Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
@Duke Dixon Some of the 'Saw' sequels are remarkably well done in my opinion based around the fact that there's really not much to go off of for most of them. They are really just throwing shyt at the wall and it's wild how some of them still work. There are a couple of the sequels, however, that I would say are unwatchable. 'Saw 3D' is a complete piece of shyt, for example. I haven't seen 'Saw X' yet but it got really good reviews.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
New Religion was slow but eerie! it was cool! 😸
The faculty was cheesy good! 😸
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 is one of my first horror movies when I was young. but for me it still holds up! it makes me want to watch the one with Daddario in it!😸

TCM 3D is kind of a hidden gem :salute:! I guess most people give the edge to the 2003 one, which causes this one to not get its credit. But I watched it back not too long ago, and it's pretty good in its own right! I can't think of many "3D" Horror movies that actually hold up as well...Maybe My Bloody Valentine.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
New Religion was slow but eerie! it was cool! 😸
The faculty was cheesy good! 😸
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 is one of my first horror movies when I was young. but for me it still holds up! it makes me want to watch the one with Daddario in it!😸

I really friggin like it. It's got some of the Audition's dreamy creep vibes and a conclusion that made me rewatch it over. So far this year, it's in my top-two of horror movies along with Talk to Me. But to be fair, I think this year has been light on top-tier horror.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
We've reached the home stretch, fam! This has been really fun so far.

1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Choice (My pick was Talk to Me)
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. Choice (Saw X)

22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)

26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Vicious Fun:
This was my second time watching Vicious Fun, and it held up as a really entertaining horror-comedy. It has a great sense of humor, the actors are all clearly having fun, and I love the assortment of "killers" we get. It's nice to see the movie start from a somewhat realistic place, and go further and further into the shenanigans. By the time we get to the ridiculous police precinct stuff, it's just chaotic glory.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes:
I haven't rewatched the Poughkeepsie Tapes in a while, but it's kinda gone from an overrated found footage horror movie to a pretty underrated one. I see people hate on it because it was so overhyped when it first came out. But this film has a lot of nice touches.

I really like the "tell, don't show" trickery. They tell you about his most heinous crimes and how the worst footage affected everyone who watched. But they only show us the stuff that leads to the worst moments, then leave the rest up to our imagination. It reminds me of how effective Exorcist 3 was when describing crimes after the fact rather than showing the murders.

Also, the footage of the killer in his basement, creeping on victims, will forever be haunting stuff.

The Witch in the Window:
I threw The Witch in the Window on the list because I remembered enjoying it as a smaller-scale horror movie (also, the short run time is nice during this long marathon). It's less a witch movie and more a ghost story on film. The dialogue and acting can be a little shaky in the slower first half-hour, but that lays an excellent foundation for the relationship between the son and father and the importance of the house. There's also a great moment set up by a phone call, and a conclusion that felt fitting.

My issue with this one is a lack of big scares. The jumps didn't land great, and the rest of the scares are more vibes than big cathartic moments.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Finally got in The Wicker Man. I know it deals with pagan worship, but is it ok to show to someone who's a little religious? Like is there any real disrespect towards Jesus and such? We saw Children of The Corn and it had its moments, but I kinda don't wanna watch a movie (with someone) that's a bit extreme like that.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.