Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just made a thread on this:

It was OK. Probably would've liked it better if the majority of the characters in it weren't so thoroughly unlikable.

Slasher horror allows for 1 total dikkhead character who you root for to die and the rest of the cast needs to be varying degrees of likable enough that their deaths upset the audience. They fukked up that simple formula.

I did like the killer dude though.

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Hey Sour!!! this is the first time I’ve seen you comment over here - do you like horror too??
I've posted in here before and chopped it up with you, lol. You my NY coli bredren. I love horror but I haven't found anything that stood out within the last few months. Dr. Sleep and color from out of space were the last good flicks.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I've posted in here before and chopped it up with you, lol. You my NY coli bredren. I love horror but I haven't found anything that stood out within the last few months. Dr. Sleep and color from out of space were the last good flicks.
Lol- my bad, my mind goes a mile a minute, now I remember. Of course I know we vibe over at TLR. Last few months haven’t been great with content; we’re taking what we can get atm bc all the heavy releases are being pushed back. I’ve been watching A lot of those horror background/history video compilations On YouTube- behind the scenes, “things you missed while watching” , 10 interesting facts about ‘insert movie title here’, how the movies were made.

Quiet Ones 2 is pushed back until April 2021.

If I come across interesting ones - I’ll post up. Let’s see hmmm, so far I’ve watched The Lodge, Parasite, The Host- Hulu has a few The Shudder Horror movie app is keeping us fed- I watched Society and The Beach House over the past 2days. Twilight Zone series - cbs all access. And catching up on whatever people post on here. Netflix has the Ju-on the series. Their best ones are foreign -Asian and Spanish subtitled. I’m taking a look at Curon

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
Lol- my bad, my mind goes a mile a minute, now I remember. Of course I know we vibe over at TLR. Last few months haven’t been great with content; we’re taking what we can get atm bc all the heavy releases are being pushed back. I’ve been watching A lot of those horror background/history video compilations On YouTube- behind the scenes, “things you missed while watching” , 10 interesting facts about ‘insert movie title here’, how the movies were made.

Quiet Ones 2 is pushed back until April 2021.

If I come across interesting ones - I’ll post up. Let’s see hmmm, so far I’ve watched The Lodge, Parasite, The Host- Hulu has a few The Shudder Horror movie app is keeping us fed- I watched Society and The Beach House over the past 2days. Twilight Zone series - cbs all access. And catching up on whatever people post on here. Netflix has the Ju-on the series. Their best ones are foreign -Asian and Spanish subtitled. I’m taking a look at Curon
The Korean horror flicks are the best. :banderas:

Kinda off topic. One of my favorite sites I use to frequently visit was shocktillyoudrop.com and getting the insights on the after dark horror fest. That was criminally slept on.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Kinda off topic. One of my favorite sites I use to frequently visit was shocktillyoudrop.com and getting the insights on the after dark horror fest. That was criminally slept on.
:ohhh:That sounds familiar, it’s defunct now though right?

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Looked it up, I think it’s comingsoon.net, for horror in development. The creator got a gig working for Blumhouse production

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Interesting
The True Story Behind 'The Grudge' Is Creepier Than The Movie

The True Stories and Real Life References in Ju-on Origins

2. News events.

Origins is set over a period of several years, and the show cleverly provides real life links to each of these years through various background news reports. These news reports featured some of the biggest and most devastating events that took place in Japan for their corresponding years, meaning that Japanese viewers would immediately know when the story was taking place, but some of these events may be lesser known to Western audiences, so let’s take a look:

1988: Furuta Junko’s murder. The news report playing in the background mentions a teenage girl’s body was found in a concrete drum and three teenage boys were arrested for the crime. The show refers to her as “Sakura” because both Furuta and the boys involved were all underage at the time of the crime, thus the show used an alias. Furuta died on January 4, 1989, just after New Year’s.

1994: The Matsumoto sarin gas attack perpetrated by the cult Aum Shinrikyo is mentioned on the TV. This took place on June 27, 1994. Eight people were killed and over 500 injured.

1995: As the show moves into 1995, it starts with a report on the Great Hanshin earthquake, which rocked Japan on January 16, 1995. Over 6,000 people were killed in this disaster, making it the second worst earthquake in Japan during the 20th century (over 105,000 died in the Great Kanto earthquake of 1923).

1995: The Tokyo subway sarin gas attack is also mentioned on a TV news report. This one is focused on more directly by the show as it’s the attack most people are familiar with. It took place on March 20, 1995. 12 people died, 50 were severely injured, and more than 1000 suffered temporary vision problems.

1997: The final year of the series sees the Kobe child murders mentioned on a news report in the background. This took place on March 16, 1997 and saw a 14-year-old boy kill and behead an 11-year-old boy, leaving his head in front of his school gate for students to find as they arrived for school in the morning. The killer later confessed to killing a 10-year-old girl as well.

3. The phone incident.

Something that may be especially confusing for Western viewers is the “phone incident” that took place in episode four. This was also based on a real-life murder that took place in Japan in the late 1980s. A pregnant woman on the verge of giving birth was murdered in Nagoya and her unborn baby cut out of her stomach. Bizarrely, when her body was found, the baby was still alive beside her and a phone had been placed inside her cut womb. The killer was never found. I wrote more about this particular case in Kaihan: Bizarre Crimes that Shook Japan Vol. 1.

4. The child killer “M”.

The child killer referred to as “M” over several episodes is based on the real life “Little Girl Murderer” Miyazaki Tsutomu. He killed four young girls during the late 80s, much like M, by first getting them into his car and then killing them. Miyazaki was eventually arrested after an abduction attempt went wrong and the girl’s father called the police. He was convicted of killing all four girls and then sentenced to death, which was carried out in Tokyo on June 17, 2008.

And there you have it. While the story featured in Ju-on Origins is indeed fiction, the show does attempt to incorporate several real life incidents into its storyline

Last edited: