Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Avengers #51 was dope

One thing with Aaron's Avengers run is while he's very hit/miss with the actual story arcs... i.e. Vamps, Moon Knight, Squadron Supreme arcs were good to great, whereas She-Hulk, Celestials, 1000BC Avengers, Phoenix Tourney were meh... he does introduce some pretty cool teamups and amalgam concepts (she-hulk aside). I like these Masters of Evil / Death Hunters crew.

Mostly because these 4-5 pages of Killmonger was the best Killmonger we've had since Priest had him throw T'Challa off a cliff 22 years ago...

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I told ya'll Leah Williams ain't got it. She just wanted to get her misandry off..Either that or editorial mandate went down hill.

I started reading X-Factor because of Rachel and it was a text filled mess. Between that and X-Force, those 2 writers shouldn't be getting a book next year, alas, they are.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yeah DC is a mess. They can never decide on an solid universe structure
I’m getting Final Crisis vibes. Everything about that event and the lead up (Countdown, Death of New Gods, Mister Miracle S7 series) was a jumbo mess too.

I didn’t read it as it happened, but I’ve collected everything later. It just made no sense to me. One day I’ll revisit everything in order.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
You didn't like the Killmonger mini?

That new Masters of Evil is tough though.
I thought they botched it horribly tbh.

Instead of a bad ass origin setting him up as a cerebral master manipulator, S-class h2h fighter and killer in the larger MU worthy of the name “Killmonger”... they made him a petty low level lackey throughout. Then time skipped to him suddenly becoming a badass, with no feats.

Basically they did the opposite of what the What-If? MCU show did in establishing him.

Put another way, the reason why Spider-Man’s trash ass villain concepts (like a short old fat man wearing a four arm harness) are iconic, whereas BP’s dope villain concepts (Killmonger, Baron Macabre, etc) are still stuck in the 1970s time loop, is because comic writers are like WWE writers with the characters they prefer to push.

It’s why I give Aaron some leeway even with his hits/miss ratio, because he writes BP, Nighthawk, and now Killmonger like main eventers

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I’m getting Final Crisis vibes. Everything about that event and the lead up (Countdown, Death of New Gods, Mister Miracle S7 series) was a jumbo mess too.

I didn’t read it as it happened, but I’ve collected everything later. It just made no sense to me. One day I’ll revisit everything in order.
Grant Morrison is for lack of a better word insane and it bleeds through in the writing. That's all I can gather. This is probably leading to another Morrison event.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I thought they botched it horribly tbh.

Instead of a bad ass origin setting him up as a cerebral master manipulator, S-class h2h fighter and killer in the larger MU worthy of the name “Killmonger”... they made him a petty low level lackey throughout. Then time skipped to him suddenly becoming a badass, with no feats.

Basically they did the opposite of what the What-If? MCU show did in establishing him.

Put another way, the reason why Spider-Man’s trash ass villain concepts (like a short old fat man wearing a four arm harness) are iconic, whereas BP’s dope villain concepts (Killmonger, Baron Macabre, etc) are still stuck in the 1970s time loop, is because comic writers are like WWE writers with the characters they prefer to push.

It’s why I give Aaron some leeway even with his hits/miss ratio, because he writes BP, Nighthawk, and now Killmonger like main eventers
Yeah Aaron always seemed to be a fair writer. I also don't think a lot of people want to write BP as superhero so much as they want to write him as a king when he can kinda be both. Take Solomon Prey for example, he wanted to fight BP cause he's the Panther but it didn't negate his kingship, I think they've lost the idea that one can have both personal villains and threats to the empire and neither take away from T'challa as a character.