Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In case you haven't noticed, genre comics have populated the comic racks again, especially ones with the Image logo in the corner, like East of West, Rat Queens, Revival, The Walking Dead, Fatale and many more. Image Comics held a panel at Comic-Con to discuss the resurgence of genre comics and on the panel were Ron Marz, Kurtis J. Wiebe, Mike Norton, Tim Seeley, Frank Barbiere, John Layman, Ed Brubaker, and Ron Richards moderated and asked them questions about their own books, adding something unique to genre comics, understanding what genres stick with audiences, and how much they absorb what's already been done.

fatale14.jpg

CREDIT: Image Comics
View full size image
Richards opened up the panel by asking why there's been a recent comeback in genre comics, a phenomena that hasn't happened since the 1940s and 1950s. "Comics have been dominated by superhero comics but I think the bubble burst on it awhile ago." Seeley said. "They do an event, then they kill a guy, then bring him back, if you've been around comics for awhile, you start to recognize the patterns."

Seeley believes that part of the surge could be the effort by individual creators who have build a following amongst fans and retailers and are stepping out to do genre stories with their own sensibilities; readers are excited by the various takes.

Marz thinks the allure is two-fold. "As superhero comics have become more corporate and editorially controlled, we want to do other things, we want to have other outlets for what we do. Frankly, it's kinda cool to make shyt up and you don't much of a chance to do that at Marvel or DC anymore. You're playing with their toys. Exploring different genres is the way we can play with the toys we make up ourselves. The fact that you guys are embracing this stuff, in shops and digitally, instead of blindly gobbling whatever event whatever event the big two are putting in front of you allows us to do this."

There are challenges along the way, like pitching a book concisely and trying to market the book so it has the best chance of survival at the start. Also evaluating the book to see if it's touching a nerve is a challenge and that's where reader feedback and social networking is becoming more helpful.

revival3_02.jpg

But the most important task is establishing a visual look is what has helped the panelists get their books on track. "In a comic, the look of the art is the biggest thing." Brubaker declared. "This is what it will feel like. In Marvel sometimes you're writing for one artist and another steps in and it's a disaster."

Norton's art on Revival has set it apart from other horror books that are full of black space and distressed visuals. "I think that's what makes our book a scary book because they don't see the usual visual cues," Norton said. "If you're doing a war story, I think you need to be able to set the atmosphere. Not being the typical Bernie Wrightson artists helped us."

On the writing side of things, Seeley explained that the genre tropes are developed by multiple people, movies and television shows. "Once they're there, the best part is subverting the tropes." While other genres, like Wiebe's World War Peter Panzerfaust, research is important to sell the reader, "I'm trying to keep it historically accurate so I have timelines for each character. It doesn't always show up in the story, but it supports the rest of the story."

Brubaker does a mixture of reading and watching movies for his research. "When I do period stuff, I always watch movies from that era, which is fake anyway, then you watch movies 20 years later that are about that same era and they're more accurate. I read a lot of non-fiction about whatever the subject matter is. Currently I've been reading spy novels from the 60s and 70s and books about the cold war." At the end of the day though, Brubaker said that he's writing fiction, not fact.

That felt like too much work for Layman who admitted that the only research he does for Chew is looking up Greek and Latin root words for the names of the different powers, which was basically one long hard day of work. Different comics call for different measures but Marz said that "the veneer of truth is more important than getting every detail right."

Saga-11-cover.jpg

One genre currently under-represented was romance comics. Everyone on the panel except Layman agreed that they'd like a greater presence, some even wanted to try and tackle that genre some day. "Saga's a romance comic," said Brubaker. "But it's considered sci-fi. Fatale's a romance comic, except everyone who she falls in love with dies." At the rate that genres are being covered, someone will come up with a great romance comic before too long. The panel said they'd be interested in covering westerns too and then teen sex comedies came up but Brubaker said that Sex Criminals is part crime comic, existential time travel story and teen sex comedy all in one.

Marz made a wonderful analogy that drove home the theme of the panel, that there are so many stories to tell and read. "There are artists and writers who got into this business to do superheroes, and are doing superheroes and that's cool. There will be plenty of intellectual properties that mega-corporations will want you to prop up for them. I don't mean anyone specific. I love pizza, but I don't want to eat it three meals a day, seven days a week. I just don't want to keep doing the same thing. I would love to do anything that comes down the pipe or any idea that occurs to me. I want a smorgasbord, not just pepperoni and cheese."

for lovers of Archie.You know who you are lol
[QUOTE
Earlier this summer, Archie Comics Co-CEO Jon Goldwater spoke with CBR about all things Archie, covering the publisher's plans for the coming year, from the in-development live-action film to digital comics to undead Riverdale residents and more. During the course of the conversation, Goldwater let slip word of a second, Archie-starring animated series in the works alongside the previously announced "Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch" cartoon.

"'Sabrina' debuts this fall in animation on The Hub. I think it's coming in late September. And there will be Archie animation coming, as well as the 'Archie' movie," Goldwater told CBR. "We haven't announced the Archie animation yet, so maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but it is coming, so what the heck. I just said it! [Laughter]"

Today, Animation Magazine brought the first details about the upcoming cartoon to light. The new series, co-developed by Archie and Moonscoop LLC, stars twelve-year-old versions of Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica and the rest of the Riverdale gang. The series, which does not yet have a network distribution deal, follows the kids' junior high adventures in dating, peer pressure and homework while they deal with mad scientists, monsters, pirates and more.

][/QUOTE]

WhatsGoodTy

Ya feel me
Daps
I really love The Superior Spider-Man, but the latest issue was ehhhh. I need to get into some other comics though.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Mark Miller says he could see 5-10 more movies coming from Fox on the X-Men and there is no talks on a crossover with Disney...want to set up up their own movie continuity.
It would appear that Fox was very lucky when they bought the rights to the X-Men franchise. With Marvel strapped for cash back in the 90's, little did they know the goldmine they were sitting on. Now Fox has the opportunity to turn the X-Men franchise into it's own "Avengers-like" universe with multiple spinoff movies.

Source: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mark...vel-properties

Article: Forget those crossover dreams between Disney and Fox; Mark Millar has plans for the X-MEN and related characters that should set up the studio for the long haul. With THE WOLVERINE doing well globally, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST poised to clean up at the box office, and an X-FORCE movie on the horizon, Fox doesn't appear to need the crutch of capitalizing on the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In fact, Millar sees big potential for their own movie continuity.

In an interview with Collider, Millar explained there are no plans to make any AVENGERS-like films to bring together disparate superheroes any time soon:

“We're not talking crossovers or anything just yet; the idea is to build it quietly in its own way and bring in the best possible talent but you're right - Marvel sold the X-Men franchises back in the '90s when they needed the cash but you have to remember they were the crown jewels...

The reason they got snapped up is that they were Marvel's best-selling book really for 20 years. So we're sitting on gold right now. Very vaguely, we are talking about lots of possibilities but I think there's a good five to ten golden franchises in there.”

Squirtle

Supreme Chancellor
Daps
Reppin
New York
Them cats on CBR think Superman is tha mole.

They figure that Ultraman replaced Superman at some point in tha last year and is causing all this chaos to set off tha "Trinity War" and usher in "Forever Evil".

I can't wait 2 see exactly "what" The Outsider" is "bringing into our world".
Genius, is that why Supermans chess piece was missing?

JackM

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Genius, is that why Supermans chess piece was missing?

Yuuuup!

Man i'm real anxious about The Outsider's actual plan and what he has in store that can kill tha most powerful heroes on Earth AND allow him 2 rule tha world.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I really love The Superior Spider-Man, but the latest issue was ehhhh. I need to get into some other comics though.
:dwillhuh:
dude goes into kingpins house and takes him out that was ehhhhh
that was the gulliest spiderman has been since aunt may was shot.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
:leon: cyclops called someone an uncle tom in uncanny xmen....had them feeling that ether and questioning life decisions/

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
If yo don't throw up off the end of What if A v X 4, you're not a real comic fan. It was DISGUSTING. Magneto has them all beat in the end with the Phoenix power. Kills Cap and Iron Man in one panel. Incinerates Psylocke for the hell of it. Kills them all. SOMEHOW..Xavier can telepathically stop Magneto from moving or using his power, something along those lines, Wolverine has Hulk throw him into Magneto and he stabs him in the eyes...keep in mine that Magneto has the Phoenix Power at his disposal..Thor's hammer, Surfer's most powerful blast, and the Dr. Strange's greatest spell wouldn't even make him itch yet WOLVERINE' and his claws is gonna do damage and kill:laugh::laugh: Then it gets REAL gay...Jean magically appears in her White Phoenix thing and they look at the burned earth and talk about starting the world over with them playing Adam and Eve on this magical untouched, unburned green pasture....hahahahahaha...

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
If yo don't throw up off the end of What if A v X 4, you're not a real comic fan. It was DISGUSTING. Magneto has them all beat in the end with the Phoenix power. Kills Cap and Iron Man in one panel. Incinerates Psylocke for the hell of it. Kills them all. SOMEHOW..Xavier can telepathically stop Magneto from moving or using his power, something along those lines, Wolverine has Hulk throw him into Magneto and he stabs him in the eyes...keep in mine that Magneto has the Phoenix Power at his disposal..Thor's hammer, Surfer's most powerful blast, and the Dr. Strange's greatest spell wouldn't even make him itch yet WOLVERINE' and his claws is gonna do damage and kill:laugh::laugh: Then it gets REAL gay...Jean magically appears in her White Phoenix thing and they look at the burned earth and talk about starting the world over with them playing Adam and Eve on this magical untouched, unburned green pasture....hahahahahaha...

i don't think wolverine really killed him but caused him to be overcome by the phoniex. If you think about they everyone still died anyway so the phoneix force really won. And so did Wolverine or adam.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Nah...Way too silly. Distracted or not, he got slapped around by Namor in #2 but he was able to stop Phoenix Magneto enough for things to change. No way. It's like Robin stopping Superman or Hawkeye stopping Thanos. Ridiculous.