Essential The Official Coli Travel Thread

Spence

Superstar
Daps
How long did you stay there? I want to hit a Real Madrid game, so may just city hop Spain
About 4 days. We use Spain as the port of entry since it’s cheap af to get there then fly or train to better parts of Europe.

Seen both Madrid & Barcelona. I liked Madrid a little more. If you brush up on your Spanish the Mami’s will def be fkn with you. A couple got too cordial while I was trying to make orders or get things done and my wife had to check they asses since they didn’t know we were together :pachaha:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
About 4 days. We use Spain as the port of entry since it’s cheap af to get there then fly or train to better parts of Europe.

Seen both Madrid & Barcelona. I liked Madrid a little more. If you brush up on your Spanish the Mami’s will def be fkn with you. A couple got too cordial while I was trying to make orders or get things done and my wife had to check they asses since they didn’t know we were together :pachaha:
I can converse in Latin American Spanish, that Spain shyt diff lol. I may do Afro Punk Portugal and split time between Portugal and Spain if it lines up with the Real Madrid season too

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Just came back from Switzerland. Was a last minute trip due to my uncle passing...so in that sense it was kinda odd, didn't explore all the places I wanted to. Hung with my cousins for a bit, on one hand it helped clear their minds...on the other hand, it was just a little weird trying to have fun or asking them to go to this/that place.

Flew Swiss Air, which is my 2nd time flying with a non-US airline......brehs :wow:comparatively, Delta, United, American, Southwest, etc treat us like shyt. shyt felt more spacious, the service and demeanor was like Chik-Fil-A on steroids except it felt genuine. Like they were happy about life and being reps/models for their country. Even the marketing videos they had telling the story of Swiss Air was truly elite. Prior to two weeks ago, I thought USA was #1 in marketing propaganda....but this shyt here was like Nike/MJ ads on behalf of their entire country. Food was fresh af too.

And I know the service wasn't "only" good because it was a long haul flight.....I flew United back to the States and was promptly reminded I'm headed back to reality. :scusthov: (service wise)

- Aesthetically: Mostly stayed in Zurich, 8 minute bus ride outside of Lindenhof/downtown. More so a mega city feel.
Stayed near Rapperswil....more so a town/rural feel.

Both areas, any which way you turn your head, look like something out of a movie. Super green pastures, beautiful nature, picturesque city landscape.
No lie, did not see one single overweight person :mjlol: even if you come across somebody a lil chubby, 99% chance they're not Swiss. Probably from U.S. or England. Pretty sure I saw some 75+ year olds cycling up long, steep hills like it was a breeze.
Entire country seems super clean...streets, manicured grass, countryside is not dead or misused, damn near zero litter, fresh lakes/rivers running thru the city. Even the cemetary and church my uncle's funeral was held at was something out of a Jason Bourne flick.

- Transit/getting around: For as good as I thought NYC & Montreal's transit system is/was......Switzerland, specifically Zurich, seems way ahead. Some of that is probably due to population size, but it just seems that Switzerland's system runs at higher frequencies which tremendously curbs congestion/overcrowded cabs. All the various modes of high frequency transport is dope too. Trams, Polybahn, ferries etc. When I was younger, my uncle told me he enjoyed his commutes to and from work....I didn't appreciate it til I did his route. :wow: Bike from his home to the ferry, chill, have a little tea/coffee, take a tram or polybahn up to the university. Maybe take the train back home, not having to worry about riff raff on the train with their mental health issues and shyt.

[If you do rent a car, cause you wanna visit some of the smaller villages/vallies, use super high caution as their culture prioritizes pedastrians. You could be on a 60 mph winding road and there'll be a cross walk just beyond the corner, and you're expected to stop.]

Due to their education system, most people speak multiple languages....primarily Swiss German, French, & English. But it did seem like once we got further away from Zurich/a main city, the people were less likely to accomadate you speaking in English.

- Culturally: seeing 5 year olds go to and from school all by themselves fukked me up. :pachaha:I had anxiety watching jits walk into traffic expecting the cars to stop.
Seems like the whole country prioritizes leisure and legitimate work/life balance.
The food is well proportioned, and all the ingredients seem fresher/natural.

Not sure if it's part of the norm over there, or my cousin's circle just so happens to have a lot of really priviledged/high income peope in it......but talking to a few of the chicks over there, a lot of young adults have their lifestyle funded by their parents for quite longer than American parents tend to do. One chick in particular was saying her parents' pay for her apartment, her sister's apartment, and brother's apartment. Ages 24, 26, & 29. And multi generational living doesn't seem to be as frowned upon like it is here in the States.

I had tickets booked to visit back in 2020 but got cancelled due to COVID, really wish I had come earlier....know my uncle would've showed me around to all the dope nature spots, mountain passes, rivers, etc.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
Not traveling this summer. Oldest daughter is heading to kindergarten in 2 months so we don’t want to get things off schedule. Going to go to San Antonio for an extenddd Labor Day weekend but that’s it.

We are though targeting Cartagena for Xmas since flights from Houston aren’t expensive.

As a father with my youngest about to go into kindergarten don't worry that age they can handle anything as long as they get their proper sleep.

Any help from brehs

Wanna take my girl somewhere around Labor Day

Live in NOLA so I'm worried about hurricanes

She just took me to Napa Valley

What are things you like to do? Clearly wine tasting and not being in a major city around nightlife and clubs seems to be cool with you. Labor Day is a good time to go anywhere north. Weather is still nice pretty much everywhere.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Going to start planning a Europe trip for next summer. Already had it in works for my sister's 40th, but this recent trip got me even more interested. It'll probably be about 14 days.

For sure I'm visiting: Zurich (due to family), Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen, Greece (sister's bucket list.....not sure which part tho, Mykonos, Tinos, or Athens), Italy (brother wants to go....not sure if it's gonna be Geona, Rome, Palermo, or Naples)

I want to throw in either Austria or Germany to visit some of the Holocaust type sites. Also Barcelona, for my sister.

But they all seem so spread out considering it'll only be about 14 days.

Anyone got experience or tips for getting around Europe in such a short time span?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
No lie, did not see one single overweight person :mjlol: even if you come across somebody a lil chubby, 99% chance they're not Swiss. Probably from U.S. or England. Pretty sure I saw some 75+ year olds cycling up long, steep hills like it was a breeze.

I feel this way every time I go up to Vancouver. :mjlol:

Soon as I cross the border back into Washington and stop somewhere, I'm appalled. :picard:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any New York tips?

Going in July. Driving there from Michigan so a 9 hour trip. Gonna get an Airbnb. What’s the best borough to stay in for closeness to fun activities and restaurants?

No point in having a car in nyc especially if you’re actually staying in the city.

Also any borough should be fun depending on what type of people you want to be around

You can’t go wrong with Brooklyn I guess

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I can converse in Latin American Spanish, that Spain shyt diff lol. I may do Afro Punk Portugal and split time between Portugal and Spain if it lines up with the Real Madrid season too
Lisbon was amazing. Lmk if you go, there’s a real easy trick to avoid the dumbass line for the famous #12 tram that goes through the city’s scenic parts of town.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Just came back from Switzerland. Was a last minute trip due to my uncle passing...so in that sense it was kinda odd, didn't explore all the places I wanted to. Hung with my cousins for a bit, on one hand it helped clear their minds...on the other hand, it was just a little weird trying to have fun or asking them to go to this/that place.

Flew Swiss Air, which is my 2nd time flying with a non-US airline......brehs :wow:comparatively, Delta, United, American, Southwest, etc treat us like shyt. shyt felt more spacious, the service and demeanor was like Chik-Fil-A on steroids except it felt genuine. Like they were happy about life and being reps/models for their country. Even the marketing videos they had telling the story of Swiss Air was truly elite. Prior to two weeks ago, I thought USA was #1 in marketing propaganda....but this shyt here was like Nike/MJ ads on behalf of their entire country. Food was fresh af too.

And I know the service wasn't "only" good because it was a long haul flight.....I flew United back to the States and was promptly reminded I'm headed back to reality. :scusthov: (service wise)

- Aesthetically: Mostly stayed in Zurich, 8 minute bus ride outside of Lindenhof/downtown. More so a mega city feel.
Stayed near Rapperswil....more so a town/rural feel.

Both areas, any which way you turn your head, look like something out of a movie. Super green pastures, beautiful nature, picturesque city landscape.
Entire country seems super clean...streets, manicured grass, countryside is not dead or misused, damn near zero litter, fresh lakes/rivers running thru the city. Even the cemetary and church my uncle's funeral was held at was something out of a Jason Bourne flick.

- Transit/getting around: For as good as I thought NYC & Montreal's transit system is/was......Switzerland, specifically Zurich, seems way ahead. Some of that is probably due to population size, but it just seems that Switzerland's system runs at higher frequencies which tremendously curbs congestion/overcrowded cabs. All the various modes of high frequency transport is dope too. Trams, Polybahn, ferries etc. When I was younger, my uncle told me he enjoyed his commutes to and from work....I didn't appreciate it til I did his route. :wow: Bike from his home to the ferry, chill, have a little tea/coffee, take a tram or polybahn up to the university. Maybe take the train back home, not having to worry about riff raff on the train with their mental health issues and shyt.

[If you do rent a car, cause you wanna visit some of the smaller villages/vallies, use super high caution as their culture prioritizes pedastrians. You could be on a 60 mph winding road and there'll be a cross walk just beyond the corner, and you're expected to stop.]

Due to their education system, most people speak multiple languages....primarily Swiss German, French, & English. But it did seem like once we got further away from Zurich/a main city, the people were less likely to accomadate you speaking in English.

- Culturally: seeing 5 year olds go to and from school all by themselves fukked me up. :pachaha:I had anxiety watching jits walk into traffic expecting the cars to stop.
Seems like the whole country prioritizes leisure and legitimate work/life balance.
The food is well proportioned, and all the ingredients seem fresher/natural.

Not sure if it's part of the norm over there, or my cousin's circle just so happens to have a lot of really priviledged/high income peope in it......but talking to a few of the chicks over there, a lot of young adults have their lifestyle funded by their parents for quite longer than American parents tend to do. One chick in particular was saying her parents' pay for her apartment, her sister's apartment, and brother's apartment. Ages 24, 26, & 29. And multi generational living doesn't seem to be as frowned upon like it is here in the States.

I had tickets booked to visit back in 2020 but got cancelled due to COVID, really wish I had come earlier....know my uncle would've showed me around to all the dope nature spots, mountain passes, rivers, etc.
Try the Kalbgetschnitzel next time you’re there. We got the chance to go during the winter and experienced the Xmas market, shyt was straight out of a hallmark movie with smiling ass white people enjoying being A#1 top of the heap :mjlol:

shyt was fly though, copped an official swiss Army knife from Switzerland which was a small side mission goal.

Did you get to handle any cash? Their shyt is straight artwork, I pulled money and was just looking at my hand like :wtf:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Going to start planning a Europe trip for next summer. Already had it in works for my sister's 40th, but this recent trip got me even more interested. It'll probably be about 14 days.

For sure I'm visiting: Zurich (due to family), Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen, Greece (sister's bucket list.....not sure which part tho, Mykonos, Tinos, or Athens), Italy (brother wants to go....not sure if it's gonna be Geona, Rome, Palermo, or Naples)

I want to throw in either Austria or Germany to visit some of the Holocaust type sites. Also Barcelona, for my sister.

But they all seem so spread out considering it'll only be about 14 days.

Anyone got experience or tips for getting around Europe in such a short time span?
Ryanair is their version of Spirit, so expect carnival games once you get to the airport. Easy jet was another cheap one we used. You can see a shyt ton of Europe in 2 weeks. Everything is a 45 minute flight or 2 hour train ride away. What you would want to do is start far East in Germany and work your way southwest finishing in Barcelona. Flights within Europe were like €20-30 :pachaha:
Trains were about the same price and if you account for time actually waiting on flying, runway taxi etc, it’s virtually the same amount of time investment.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
As a father with my youngest about to go into kindergarten don't worry that age they can handle anything as long as they get their proper sleep.

What are things you like to do? Clearly wine tasting and not being in a major city around nightlife and clubs seems to be cool with you. Labor Day is a good time to go anywhere north. Weather is still nice pretty much everywhere.
Yeah, 8 hour overseas flights def tossing the sleep schedule in the bushes my breh :heh:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Any help from brehs

Wanna take my girl somewhere around Labor Day

Live in NOLA so I'm worried about hurricanes

She just took me to Napa Valley
Hop in the whip, head 7 hours west to Texas Wine country. If you don’t want to drive that long, we (Houston) are 5 hours west and in College station about 1 hour outside of town is Messina Hoff bed and breakfast. She’s def giving up something there, it’s scenic, fresh air, great food, and all the wine and cheese you can eat and drink. Head further west just outside of Austin for even better wine country, it’s no Napa, but can def hold its own and not grenade your wallet. You can see Austin as well and catch a lot of great live music acts which you already get plenty of in NO