Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Bruh I swear some deluded dudes in TLR will think they can survive Halloween town :mjlol:
Mf sleeping is a death sentence:mjlol:
All those guys will spread out and cover parameters to hunt you :mjlol:

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
Ok, I watched Conjuring 3 last night and I enjoyed it.

What I liked:

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga continue to have wonderful chemistry with one another as Ed and Lorraine Warren.

I thought it played like an extended episodic TV show and is what I would expect a TV series based on this property to be like.

I enjoyed the goofball nature of them having an adult Wednesday Addams as the satanic serial killer.

I liked how they expanded Lorraine's powers to be more proactive; she was like born again Christian Jean Grey in this movie.

The swerve of their being satanic cults who curse people was cool. It moved us away from the normal demonic possession stuff that we've seen already with this movie universe while creating a flesh and blood human adversary that can be used as the villains in movies going forward.

The jump scares were well done and even though Michael Chaves isn't as good at making these types of movies as James Wan is, Chaves did manage to get a really cool spooky vibe throughout which surprised me because I was not a fan of his previous work, The Curse of La Llorona.

John Noble is one of my favorite character actors so it was cool to see him pop up in this.

Also, every time I watch one of these Conjuring movies it strikes me at just how pro Christianity they are.

They should be showing these joints in churches.
I enjoyed the movie. Wish they wouldn’t
have kept showing that damn pill bottle. Had me yelling at the tv every time he started running or getting his heart rate up.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wishmaster:myman:

...one of my favorite 90s Horror gem:banderas:

Freddy Krueger & Candyman unassuming cameo, tho:krs:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I enjoyed the movie. Wish they wouldn’t
have kept showing that damn pill bottle. Had me yelling at the tv every time he started running or getting his heart rate up.
I wasn't a fan of the heart attack angle either. Seemed like a hacky way for them to get Lorraine to take the lead which could've been done without hobbling Ed.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I still gotta watch the Conjuring. But Peeped Spiral...discussed it as the closing segment in this podcast with my brother and friend Boom (we've done a horror segment the past couple episodes, this one starts at 43 minutes in).

The Fans Perspective - Episode 66 - Money over Maverick on Stitcher
or
‎The Fans Perspective: Episode 66 - Money over Maverick on Apple Podcasts
or
Episode 66 - Money over Maverick

That's with limited time to get into it though. My main thoughts:
- Chris Rock was hit or miss in his performance. What killed me was how often he threw in jokes and quips. Even when it's a serious scene, dude is dropping jokes and punchlines.

- The traps are the best part, there are some really creative and brutal kills in here. Saw traps kinda became like Final Destination deaths after the first film...you watch to see the crazy ways people get taken out and everything else kinda just gets you from one trap to the next.

- But one thing missing from these traps is the spirit of redemption. That was the most interesting aspect of the first couple movies and they've still failed to get back to that. Jigsaw as a psycho that fancies himself a redeemer for his would-be victims is always gonna be more interesting than Jigsaw the punisher to me.

- This iteration went for a deeper plot, but I felt like it gave too much away. It wasn't as clever as it had hoped to be and I thought they kinda gave away the twists for most of the second half of the movie. The red herrings and misdirects just didn't land for me...but it's still a step up imo from most of the prior plots.

- In that same light, characters have backstories and history which is nice. The world is developed enough to feel organic, though it is almost cartoonishly dark and corrupted. It's not necessarily a bad thing, especially with a punishment focused approach...but it would be nice if I felt invested in more characters surviving this whole mess rather than rooted for a bunch of them to get Jigsaw'ed.

Anyway...not bad, but not great. I'd take it over every Saw after 1 and 2 but it's not touching those two in my book. That's a bit disappointing with the caliber of cast for the movie, but I do think it leaves us with a nice spin on the concept. I like the concept of Jigsaw copycats attaching their own ideals and beliefs to his legend, but I'd just expand that ish and take it to the max. Let's get more than one Jigsaw-minded character and have their ideals clash somehow. They're turning these mastermind characters into unstoppable geniuses and at this point...the only way I expect one to slip up and lose will be facing a similar super genius. Not the highly flawed targets that get hand-selected before they even have a chance.

abominable1

the fukkery, the sweet ,sweet fukkery
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@RGM
Indie Art house body horror

Barbara Crampton stimulus

actually pretty good, a little slow though