Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
There were several points in ‘Longlegs’ where the atmosphere was rivaling those home movie bits in ‘Sinister’ and I wish we got more of that in the end. Maybe another watch down the road will change my mind about it, but:

The goofiness undercut most of the tension. I laughed, sure, but I couldn’t help but feel grand confusion by the end. Kinda reminded me of what happened with Riddler in The Batman. Starting off so menacing, so much that the mystique is pulling the audience in and then…

Oh wait, this guy is actually just really pathetic. He's most likely a top poster on r/conspiracy (or r/satanism in Longlegs’ case). I like it for Riddler’s character, but I’m not sure if I do here. Intention or not.

Thought Cage wearing white clothing, as opposed to the black that most nefarious figures in these type of films would wear was dope though. Also admired the big swing when it came to his character getting an earlier than expected exit. Just wish it didn’t have to rely so hard on an exposition dump in the last act. I think it’s lazy storytelling, and also erased a lot of the mystique that was built up to that point.

The third season of True Detective did the same shyt and it irked me to my core. Sometimes less is more and I don’t need the full picture.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
ezy5u7c.jpeg

:damn:
Aint no way
21952-db28f1406fe7a303701767c2ebc45308.jpg

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I saw Longlegs Saturday. It was aight. Its like perfectly decent. Nothing is bad, I thought the cinematography and setting of the movie was pretty good. The story/plot was okay, but
having Longlegs simply being caught at the bus stop was some bullshyt. They could have had some creepy scene at his house with dolls or something.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah, Long Legs was good, but disappointing for me. What kills me is that I do think it's probably the "creepiest" movie of the year. Perkins has been a pro at creating a chilling atmosphere since his debut, and this one might be his best. There's a whole bunch of cool cinematography to chew on, which helps carry it through a pretty slow-moving plot.

The story itself is my kinda dark. It isn't just ominous but oppressive in how it feels like you're spiraling down a rabbit hole. But I think the last act and some of the makeup undercuts a decent amount of what's working. So, let's go spoilers:

The good:
The performances are great. Maika, Cage, and Blair Underwood all absolutely BODY their roles. The mother's also really good in her older, crazed role. The movie is economical with time when it wants to be. It gives us a "Silence of the Lambs" type intro in 5 minutes and throws a "Shining" twist on top within 10 minutes. That's impressive until you realize that those elements aren't going to come into play nearly as much as they should.

I also love some of the shots in this movie. The red block opening sets the tone; some of the tracking and over-the-shoulder shots are fantastic, and I LOVE the shots where the camera cuts off part of the scene on purpose.

The kills are also pretty gnarly in how sudden and violent they tend to be.

The bad:
First and foremost, a lot of my favorite elements get thrown to the side. Maika's got really strong instincts, but they're only useful for some early revelations and then set aside. She's the only woman on the force and mentions that it can be scary, but they never do anything to explore it.

Nicholas Cage performed great, but his makeup didn't do the job. Every time he appeared on screen, members in the audience started chuckling—and that's even before he did his weird schtick. That took away from some of the film's most tense moments. I also don't think we explored his ability to get messages to the children nearly enough. I was absorbed in the moment when he dropped off the message to Maika, but we never get anything like that again.

The conclusion is also fairly disappointing. Even though it was somewhat seeded throughout the story, the mother's confession felt like a cheap resolution because so much was just narrated to the audience. I may appreciate it more on a rewatch when I know to look for clues, but it felt like a sudden and almost forced turn. Meanwhile, I KNEW Underwood's family was doomed as soon as the birthday party invite went out. So they telegraphed a key aspect of the ending in the first 15 minutes, and undercooked another key element of the ending.

To Conclude:
I think it's a good movie, especially if you can fully immerse yourself in it, with high-quality audio and a good screen. But I'm still waiting for the standout horror movie of 2024. We've had a decent amount of good movies at this point, but nothing GREAT. Nothing from this year would crack my top five from last.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
)watched a few older ones

Chopping Mall (1986)
underrated 80's mall horror flick
Dawn of the dead with killer robots

Demon Seed (1977)
Sci-Fi Horror about a rougue A.I .