Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
decided to look at the gate again :mjlol:

X1Tc.gif

MV5BOTMwNDk1NTktOTE5MC00YjhmLWE0ZGUtYTYyNDkyMzI3MDdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
I saw this a few months after it released as a little kid....scared the shyt out of me.... :russ: ....me and my brothers use to reinact the scene when his parents came home and grab each other by the throat and say "You've been bad!!!"....:dead:....

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ok as we wait, I want to ask

Best horror sequels or sequel that You would say is better than the original?
Hellraiser 2: Major expansion of the world, brought back all the key players and kept them developing as characters, and gave us some of the best images/moments of the whole series of movies. I slightly edge the first movie, but this is one of the best sequels ever IMO.

Aliens: I like the first one more because this one wasn't as scary to me. But it was action-packed and just awesome. Definitely on the "best sequels" category for me.

Psycho 2: Not as good as the original, but I like to list it because it's slept on for how good it is. They flip the POV, and now we're watching Norman Bates try to live a normal life with a bunch of forces trying to pull him back to Psycho mode.

Exorcist 3: I find it as scary as the first, and it's got arguably the best jump scare ever. Plus the dream sequence is creepy as hell and includes NY Knicks royalty Patrick Ewing.

Ouija: Origin of Evil: I didn't like the first Ouija film, but this one is actually pretty good. So it's a rare "better than the original."

Dr. Sleep: Nothing tops the Shining, but the fact this actually felt like a quality addition to the story really makes it valid for any "top sequels" list in my book.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

That looks good!

1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

The list is ready to go if anyone wants to get a head start marathoning on the weekend. I'm quarantined with the Rona (figures after coming back from Universal Studios' big crowds); so I'll probably be watching a few myself.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Have yall peeped No One Will Save You yet (the Alien home invasion flick with a fantastic trailer)? I thought it was cool...but a bit overhyped. Decent alien horror movie, but when everyone was calling it "like a Black Mirror or Twilight Zone episode," I feel like it could have been just as effective at a tv show length rather than the full feature.

Cool aspects:
- Damn near no dialogue. It's a literal "show, don't tell" movie.
- The aliens have varied designs but still feel like they're from the same group.
- The Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibes through portions of the movie.

The weaknesses:
- Over-reliance on shoddy CGI. It's 2023, and filmmakers still lean too much on CGI when practical effects are almost always better.
- Although the situations vary, the story still started to feel redundant to me.
- The ambiguous ending didn't really land for me, though maybe a second watch will let me play with theories.

It's a solid 2.5 out of 5 for me. But that's disappointing when I loved the premise and got hype from the trailer.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Have yall peeped No One Will Save You yet (the Alien home invasion flick with a fantastic trailer)? I thought it was cool...but a bit overhyped. Decent alien horror movie, but when everyone was calling it "like a Black Mirror or Twilight Zone episode," I feel like it could have been just as effective at a tv show length rather than the full feature.

Cool aspects:
- Damn near no dialogue. It's a literal "show, don't tell" movie.
- The aliens have varied designs but still feel like they're from the same group.
- The Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibes through portions of the movie.

The weaknesses:
- Over-reliance on shoddy CGI. It's 2023, and filmmakers still lean too much on CGI when practical effects are almost always better.
- Although the situations vary, the story still started to feel redundant to me.
- The ambiguous ending didn't really land for me, though maybe a second watch will let me play with theories.

It's a solid 2.5 out of 5 for me. But that's disappointing when I loved the premise and got hype from the trailer.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
That looks good!

1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. *Choose your own*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. *Choose your own*
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)
17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)
19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

The list is ready to go if anyone wants to get a head start marathoning on the weekend. I'm quarantined with the Rona (figures after coming back from Universal Studios' big crowds); so I'll probably be watching a few myself.

I created a Trakt watchlist for all the movies. Anyone can create an account and follow along with whatever apps they have so that they can keep track of what they watch.

If you click a movie and select watch now it will show you all the streaming services the film is available on.

Click the Link Here
Sort by "Date Added". You might need to hit the ⬆️ to change the order so that Trick R Treat is 1st. I added The Nightmare on Elm Street movies as a placeholder for "Choose your own".

Edit: I got the wrong Mill on there. I added so now it's after Halloween. So if you read this make sure to watch this one with Lil Rel over the 2008 movie.

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
So they are rebooting , the toxic avenger and hellraiser

:dahell: Will post links once confirmed

1st screening of Toxic Avenger was last Friday in Austin at FANTASTIC FEST. The movie seems to be ok and Peter Dinklage is Toxie.
Link

The Hellraiser reboot came out last year. It sars Bobby Hill's daughter. The movie was alright.

Ok as we wait, I want to ask

Best horror sequels or sequel that You would say is better than the original?

I agree on the movies I've seen with @storyteller. I haven't seen Alien and Aliens since I got a boxset but I plan on watching them back to back. Another franchise that's similar is that I love Terminator 2. T2 is just a fun movie to watch and the action still hold up.

Of the Dead:
OG Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite movies ever. Been awhile since I've seen Day.

Hellraiser:
I watched 1 and 2 years apart a long time ago and I enjoyed 2 a lot. Need to rewatch to see which one I like more.

Friday the 13th:
The best movies in the series are Part 4: The Final Chapter, and Part 6: Jason Lives. Others might be better than the 1st but those are my favorites.

Nightmare on Elm Street:
I always go back and forth on if part 3 is better than the 1st.

Chucky:
The 2nd one is better. I'd watch Bride of Chucky anytime probably my favorite even though it isn't the best.

Leperchaun:
Any "In tha Hood" movies are for sure better than the 1st. I don't remember 2-4 like that. Last time I tried to watch part 1 I felt bored and I was :mjlit: so that shouldn't have been the case. I had to turn the shyt off half way and watch something else.

Not as Big Franchises:
  • I like Devil's Rejects more than House of 1000 Corpses
  • I think Warlock 2 is on par with the 1st movie. The amish hero from the 1st movie makes the OG better but the sequel does everything else better. If you like Wishmaster this movie is very similar.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
Hellraiser 2: Major expansion of the world, brought back all the key players and kept them developing as characters, and gave us some of the best images/moments of the whole series of movies. I slightly edge the first movie, but this is one of the best sequels ever IMO.

Aliens: I like the first one more because this one wasn't as scary to me. But it was action-packed and just awesome. Definitely on the "best sequels" category for me.

Psycho 2: Not as good as the original, but I like to list it because it's slept on for how good it is. They flip the POV, and now we're watching Norman Bates try to live a normal life with a bunch of forces trying to pull him back to Psycho mode.

Exorcist 3: I find it as scary as the first, and it's got arguably the best jump scare ever. Plus the dream sequence is creepy as hell and includes NY Knicks royalty Patrick Ewing.

Ouija: Origin of Evil: I didn't like the first Ouija film, but this one is actually pretty good. So it's a rare "better than the original."

Dr. Sleep: Nothing tops the Shining, but the fact this actually felt like a quality addition to the story really makes it valid for any "top sequels" list in my book.

Dr. Sleep is SO slept on.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Dr. Sleep is SO slept on.

I don't know what I was on when I watched that. I was watching it blind somehow and was like this shyt like The Shining :ohhh: Then after the 2nd or 3rd scene with Danny I was like, "I don't know who this guy is but they should get him to do that Obi Wan Kenobi show if they get to it:ohhh:" I had to pause the movie on HBOmax and google it and I felt like an idiot:snoop: