Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Victor Frankenstein

This was alright. I think James McAvoy was the highlight of the movie. I like movies with mad scientists so I was entertained. I got had me dieing when he was walking down the street cheering after he got some p*ssy. Frankenstein's monter looked cool. I don't know why I thought this was part of the failed Monster Verse. That Dracula Untold was fire though.

Sleepy Hallow

I haven't seen this for awhile and had fun. The movie was funny and had a good atmosphere.

Crimson Peak

I watched Guillermo del Toro's Gothic epic. Overall I had a good time watching the movie. It's labeled a ghost story but they're few and far in-between, and the least interesting part of the movie. The set design of Crimson Peak was beautiful. The red clay seeping through the walls making it look like house is bleeding :ohlawd:
The costumes were also very well done. The main characters yellow dress was very cool. I think Jessica Chastain stole the show.

I was able to predict all of the twists in this movie except one but I still enjoyed it.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Last night’s watch:

.Haxan - foreign, silent film about witchcraft. For a film that came out over a century ago it’s filled with some :demonic: shyt. :damn:

I thought it was good, but silent films just don’t keep me focused much on the movie. This is the second one I saw and it took me like 3 hours to finish it (it’s 1:45).

.M3gan - this was really good. Curious how the sequel is, but part of me doesn’t want it to come out because no way they can top this one.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
More classic rewatches. The other night 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' and of course I'm talking about 1974. The first thing I'm noticing on the rewatch is how vibrant the colors are for being such an old film. I love the contrast between the outdoors and the grime of the house. It is indeed still one of the scarier horror films around because of how it's shot, it looks like a damn snuff film the first time we see Leatherface pull up and wack dude. The chase through the farmland with the chainsaw roaring is so well done. The final 15-20 minutes is wild. Disgustingly unsettling. A true horror masterpiece.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
More classic rewatches. The other night 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' and of course I'm talking about 1974. The first thing I'm noticing on the rewatch is how vibrant the colors are for being such an old film. I love the contrast between the outdoors and the grime of the house. It is indeed still one of the scarier horror films around because of how it's shot, it looks like a damn snuff film the first time we see Leatherface pull up and wack dude. The chase through the farmland with the chainsaw roaring is so well done. The final 15-20 minutes is wild. Disgustingly unsettling. A true horror masterpiece.
How does X compare to 1974 chainsaw?

Do you think X has too much gloss?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The watch continues:

1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Choice (My pick was Talk to Me)
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)

19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)

21. Choice (Saw X)
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Hell Master:
This was a first time watch for me and this was kinda mid but with charm. It's extremely 80's and a little bit incoherent. I had to look up a couple of reviews to try and piece together wtf I just watched; here's the simplest synopsis without spoilers i can give you:

A doctor was experimenting with a drug that turned homeless people into his mutant drones, but someone caught him and burnt down the lab. He's been hiding for decades, perfecting the formula, and he comes back for revenge on a college campus they built over his burnt-down lab.

It gets convoluted quickly, and they skip important bits of information that you kinda just have to assume or get told way after it matters. But the mutant designs are pretty good, the kills are good, and there's a bunch of campy shyt that ends up being funny. There are some memeable moments and quotes throughout the runtime, that make up for the shoddy acting and randomness. So, it's mid but I actually could see myself revisiting this.

Victor Frankenstein:
I'd never heard of this movie, which is wild considering the cast. It's also got a premise that I think is pretty awesome. We see Dr. Frankenstein researching and trying to put together his Frankenstein monster, so it's a mad scientist prequel. Even better, the story unfolds from Igor's POV aka Frankenstein's biggest fan (played by Daniel Radcliffe). That's a dope setup, and I really enjoyed how it unfolded. I felt bad for Daniel Radcliffe because James McAvoy was acting his ass off and Radcliffe couldn't keep up.

It's a fun flick, and combined with Hell Master, it made for a nice break from the more brutal and serious stuff on the list.

Choice Watch - Saw X:
I've gotta give this movie credit, it does feel like a return to form. The setup runs a little long, but it establishes the worst human beings we've seen put to the test. The traps are among the most brutal in any Saw movie (also, they'd all be impossible to pass IMO). It's also got a fun twist for its closing act, even if its conclusion is a bit predictable. I think I'd set this one as my third favorite, behind the first two movies.

I do have a complaint though...this movie kinda pushes Jigsaw into full-on anti-hero mode. His philosophy always had a twisted sense of morality to it, but the "twisted" part was key. He was still a bad guy. This movie has him as the psycho, torture-killer with a heart of a gold. I don't like that, though I bet it's helpful for setting up a sustainable sequel formula.

Bonus Watch: House of 1000 Corpses
I really enjoy this movie, and the way it wears its influences on its sleeve. The big two for me are Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Natural Born Killers (both absolute classics). What it lacks in coherence, it makes up for with sheer gonzo energy. It's unapologetically going for it, from the performances to the stylish shots (the chase scene in the tunnel being my favorite framing in the movie), to some of the kills.

That said, it's still got some Rob Zombie flaws. TCM and NBK had something to say, with clear narratives. This one's more like a collection of cool shots. In fact, it's almost got a music video vibe to its storytelling. Which helps it stand out even from the rest of Zombie's movies.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
While I was waiting for the night game to come on I threw on 'Wes Craven's New Nightmare.' I have to be honest about it, I still appreciate where he went with it, it was certainly a fresh take and something different for the character and story but I'm not sure it holds up as much on rewatch. I hadn't seen this in years. There's definitely some great scenes here but I feel it's also a bit of a slog at times. Probably an unpopular opinion.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I've been trying to make I through the Saw franchise since yesterday. I was going to watch NCAA Football and then my team lost and said fukk it.I made it to about halfway through Saw 5. I've only ever saw the first 5 movies when they came out.

They were pumping these films out every year like Call of Duty. I respect all the sequels though its kind of like the Friday the 13th of the 21st century. Also like F13th the movies take place right after each other. That's making it fun to watch.

I never noticed how many Ls this police department has taken :mjlol: I'm expecting Ice T to show up as a cop in one of these movies.

I don't care if Meagan Good was my girl. I'm moving from whatever city this is. This dude Jigsaw is a whole Batman villian.