Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
agreed, when he knows his topic hes on. its just that he really doesnt get panther, and people seem fine with what hes doing because hes black

He "gets" black panther. He just doesn't care for it. He said Priest and Hudlin's run were male fantasy wishfulfillment and he himself is not a big fan of that nor afro-futurism (which he deferred to Stelfreeze, his artist at the time, to come up with ideas for).

teacher

All Star
Daps
agreed, when he knows his topic hes on. its just that he really doesnt get panther, and people seem fine with what hes doing because hes black
I'm enjoying it personally, the first few issues were slow Imo been str8 since 4 IMHO... but I don't take it that seriously...if it was a white guy or an uncle tom writing I'd probably feel similar

You're the one throwing "c00n" around :usure:

I simply called him the Jason Whitlock of comic books. :mjgrin:

How he is outside of that medium, is off topic in this thread.

Whitlock is a c00n of the highest order clowning a man for standing up for your rights not to get shot by a cop for no reason....Coates is a comic book c00n?...rocket is writing panther? :mjgrin: Either way calling him Whitlock is extreme Imo.

to me Coates is trying to get his 'key' issues on so he can eat off residuals. He got one with lesbians in wakanda now he trying to get another with the 'true' origin. Basically deconstructing the character to rebuild him in his image. Also to teach black boys how to act. hopefully by the end we will see black panther that can go toe to toe with galactus..

Coates run is the most intimate we have been with t'challa and his inner circle, which I think is cool. Only run that comes close is panthers rage and he was the azzhole king on some whatever he says goes so there wasn't any development of the other characters like that. That's probably what I like most of it.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
He "gets" black panther. He just doesn't care for it. He said Priest and Hudlin's run were male fantasy wishfulfillment and he himself is not a big fan of that nor afro-futurism (which he deferred to Stelfreeze, his artist at the time, to come up with ideas for).

he clearly doesnt though. noone who gets panther would decontsruct wakanda in the way he has

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Whitlock is a c00n of the highest order clowning a man for standing up for your rights not to get shot by a cop for no reason....Coates is a comic book c00n?...rocket is writing panther? :mjgrin: Either way calling him Whitlock is extreme Imo.

Nah, I'm good with it.

Whitlock acts oblivious (or indifferent) to how his negative destructive views tick off black folks who expected a better (black) voice in the media.

Coates acts oblivious (or indifferent) to how his negative destructive depictions tick off black folks who expected a better (black) portrayal in the medium.

If you want to go a step further and call one of them c00ntastic or defend Ta-Nehisi in general b/c that's your guy, do you :manny:

And imo, Priest's run was a far more intimate and competent portrayal of T'Challa and his supporting cast. But to each their own.
he clearly doesnt though. noone who gets panther would decontsruct wakanda in the way he has

He doesn't care about "getting" Black Panther is what I'm saying. He came in with his own agenda about western government, misogyny, and wanted to use T'Challa's name/popularity as a means to prop up other characters like the LGBT doras (WoW) and the Erza guy (Crew). And so now that those ventures failed, he's apparently going into season 2 with this christopher columbus spin.

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
That “Dark Metal” event DC doing needs to get wrapped up. It’s basically Final Crisis Light.

I’m ready for that Doomsday Clock epic

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
*reads doomsday clock*

That's...... interesting.... :patrice:

This book feels like such a pointless undertaking if all Johns is going to do with it is poorly try to replicate the OG Watchmen's style without adding something fresh on it. Everything (outside of the Mime character, which actually feels interesting) is just lazily built on Moore's universe, and it's that same inoffensive playing-it-safe take that made all the Before Watchmen books so utterly forgettable. Either have the balls to really build on Moore's legacy or just leave it the fukk alone.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Whats the ratio you guys buy comics or use comixology?

Is comicology good on a phone?

Theyre having 50% off dc annuals right now