Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Watched Climax last night. Cinemax has it billed as a horror but after watching for an hour I'm like :dahell: so I looked it up on Google and they have it listed as "Drama/Musical" :gucci::childplease::hhh:

Don't get me wrong I actually enjoyed it enough to watch the rest but it's criminal to label this a horror. I done cut all the lights off, it's midnight I'm ready for some spooky time and this is the shyt I was duped into. Funny enough it really did have a set up for a scary ass movie too but after they got to busting out in the umpteenth dance routine I'm like aight something's not right :beli:

Any of y'all ever seen Climax? Interested in your thoughts. I've read from people that watched it, but not from the perspective of it supposed to be a horror movie
Loved it. It’s definitely a psychological horror when the spiked sangria starts settling in and the descent into madness takes over.

Movie reminded me of the nights out I’ve had where the amount of crazy shyt that had transpired by the brink of dawn was a complete 180 to the calmness at the start. Nothing as disturbing as what was in this movie, but stuff that definitely made me say “Oh shyt, THAT happened.” Just worst case scenario after another when I thought I was gonna have a great time out, and that’s what this film felt like in the back half.

Seeing some of these characters’ friendships go from tight to irreparably fractured by the end of the night was hard to sit through and something I sadly related with.

Last edited:

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
I heard it was a horror movie and had it on my que list.
You should watch, just not with the preconceived notion of conventional horror. Keep reading...

Loved it. It’s definitely a psychological horror when the spiked sangria starts settling in and the descent into madness takes over.

Movie reminded me of the nights out I’ve had where the amount of crazy shyt that had transpired by the brink of dawn was a complete 180 to the calmness at the start. Nothing as disturbing as what was in this movie, but stuff that definitely made me say “Oh shyt, THAT happened.” Just worst case scenario after another when I thought I was gonna have a great time out, and that’s what this film felt like in the back half.

Seeing some of these characters’ friendships go from tight to irreparably fractured by the end of the night was hard to sit through and something I sadly related with.
Yep loved it too (ehh maybe just a strong like, but still) but gonna have to disagree on the "horror" label. For Example Speak No Evil is a psychological horror, and although I thought it was kinda stupid, it at least seems to fall in line with the tradional sense of horror.

To dance around spoiling anything, I definitely agree that with over half of the movie already over there does begin to be a feeling of dread and uneasiness that comes over the viewer watching things unravel, but those feelings can also be evoked in a thriller or suspense as well. I don't think what actually occurs can be considered "horror" though. I totally get that this is a brilliant film that manages to bring real feelings out of someone watching it. I also understand that what the characters are experiencing must be awful and not at all an ideal situation to find themselves in. Only problem is that, again, these characteristics I'm describing are not exclusive to the "horror" genre.

This is why I want others to watch and join in on the discussion. I feel it's huge for us as thecoli horror task force to come up with a clear, concise, widely agreed upon definition of what horror actually is. You couldn't ask for a better case study than "Climax". It skirts along the lines of what the "horror" genre is and even Google doesn't define it as such. I'm willing to include it in horror if we agree to be lax with the definition. I know that horror is an umbrella with many sub-genres within itself, but I would think something with that label needs to have more horrifying things actually occur as opposed to relying on the fear of the unknown. That's as much as I'll say without spoiling but for those who have watched you know exactly what I mean.

It's somewhere standing adjacent to suspense, horror, drama, and MUSICAL lol

Last edited:

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
Those characters in Climax, unbeknownst to them, just downed a bowl of spiked Sangria with potent LSD and are now living out their own nightmares through a series of bad trips. The premise alone sounds like a horror.
I can summarize the OG Power Rangers movie and make it sound like a horror too if you'd like?

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
Go ahead. :krs:

no, nikka:heh: you get my point though. you can't just decide what something is based off a couple sentences or even a trailer. Each individual needs to watch it for themselves and report back how it made them feel.

Because in reality, that's the only thing we're actually even discussing here. Do these movies feel like horror. It's all subjective, which is cool, but I'm just curious to know what others think.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Bloody Birthday (1981)

decent 80's slasher re watched for the first time in about 15 years.
nothing special , typical 80s slasher, but enjoyable

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
I've been thinking of watching them since i've been on a kung-fu fix recently. I'll wait til Halloween. :skip:
surprisingly decent makeup fx in the first one and the fights are choreographed well enough. The story is just.....MEH

I don't know what the hell was going on in the sequel "maybe prequel",
and that ending :what:

I would definitely wait.

abominable1

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
RIP. to the crazy neighbor mom in F13 pt 5

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin