category where her success was judged based on overcoming the bottom barrel expectations for a woc Muslim finding an audience.

But at some point, that novelty wears off (i think) and you start getting judged relative to your peers. Tho to that point, Gwen and Jane are her superiors but she does maintain that 25-30k range well, which will keep her above a lot of marvel solo characters, male and female.
Hold up, Ms Marvel came out before Moon Girl. In fact, all these indie chick books Marvel stays dropping are all trying to cash in on that Kamala Khan wave.

Besides, I think I read that Ms Marvel sells well in trades, not necessarily in single issues. Kind of like how The Walking Dead before the TV show made 90% of its money of trades because many of its readers weren't typical comic book readers going to a comic book store every week to pick up a new issue. Since those sales are barely reported it is hard to tell how viable some books really are.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Can't expect "new characters" to get new arch enemies like that. I've said this many times..

indie has become very viable over the last 17yrs... so best to save your best ideas for creator owned stuff.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Hold up, Ms Marvel came out before Moon Girl. In fact, all these indie chick books Marvel stays dropping are all trying to cash in on that Kamala Khan wave.

Besides, I think I read that Ms Marvel sells well in trades, not necessarily in single issues. Kind of like how The Walking Dead before the TV show made 90% of its money of trades because many of its readers weren't typical comic book readers going to a comic book store every week to pick up a new issue. Since those sales are barely reported it is hard to tell how viable some books really are.

You got me confused breh. I'm sayin the expectation of Ms Marvel succeeding (sales wise) was on par with what people felt Moongirl would do as far as numbers, but Ms Marvel wouldn't have had the excuse of "oh but it does well scholastically" to offset any Nighthawk level sales figures. But i'm sayin she didn't need that nor does she even need the tpb excuse because 25-30k sales a month is respectable to stand on its own, regardless of whatever hidden sales.

I know Moon Girl just came out a few months back :pachaha:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You got me confused breh. I'm sayin the expectation of Ms Marvel succeeding (sales wise) was on par with what people felt Moongirl would do as far as numbers, but Ms Marvel wouldn't have had the excuse of "oh but it does well scholastically" to offset any Nighthawk level sales figures. But i'm sayin she didn't need that nor does she even need the tpb excuse because 25-30k sales a month is respectable to stand on its own, regardless of whatever hidden sales.

I know Moon Girl just came out a few months back :pachaha:
Ah, my bad.