Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Batman and Catmwoman was weird.
Would it kill King to just write a linear story once in a while. All this hopping al over the timeline with breaks for Batman and Catwoman to bone on a rooftop was silly.

Batman was trash. Why do they keep brining out new people in his past? This doesn't make his more appealing.
I've been enjoying the Ghostmaker stuff. I like the idea that there was someone else on the same journey to become a vigilante as Bruce Wayne was only this person isn't doing it for some revenge fantasy over his parents being killed but just because he is an egomaniac who likes killing people. I'm pretty sure the ending of this will be the revelation that Ghostmaker is as big a lunatic as any of Batman's villains but he just has an oversized ego that forces him to cosplay as a "hero" when he really just wants to be the bad guy.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Would it kill King to just write a linear story once in a while. All this hopping al over the timeline with breaks for Batman and Catwoman to bone on a rooftop was silly.

I've been enjoying the Ghostmaker stuff. I like the idea that there was someone else on the same journey to become a vigilante as Bruce Wayne was only this person isn't doing it for some revenge fantasy over his parents being killed but just because he is an egomaniac who likes killing people. I'm pretty sure the ending of this will be the revelation that Ghostmaker is as big a lunatic as any of Batman's villains but he just has an oversized ego that forces him to cosplay as a "hero" when he really just wants to be the bad guy.
Thats my issue. We know how this ends. We've seen it before. Remember Batman year 2?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Thats my issue. We know how this ends. We've seen it before. Remember Batman year 2?
Yeah but Year 2 was a vigilante that wasn't necessarily laser focused on Batman and ostensibly the main thrust of Year 2 was to show a neophyte Batman that "the way of the gun" wasn't for him.

This one is more a combo of a shattered friendship between two mentally ill people with one of them being a functional maniac while the other is on the generic Batman Rogues scale of crazy with none of the self-awareness that the villains have.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
This one is more a combo of a shattered friendship between two mentally ill people with one of them being a functional maniac while the other is on the generic Batman Rogues scale of crazy with none of the self-awareness that the villains have

Do you really get the sense that these men are actual friends or their friendship is a shoehorned relationship?

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Do you really get the sense that these men are actual friends or their friendship is a shoehorned relationship?
Oh that deep and abiding friendship stuff is definitely some retconned bullshyt but I have faith in Tynion to make it compellingly enjoyable retconned bullshyt.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Was X of Swords worth it? I dropped it 1 issue into them entering the arena.

The final three issues wrap the story pretty nicely, and the final book is fukking dope, imo.

You can basically read these issues:

1) X Of Swords: Creation
2) X-Factor #4
3) Cable #5 (
4) X Of Swords: Stasis
5) Cable #6
6) X-Men #15
7) Excalibur #15
8) X Of Swords: Destruction

And not miss anything important to the main story. I also loved the fukkery on both Hellions books but they are side stories that connect very little to the event itself.

Overall I thought it was a fun read. Not even close to stuff like HoX/PoX (don't think it touches something like Messiah Complex either) but it had some cool moments and opened up a fukk ton of more stories/possibilities for the next 1-2 years Hickman and the team has in store.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
X of Swords is focused on Apocalypse, right? Thinking of getting the collection (when I find it for cheap) since I’m a fan of him.

Yeah, at it's core its an Apocalypse story. The setting is mainly in Otherworld though, I'd say Apoc's story takes kind of a backseat in like 9 of the 22 chapters because of it (re-introducing Otherworld and the contest itself). If you just read the issues I wrote and add all the X-Men issues by Hickman, you'll get everything about Apocalypse.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I've heard ppl say a lot of good things about Cates venom run (I only read a couple issues early on, a while back.. so i can't judge) but one problem i immediately have with this king in black first issue is the complete negligence of the current MU status quo.... acting like we're still in 2004 New Avengers era.

Cap isn't the leader of the Avengers, BP is. Luke isn't in the front lines of big Avenger battles, Blade is; Blade is an active member who should be all in the video.

My memory of Sentry is foggy as i thought he had gone super sayian red, last seen in annihilation scourge... but here he's back in his '04 gimmick trying to reenact a gimmick he pulled back in... '04.

And why do they stay neglecting Blue Marvel in all these "all hands on deck" extinction level events that happen semi-quarterly?