Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps

Zoomers? One of them has a Tik Tok? Fitness Insta? Moderating mutant subreddits? :martin:
What the hell is going on with Marvel's editorial decisions?

Marvel writers are trying WAY too hard on being culturally relevant as oppose of making and writing good characters to make people give a damn.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Zoomers? One of them has a Tik Tok? Fitness Insta? Moderating mutant subreddits? :martin:
What the hell is going on with Marvel's editorial decisions?

They know they get shytted on and called 'SJW Marvel' by the Comicsgate crowd so they're leaning into it, but they're going full retard with it now.

They're doing way too much and now they're alienating the very audience they're trying to appeal to while vindicating the comicsgaters who stopped reading their books.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love Ellis but even he isn't in the clear. Ever since he's actually found some mainstream success he's been tempted into doing cheap Action Storyboard writing. The Batman's Grave is a strong example of this. That shyt is just an extensively written tv-episode where he storyboards every action scene in detail (boot on chair, lift off jump, moonsault in air, boot cracks nose) so you can finish reading an issue in less than two minutes. :dead:

But the fact there are still people who love Bendis will never not astonish me. His writing is cancer to my soul.:scust:
You niccas exaggerate with hating bendis. He has flaws but he’s not as bad as you guys act . He’s like Hickman and johns when they are in their wheelhouse they can do great work

parallax

Superstar
Daps
You niccas exaggerate with hating bendis. He has flaws but he’s not as bad as you guys act . He’s like Hickman and johns when they are in their wheelhouse they can do great work

whats bendis wheelhouse then, and why hasnt he been there? he was exposed with ultimate spider man when he made miles and proceeded to do nothing with the character for years, somehow makes the xmen even more stagnant than they were.. followed up an already shytty event with another piece of shyt in civil war 2. aged jon kent up for no reason when he was one of the shining stars of rebirth.

if you like him thats fine, but people hating him makes perfect sense

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

He's as bad to me as I think he is. I'm not exaggerating anything from my own perspective.

Have I given him props for Powers, Jinx, his early Daredevil and his Ultimate Spiderman? Yes.

Have I given him props for his creating a long string of culturally diverse and entertaining teen super heroes? Yes.

Have I given Bendis props for his Avengers work spearheading Marvel Cinematic, which made comics as a whole, not just a few characters, more acceptable to the mainstream world? Yes.

Does Bendis do this talking head shyt where everyone talks in the same voice because he has no idea how to write them? Yes.

Has Bendis written stories where he throws existing continuity out the window and totally changed characters on a whim just because? Yes.

Has Bendis attached his name to stuff he didn't write or was artist of? Yes.

Has Bendis had his "events" inserted into long term story telling, thus delaying and/or derailing them? Yes.

Has bendis been called out by fans en large for major mistakes made with characters to the point that Editors released statements covering for him? Yes.

Has Bendis taken his favorite minor characters and put them into stories where they do things that don't make sense for them to be able to do? Yes.

You like Bendis? Great. I don't care. I'm not gonna be telling you that you're wrong to. Thats on you.

Are "us niccas" (re: me) exaggerating our hate for the bulk of bendis' work?

No. So watch us hate it how we hate it. :ufdup:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I think we had this discussion on here like... 5 years ago lol.. but the novelty of Bendis, i felt, wore off after Dark Reign/Seige.

Quick social experiment?

New Avengers arc
House of M
Secret Invasion
Illuminati
Dark Avengers
Dark Reign
Seige

^Rate each of these out of 10, and then do the same for:

Heroic Age Avengers arc
Age of Ultron
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
GotG
Civil War II
Defenders

Not including solo runs, just team books and event books.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
whats bendis wheelhouse then, and why hasnt he been there? he was exposed with ultimate spider man when he made miles and proceeded to do nothing with the character for years, somehow makes the xmen even more stagnant than they were.. followed up an already shytty event with another piece of shyt in civil war 2. aged jon kent up for no reason when he was one of the shining stars of rebirth.

if you like him thats fine, but people hating him makes perfect sense

Dc folk REALLY didn't like that move :wow:

Mr. Brown

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami
I’m trying to get into some graphic novels. I’ve had a few from different sales over the years but have hardly read any of them. Other than Killing Joke a few years back.

I read Hush yesterday and holy shyt it was great. The art and story were both great. And it also helps that I didn’t know all the characters that were in it so there was some good surprises. I loved the storyline between Batman and Catwoman.

Also, makes me wonder if there’ll ever be a live action movie with the whole bat family with Nightwing, Robin, Oracle. I know it’s not happening based on the current cast, but I’d love it if they were to do a live action series of movies with them. We don’t need anymore origin stories.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Undiscovered Country hits eerily close to home during the coronavirus pandemic. :merchant:

As does the current arc in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
PIxfS1T.png

This shyt might seriously be my favorite book in years.:laff:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I’m trying to get into some graphic novels. I’ve had a few from different sales over the years but have hardly read any of them. Other than Killing Joke a few years back.

I read Hush yesterday and holy shyt it was great. The art and story were both great. And it also helps that I didn’t know all the characters that were in it so there was some good surprises. I loved the storyline between Batman and Catwoman.

Also, makes me wonder if there’ll ever be a live action movie with the whole bat family with Nightwing, Robin, Oracle. I know it’s not happening based on the current cast, but I’d love it if they were to do a live action series of movies with them. We don’t need anymore origin stories.
Emperor Doom

Mr. Brown

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Emperor Doom
Thanks I’ll check it out.

I just started reading Death in the Family. The other Batman ones I’ve got are Long Halloween (which I read most of a while back), The Dark Mirror and Court of Owls and then for Marvel I’ve got God Loves Man Kills, Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet

Also kind of off topic but I watched the Hush movie after reading the graphic novel and the book was way better

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA

Hickman's
Fantastic Four
New Avengers

Theres a reason Marvel tapped him to resurrect the X-Men