Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
that movie is the shyt!! 😻 😻 😻 😻 I knew you would like it!
This is what the genre has been missing - this movie said Fuk all that touchy feely slow build art house psychological ish -
:umad:

:damn:
There’s a reason why that demon book was locked in a bank vault.., her stupid kid
:gucci::beli:
Guess I’m not sleeping tonight 😭

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
that movie is the shyt!! 😻 😻 😻 😻 I knew you would like it!
Damn this movie was good !!!! 12/10… sheeeeeessh. The most disturbing and scariest movie that I’ve seen in the past 10 years…early. There’s so much to take in and decipher. I’ll have to post my commentary tomm; I’m still in the Evil Dead Rises post horror haze. Movie was gory but it was well done gore - the visual affects went crazy , the fact that they humanized the experience and tapped on the wurst fears coming true scenario -

Bout to watch happy little trees and bubbling brooks for balance to calm down - I’m bugging out :ohmy: 😳

Realm-Breaker

Sometimes known as Were-Breaker/Cunning Linguist
Daps
Reppin
Realm far from here
Damn this movie was good !!!! 12/10… sheeeeeessh. The most disturbing and scariest movie that I’ve seen in the past 10 years…early. There’s so much to take in and decipher. I’ll have to post my commentary tomm; I’m still in the Evil Dead Rises post horror haze. Movie was gory but it was well done gore - the visual affects went crazy , the fact that they humanized the experience and tapped on the wurst fears coming true scenario -

Bout to watch happy little trees and bubbling brooks for balance to calm down - I’m bugging out :ohmy: 😳

I'm glad you liked it! It's one of my favorite movies of the year so far! 😹

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I wasn't as high as other people on Evil Dead Rise but its still the best horror movie of the year I've seen. So far my list is probably this

Evil Dead Rise
Renfield
Scream VI
Infinity Pool
M3GAN
Sick
The Reading
Knock At the Cabin
The Strays
Cocaine Bear
The Devil Conspiracy
Kill Her Goats

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
While I was looking for Horror movies that released this year I saw that they're coming out with In Search of Darkness: 1990 - 1994 October 1st, 2023. It's made by the same people that did the documentaries about 80s horror. They were all well done if you're interested and are curious to watch.

There's some good movies that I've seen released in that time and others that I've been meaning to check out or revisit.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Evil Dead rises was insane and extremely unsettling -
That movie didn’t even let you get cozy on the couch before they started the craziness

EDR took my top five scariest of all time list next to Sinister, Insidious

After the watch, I needed more backstory bc I haven’t really followed the ED series, franchise

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Can’t believe they originally wanted this to stream exclusively on HBO Max. Nah, I need that phantom tracking shot on the Dolby screen. :hhh:

Possessed mothers going after their very own children is scary as shyt. Word to Toni Collette. :huhldup:
The mother from Evil Dead Rise looked like she was possessed by a demon before the actual demon infested her - she looked distant, angry and cold from the start. I wonder if that made her more susceptible to possession because she was so unstable. that apartment was dark - everything was dark, then cue the scene where the youngest daughter cut off the doll’s head and put it on a stick😭👀

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
***Spoilers ahead ***
Jason Voorhees Is A Deadite

S9uAKAx.jpg

After the appearance of The Evil Dead’s Necronomicon Ex-Mortis in the Voorhees basement during Jason Goes to Hell, it spawned a theory that Jason Voorhees is, in fact, a Deadite. This was further explored in the comics Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash. We recently spoke with Adam Marcus, director of Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, about Jason’s Deadite status during the film series.

After having questions about how Jason goes from a boy to a grown man so quickly, and a seemingly immortal man at that, Marcus wanted to “create a mythology for Jason in this movie, because it had driven me nuts as a viewer.” Which brings us to the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis. It was meant to serve a purpose, and not just as an awesome Easter egg.

While talking with Sam Raimi, Marcus came up with the idea: “She [Pamela Voorhees] makes a deal with the devil by reading from the Necronomicon to bring back her son. This is why Jason isn’t Jason. He’s Jason plus The Evil Dead, and now I can believe that he can go from a little boy that lives in a lake, to a full grown man in a couple of months, to Zombie Jason, to never being able to kill this guy. That, to me, is way more interesting as a mashup, and Raimi loved it!”

He goes on to say, “It’s not like I could tell New Line my plan to include The Evil Dead, because they don’t own The Evil Dead. So it had to be an Easter egg, and I did focus on it…there’s a whole scene that includes the book, and I hoped people would get it and could figure out that’s what I’m up to. So yes, in my opinion, Jason Voorhees is a Deadite. He’s one of The Evil Dead.”

Some fans may refute this by saying Jason Goes to Hell isn’t canon, but to those people Marcus says, “It absolutely is canon.”

[Exclusive] Jason Goes to Hell Director: Jason Voorhees IS a Deadite

Had to bump this. What other “Easter eggs” or references did y’all catch in Evil Dead Rise?
***SPOILERS***

- the blood elevator scene from The Shining
- Ash’s voice cameo is the priest from the record
- upside down crosses from the vault
- opening scene photo of the cabin/ also looks like a pyramid
- Jessica rising from the water also mimics Jason Friday the 13th rising from the water

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Evil Dead Rise is a GREAT horror movie, up there with everything except for my favorite in the franchise (Evil Dead 2 is on my GOAT-list). I genuinely have to rewatch Evil Dead 1 and the 2013 remake to see how they stack against Rise. Pre-watch I'm at -
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead (2013)
EVR
Evil Dead (original)
Army of Darkness

With all five being anywhere from very good to All-Time territory. For EVR let's go positives and negatives:

Positives -
Moving away from the log cabin and into a high rise (those clever titling mofos) is a nice refresher. It held onto the claustrophobia but in a totally unique setting the other movies.

The acting. The main Deadite killed her role both pre-possession and after. The lead was good, the child acting was strong.

The kills...most important thing to a lot of horror movies. This one had some really imaginative moments. I loved the moments looking through the door's peek-hole and hearing more than you saw. The final kill was gross and bloody epic stuff.

More serious plotting. The family dynamics were done better here than in 2013; there were some interesting allegories and character developments for the lead and her experience. It all came together nicely for the most serious Evil Dead film so far, which might have helped with the scare factor.

The expanding world. The fact that we're moving away from the lake house and the implications of the recording mean that the next films have a world to branch out into.

Negatives -
Not enough humor. I know that's a weird complaint for a horror movie, but a staple of Evil Dead's possessed are that they mess with the victims in ways that can sometimes be funny. It actually lends to the paranoia and helps it feel like even the people still alive are losing their shyt. This movie didn't have any of that, beyond the eye scene.

Gross...all the Evil Dead movies are pretty gross, but this is the first one to make me stop eating my popcorn. I don't equate gross to scary, so it felt unnecessarily disgusting at times...though that actually does fit with parts of the previous installments.

The links felt light, or invisible even. The style and the book and the callbacks were there. But I didn't feel like this connected to the original trilogy or even the 2013 version in many meaningful ways. That's a nitpick more than a problem, but I wish they'd tied things together more neatly.

The final thoughts:
GREAT movie, especially refreshing during this recent drought of quality that's left me watching foreign horror almost exclusively. I can't put it above Evil Dead 2 which is the benchmark for the series. I think it's up there in terms of quality with everything else, but I might edge 2013 and the Original because they felt more connected to the rest. This one feels like it stepped out from the boundaries of those films, which led to really promising results. But it makes me a little nervous that they may branch out so far that it stops feeling like franchise I grew up obsessed with (ie: how I feel about the newer Scream installments).

4/5 stars...If only I could make a gun totin' loomis, i'd edit the eyes white and make him a deadite version to paste four of :mjlol:

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Evil Dead Rise is a GREAT horror movie, up there with everything except for my favorite in the franchise (Evil Dead 2 is on my GOAT-list). I genuinely have to rewatch Evil Dead 1 and the 2013 remake to see how they stack against Rise. Pre-watch I'm at -
Evil Dead 2
Evil Dead (2013)
EVR
Evil Dead (original)
Army of Darkness

With all five being anywhere from very good to All-Time territory. For EVR let's go positives and negatives:

Positives -
Moving away from the log cabin and into a high rise (those clever titling mofos) is a nice refresher. It held onto the claustrophobia but in a totally unique setting the other movies.

The acting. The main Deadite killed her role both pre-possession and after. The lead was good, the child acting was strong.

The kills...most important thing to a lot of horror movies. This one had some really imaginative moments. I loved the moments looking through the door's peek-hole and hearing more than you saw. The final kill was gross and bloody epic stuff.

More serious plotting. The family dynamics were done better here than in 2013; there were some interesting allegories and character developments for the lead and her experience. It all came together nicely for the most serious Evil Dead film so far, which might have helped with the scare factor.

The expanding world. The fact that we're moving away from the lake house and the implications of the recording mean that the next films have a world to branch out into.

Negatives -
Not enough humor. I know that's a weird complaint for a horror movie, but a staple of Evil Dead's possessed are that they mess with the victims in ways that can sometimes be funny. It actually lends to the paranoia and helps it feel like even the people still alive are losing their shyt. This movie didn't have any of that, beyond the eye scene.

Gross...all the Evil Dead movies are pretty gross, but this is the first one to make me stop eating my popcorn. I don't equate gross to scary, so it felt unnecessarily disgusting at times...though that actually does fit with parts of the previous installments.

The links felt light, or invisible even. The style and the book and the callbacks were there. But I didn't feel like this connected to the original trilogy or even the 2013 version in many meaningful ways. That's a nitpick more than a problem, but I wish they'd tied things together more neatly.

The final thoughts:
GREAT movie, especially refreshing during this recent drought of quality that's left me watching foreign horror almost exclusively. I can't put it above Evil Dead 2 which is the benchmark for the series. I think it's up there in terms of quality with everything else, but I might edge 2013 and the Original because they felt more connected to the rest. This one feels like it stepped out from the boundaries of those films, which led to really promising results. But it makes me a little nervous that they may branch out so far that it stops feeling like franchise I grew up obsessed with (ie: how I feel about the newer Scream installments).

4/5 stars...If only I could make a gun totin' loomis, i'd edit the eyes white and make him a deadite version to paste four of :mjlol:

:deadrose:
@Jello Biafra we need you back asap!!!!you’ve been summoned, my guy🖤 ^^^^

There was sooo much blood so soooooo much blood. Where did They possibly manufacture that much blood from ?

This might be new favorite reboot (is it a reboot or a sequel?) franchise to replace Halloween Ends/kills.

I’m about to watch EDR again right Damn now - seeing it on a week night didn’t suffice and I wasn’t able to finish my commentary. And I knew that I had to be up at 6am this morning but now I can watch sans distractions