Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Yeah, man, first time I’m doing this for the entire month. Lots of new stuff I’m watching that I’ve been holding off on until the time came.

I’ll be active in here during the month. :salute:
New commenter?? There are Initiation questions for this thread
1. Name a Rob Zombie movie and explain in 4 sentences or less why you liked or disliked the movie.
OR
2. How do you feel about Halloween 2007?
:leostare:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
This. Hooked after the first episode - THE CAPTURE.
Deep fakes, technology and surveillance thriller

The_Capture_TV_Miniseries-457303334-mmed.jpg

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
New commenter?? There are Initiation questions for this thread
1. Name a Rob Zombie movie and explain in 4 sentences or less why you liked or disliked the movie.
OR
2. How do you feel about Halloween 2007?
:leostare:
I’ve been posting in here from time to time. :dwillhuh:

It’s just the first I’m gonna spend the entire month of October watching horror films.

But to answer you questions: I didn’t care for Zombie’s originals when I watched them when they dropped. However, I’m willing to give them another shot.

And I liked his Halloween movies. But I’m a Myers stan, so my opinion is biased. :yeshrug:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I may have to go back and rewatch this. I don’t remember this scene.

Back when I used to blog I would do this thing comparing remakes to the originals and that clip reminded me that I did one for the Carrie movies.

CARRIE 1976 VS CARRIE 2013
SyPQ3XZ.jpg

Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) vs Carrie White (Chloë Grace Moretz)

0DAYOXI.jpeg
Neither of the actresses that have portrayed Carrie White on the big screen has fit the original description of the character from the Stephen King novel who was a chubby girl with a face full of acne and oily, stringy hair. Chloë Grace Moretz is a very pretty girl and all of the slouching in frumpy clothing can’t change that simple fact. Moretz does try her best to portray Carrie’s feelings of being an outsider and she does a good job of making the character’s longing to fit in and be normal ring true. She does seem a bit more consciously malicious in the prom revenge scenes than I was expecting her to be. Spacek on the other hand was like a walking, talking raw nerve who would crumble if someone said hello too loudly. Spacek also did a better job of seeming outside herself during the prom scenes when Carrie flips out so that once she comes back down to Earth her shock and horror at what she has done seemed more organic than Moretz’s reaction. I think the biggest difference between the two actresses portrayals were that I ended up feeling far more empathy for Spacek’s Carrie just because of how pitiful Spacek played her.
Advantage: Carrie ’76

Margaret White (Piper Laurie) vs Margaret White (Julianne Moore)

mGAZHhQ.jpeg
The performances by these two actresses playing the same character could not be more different. Piper Laurie’s Margaret was a pious, judgmental, insane force of nature who strutted through the original 'Carrie' like she owned the place. She was over-the-top in her every action and seemed to have hardly any true love or affection for her daughter.
Julianne Moore’s Margaret was a tragic, broken woman who was almost fearful of everything from the outside world to the woman her daughter was becoming to the powers her daughter developed. I actually felt pity for Moore’s Margaret throughout the movie but I had more fun watching Piper Laurie.​

Sue & Tommy (Amy Irving & William Katt) vs Sue & Tommy (Gabriella Wilde & Ansel Elgort)
k0FRJQ4.jpg
Amy Irving and William Katt were no great shakes as the most popular couple in high school in the original film but they were miles better than Wilde and Elgort whose performances were more suited to an ABC Family TV show than a big screen movie. Elgort is just not an actor I enjoy in anything.
And a major sticking point with me for Wilde’s version of Sue was how quickly she went from being a willing part of the crowd that picked on Carrie to immediately feeling super guilty. The change of heart seemed to happen in one scene and never really felt all that genuine.​

Chris Hargensen (Nancy Allen) vs Chris Hargensen (Portia Doubleday)
tffDfVj.jpg
Chris Hargensen is one of my favorite teen movie villainesses and Nancy Allen played her perfectly. She was a typical rich bytch who felt she should always get her way and when she didn’t get her way she would lose it. And her progression over the course of the original film worked because she went from run of the mill mean girl to coming close to crossing the line to just becoming a bit homicidal in a much more natural way than Portia Doubleday did in the remake.
The remake’s Chris was pretty much a psychotic maniac from her first scene and Doubleday’s hammy performance only served to exaggerate things even more. There was not an ounce of nuance in her performance and no safe place for any scenery to escape her constant chewing.​

Miss Collins (Betty Buckley) vs Ms. Desjardin (Judy Greer)

4dcPjo6.jpeg
I still don’t know why Brian DePalma changed the name of the tough as nails gym teacher who befriended Carrie but whatever his reasons it didn’t stop Miss Collins from being every bit the broad you don’t wanna mess with and in Betty Buckley’s hands I sometimes felt a bit worried for the girls in her charge because it seemed like Miss Collins was two seconds from dropkicking them to death if they stepped out of line.
Judy Greer’s Ms Desjardin was not quite as physical or gruff as Miss Collins but she was still a tough cookie and her protective feelings towards Carrie were very evident. While I liked both performances and thought Greer was able to be more convincingly empathetic than Buckley, I just loved the fact that Buckley's teacher was not a fan of those badass kids and she took no steps to hide her disdain.

1976 Movie vs 2013 Movie

AkAG0A1.jpeg
When watching the Brian DePalma directed 'Carrie' today, one immediately notices how dated the film looks. While almost any film made over 35 years ago would look dated, the original 'Carrie' has the look and feel of one of those Afterschool Specials from the 70s where everything looks like the camera was smeared with Vaseline before filming. But aside from the look of the film, the original 'Carrie' still stands up as a movie. The acting from the primaries (especially Spacek and Laurie) was stellar and the direction by DePalma was great especially for the times.
The 2013 'Carrie' is not a bad film but it falters under the weight of the inevitable comparisons to the original. Moretz, for as good of an actress as she may be, doesn’t measure up to Spacek’s performance; Julianne Moore is a great actress but Piper Laurie got that Oscar nomination for a reason; and director Kimberly Peirce does her job competently enough but she brings nothing special to the proceedings to make this version of 'Carrie' stand out.
I was hoping that Peirce would make her film as more of a reproduction of the novel which would have set it apart from the original film but what she gave us was much too close to the the 1976 movie for my taste.

Final Verdict

ehX8c2u.jpeg
The original 'Carrie' is a horror classic and one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novel ever. It features top notch acting from it’s two main stars that still is remembered fondly to this day.
The remake is a good enough horror movie that would be considered very good if it was not a remake of a beloved classic film. But instead it just seems like one of the more unnecessary remakes in recent times.
Carrie 1976 - 6 / Carrie 2013 - 0

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Contacting the Empty Man sure is complicated.
That was my first issue with the movie.

I don't know any kids that would even remember all of those steps let alone even be motivated to do them.

The Empty Man should be sitting in whatever corner of hell he lives in sad and bored because no one is calling his bum ass because of all them damn steps.

abd5e23654e570b5b1b06445c85a1e3d825b595er1-245-245_00.gif

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
That was my first issue with the movie.

I don't know any kids that would even remember all of those steps let alone even be motivated to do them.

The Empty Man should be sitting in whatever corner of hell he lives in sad and bored because no one is calling his bum ass because of all them damn steps.

abd5e23654e570b5b1b06445c85a1e3d825b595er1-245-245_00.gif
Goddamn 10 Crack Commandments of ghost summoning.

:beli: