Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I watched some...weird stuff this weekend. But each was good in its own way.

Possessor: Grabbed this one off the strength of a @Jello Biafra smiley review. The violence is a bit gratuitous, the plot is a bit confusing (seemingly on purpose for effect) and it felt like it was ready to end but decided to stretch itself in the late game...but then the conclusion really did wrap things up in an interesting way. This is a "the less you know probably the better" flick. I'll just say that the visuals were both the grossest and the best part of the film. It's a really unique flick and I could see fans jumping in for second and third watches to dig into subtleties masked by the violence and confusion of the first watch. That said; this ish was too brutal and dark for even my overly analytical ass to go back to at least in the short term.

Vivarium: I heard some twilight zone comparisons and that's up my alley. Vivarium wasn't what I was expecting going off the trailers. I expected it to be really subtle and slow, but it moves quickly and never stops to explain what's happening. So you just take the clues as they come and put together a weird puzzle. I kinda loved it tbh. For it's completely weird premise, it manages to smack a bunch of concerns and fears I've had going into adulthood. It's a modern Kafka story with a splash of Salvador Dali visuals. That said, there are no clear answers here so if you want absolute terms then this isn't gonna work. But it wasn't so vague that it became a choose your own adventure like I felt the Lighthouse did. It's not for everyone but I really enjoyed it.

The Killing of a Sacred Lamb: The closest thing to set in the normal world that I got was this movie which starts on a shot of an open heart surgery while orchestral strings play a forboding song in the background. Killing of a Sacred Lamb has been out for a few years and I've always heard good things. The cast includes Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman who both absolutely KILL IT in their performances. Farrell is a cardiologist who has started to look out for a teen boy that lost his father in an accident a while back. While Farrell brings that boy closer, his own children start to act sick but all the medical tests show nothing.

This is as uncomfortable as I've been watching a movie since Hereditary, maybe even moreso. It's a family going through a messed up situation and feeling completely powerless while also uncovering secrets that they've kept from each other through the trauma. It's got this bizarre way of handling dialogue where everyone is hella straight forward even about crazy dark situations and stories. The backdrop is this crazy intense score that makes normal interactions feel like they're hiding something too. It's got Greek Tragedy vibes for me. It's a gut punch of a flick, slow burning but constantly escalating.

To summarize: So yeah, a lot of psychological trauma heavy horror for me this weekend and I mostly stumbled into it. I'd recommend all three flicks, just not in close proximity. I broke up my viewings with Guy Ritchie flicks and binge watching the new season of the Last Kingdom. Vivarium and Possessor were firestick finds while Killing of a Sacred Lamb is on Netflix.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I’ve never watched any of the Hellraiser movies for some reason. I think that’s the only horror series that was completely off the radar for me and never had a chance to watch in its entirety. I may have a chance being at home now

1 and 2 are really, really good. It kinda goes all the way schlock from there but I still like 3 also.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I’ve never watched any of the Hellraiser movies for some reason. I think that’s the only horror series that was completely off the radar for me and never had a chance to watch in its entirety. I may have a chance being at home now

I like 1 and 2. Like 2 more than 1 actually. @BXKingPin82 is a fan tho lol.

They're all about S&M shyt so if you're not in the mood for some freaky weird shyt, I'd hold off

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I like 1 and 2. Like 2 more than 1 actually. @BXKingPin82 is a fan tho lol.

They're all about S&M shyt so if you're not in the mood for some freaky weird shyt, I'd hold off
Pinhead was dropping them hip hop quotables dude!
:banderas:

But on the subject of Hellraiser, I think theres like a million of them shyts.
That shyts like that show CSI.

Coulda swore i saw my girl in the bed watching Hellraiser:Mexico one day.

:patrice:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pinhead was dropping them hip hop quotables dude!
:banderas:

But on the subject of Hellraiser, I think theres like a million of them shyts.
That shyts like that show CSI.

Coulda swore i saw my girl in the bed watching Hellraiser:Mexico one day.

:patrice:

Yeah there's definitely...6 or 7 flicks. But I think Clive Barker was only involved in the first two. maybe the third

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I watched some...weird stuff this weekend. But each was good in its own way.

Possessor: Grabbed this one off the strength of a @Jello Biafra smiley review. The violence is a bit gratuitous, the plot is a bit confusing (seemingly on purpose for effect) and it felt like it was ready to end but decided to stretch itself in the late game...but then the conclusion really did wrap things up in an interesting way. This is a "the less you know probably the better" flick. I'll just say that the visuals were both the grossest and the best part of the film. It's a really unique flick and I could see fans jumping in for second and third watches to dig into subtleties masked by the violence and confusion of the first watch. That said; this ish was too brutal and dark for even my overly analytical ass to go back to at least in the short term.

Vivarium: I heard some twilight zone comparisons and that's up my alley. Vivarium wasn't what I was expecting going off the trailers. I expected it to be really subtle and slow, but it moves quickly and never stops to explain what's happening. So you just take the clues as they come and put together a weird puzzle. I kinda loved it tbh. For it's completely weird premise, it manages to smack a bunch of concerns and fears I've had going into adulthood. It's a modern Kafka story with a splash of Salvador Dali visuals. That said, there are no clear answers here so if you want absolute terms then this isn't gonna work. But it wasn't so vague that it became a choose your own adventure like I felt the Lighthouse did. It's not for everyone but I really enjoyed it.

The Killing of a Sacred Lamb: The closest thing to set in the normal world that I got was this movie which starts on a shot of an open heart surgery while orchestral strings play a forboding song in the background. Killing of a Sacred Lamb has been out for a few years and I've always heard good things. The cast includes Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman who both absolutely KILL IT in their performances. Farrell is a cardiologist who has started to look out for a teen boy that lost his father in an accident a while back. While Farrell brings that boy closer, his own children start to act sick but all the medical tests show nothing.

This is as uncomfortable as I've been watching a movie since Hereditary, maybe even moreso. It's a family going through a messed up situation and feeling completely powerless while also uncovering secrets that they've kept from each other through the trauma. It's got this bizarre way of handling dialogue where everyone is hella straight forward even about crazy dark situations and stories. The backdrop is this crazy intense score that makes normal interactions feel like they're hiding something too. It's got Greek Tragedy vibes for me. It's a gut punch of a flick, slow burning but constantly escalating.

To summarize: So yeah, a lot of psychological trauma heavy horror for me this weekend and I mostly stumbled into it. I'd recommend all three flicks, just not in close proximity. I broke up my viewings with Guy Ritchie flicks and binge watching the new season of the Last Kingdom. Vivarium and Possessor were firestick finds while Killing of a Sacred Lamb is on Netflix.
Good reviews! :salute:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Like previously mentioned, the first two movies are quality but things take a turn for the worst after that.

And I personally think that Kirsty is one of the most underrated Final Girls in horror.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
An Indigenous Peoples zombie movie. Looks interesting.

BLOOD QUANTUM
K9FkJpC.jpg

The dead are coming back to life outside the isolated Mi'gMaq reserve of Red Crow, except for its Indigenous inhabitants who are strangely immune to the zombie plague.

Shudder dropped BLOOD QUANTUM on the service last night.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Shudder dropped BLOOD QUANTUM on the service last night.
Watched it today. It’s fine. I think I’m just done with zombie movies for a while. I thought this one was going in an interesting direction but it fell flat for me.
It’s great seeing a zombie movie from another perspective and the fact the native Americans are dealing with “white zombies” isn’t lost on me but the metaphor kinda goes nowhere

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
MV5BNjJmYjJmYzktYjk5OC00OTZlLTk3OTYtZTM3MjhkMTkyZGM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ3MTI4NjI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

watching this now.

will report back.

"g-g-g-g-g-G-UNIT!!"

no idea why i said that.