Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I havent even read any of these shyts from yesterday yet smh

Me and my son been taking turns wreckin muthafukkas in that Contest of Champions shyt on my phone

shyt is addictive than a mug!!!

Magneto (Marvel Now) :blessed:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I knew Nighthawk was going to have a short existence but I figured it would get to 12 issues at least.
Its a shame too because Walker has been delivering some excellent work in the cases of Shaft and Nighthawk yet no one read either of those books.
And I have to be the bearer of bad tidings for the brother but that Occupy Avengers book isn't going to be a big seller either.
Walker would need to be handed the writing assignment on one of the major Avengers team or solo character books in order to get the recognition as an "A-list writer" before any of his niche stuff will ever take off sales wise.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Carol's got military experience and the book makes it very clear her position in the team is very much political as she's the liaison to the government organization they answer to.:manny:

You can downplay that fact just as Marvel has done often enough in the years long before this character push when she was treated as a second rate Avenger despite having more credentials to lead a team than favored characters but outside of T'Challa she's the only one on the team properly trained for the job. Plus let's not ignore that Blue Marvel actually takes point on all of their missions since he's the Reed Richards of the team and by all means the field leader.

Also, since you think they've accomplished so much more than Carol, name me three stories of note that America Chavez and Monica Rambeau played huge roles in, and I'm not talking about some shyt they just happened to headline, I'm talking actual stories that mattered and are remembered as great. :sas2:

See, it's kinda easy to go like 'Oh, black character this, white character so' but the truth is that if Rambeau and Chavez weren't minorities you probably wouldn't give a single fukk about them or anything they have ever done. And that's because when push comes to shove, they really are very similar to Carol in the sense that they are characters with a ton of potential that no writer has ever really managed to tap into properly.
Monica Rambeau led the Avengers in the first X-Men vs Avengers crossover mini-series and during the Assault on Olympus story arc and she was a major part of how The Avengers were able to re-take the mansion after The Masters of Evil had taken it over. Then Roger Stern left the book and Monica got shafted almost immediately.

You are right about the characters having tons of potential that doesn't get explored properly. Carol has been getting the superstar treatment for the past couple years but lets not forget that right before Marvel decided she would be their Wonder Woman that she was a drunken mess who had zero confidence and was almost kicked off the Avengers for being a loser. All it would take is for Marvel to decide to make Monica (or America) a top tier character and she'd be given that treatment too.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I wish John Ostrander was given the main Suicide Squad book because reading the Suicide Squad Special: War Crimes book was what I expect from a Squad comic. It was bit truncated since he only had one issue to tell his story but it all was vintage Suicide Squad.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Monica Rambeau led the Avengers in the first X-Men vs Avengers crossover mini-series and during the Assault on Olympus story arc and she was a major part of how The Avengers were able to re-take the mansion after The Masters of Evil had taken it over. Then Roger Stern left the book and Monica got shafted almost immediately.

You are right about the characters having tons of potential that doesn't get explored properly. Carol has been getting the superstar treatment for the past couple years but lets not forget that right before Marvel decided she would be their Wonder Woman that she was a drunken mess who had zero confidence and was almost kicked off the Avengers for being a loser. All it would take is for Marvel to decide to make Monica (or America) a top tier character and she'd be given that treatment too.

Are there many writers that like Monica, though...and want to give her more? Enough to make her more than a sidekick..and there's nothing wrong with being a sidekick. The last major thing she was in was Divas with other fringe appearance characters and that BS mini was what...4? Personally, I think she should take command of A-Force, kicking Carol to the curb....Spectrum, Dazzler, She-Hulk, Nico, Medusa, Singularity...and let that be their thing.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I think Misty Knight is about to get a bigger push in these upcoming months than Monica has had in a decade... or two (or three?) just off the strength of the Luke Cage show and the response the actress got at comic con.

Monica is a cool concept and tbh they could've gone either way with her or Carol and been straight... b/c its not like mainstream audiences know or give a shyt about either of em, hell even within comics nobody gives a shyt either, as far as sales... but end of the day they chose Carol, and Monica will likely be the black friend in the film while remaining stuck in molasses (with Storm) in the comic book world watching Misty and Riri take center stage with the big marketing push coming their way.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Lowkey, i'm happy for Sam Wilson Falcon

As of last month he is on issue 11 of his book and selling 29,145k

That's more than:
  • New Avengers (28,603)
  • Ms Marvel (28,313)
  • Ultimates (27,588)
  • Totally Awesome Hulk (26,936)
  • Black Widow (25,801)
  • A-Force (23,939)
  • Captain Marvel (23,895)
  • Squadron Supreme (23,692)
Makes me wonder how he could or would be doing without that Cap-moniker tho, or whether he still needs it :patrice:

They made him cool as hell in the CA:CW flick with all the gadgets and redwing drone, as just the Falcon.